Sponsored

The "Safe" Limit, cutting out all the crap.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

''Roughly'' the same as the mustang/ ranger/ focus RS.... there are variances in there we can pick apart if necessary.
Of.course. Just can't wait to build another car soon
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Drag strip Bronco. The engineers will be so proud.

FWIW, you didn't post any of the tuning info from Ranger5G, that's interesting you didn't follow the closest engine to the Bronco, but instead went to the "car versions" of the motor. Seems that you should check out the Ranger tunes/builds. Including the guy who blew up his 2.3 and want's to blame it on Ford after getting it tuned (spoiler alert: Ford isn't covering the motor replacement, duh).

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drag strip Bronco. The engineers will be so proud.

FWIW, you didn't post any of the tuning info from Ranger5G, that's interesting you didn't follow the closest engine to the Bronco, but instead went to the "car versions" of the motor. Seems that you should check out the Ranger tunes/builds. Including the guy who blew up his 2.3 and want's to blame it on Ford after getting it tuned (spoiler alert: Ford isn't covering the motor replacement, duh).
I had to quit my ranger5g obsession after I came to grips that Badlands > Tremor for my application. But i was on there and have read all the big turbo threads there too. Full disclosure I just utilized google fodder to substantialize this post through shit links.

I am personally torn on being happy with the substantial offering the factory is giving us and saying "F" it and building my own version of a monster. I would definitely go 2.0 block and compound turbos.

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Btw, is there an exhaust/DP combo that doesn't drone when not in use. Problem with my Audi is did a Turbo back and while I'm fine with it now, dont wanna'nother droney 4banger when Im cruising on the highway

Most downpipes don't drone when the engine is off. I'm surprised your Audi is loud when not in use. ( I am HALARIOUS) I assume you mean.... does not drone when not in boost??? I dumped post cat with my A4, no drone. its those long straight runs that make goofy noises. Turbos are excellent mufflers.

I will personally be running straight exhaust from turbo back, or a dump valve post cat.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most downpipes don't drone when the engine is off. I'm surprised your Audi is loud when not in use. ( I am HALARIOUS) I assume you mean.... does not drone when not in boost??? I dumped post cat with my A4, no drone. its those long straight runs that make goofy noises. Turbos are excellent mufflers.

I will personally be running straight exhaust from turbo back, or a dump valve post cat.
Meant when I'm cruising 75-80 on 18, around 2.5-3k rpm. My bad btw, sometimes I speak assuming you know what I mean, but yeah, when it's Cruise Controlled, it's the Drone Zone (Turboback set up here, JHM HFC+B7 S4 Y-pipe and Fast Intentions S4 Quad Tip Catback)

That said, gonna do the DP first and then wait to see what catback works in conjunction without droning when not in use.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Meant when I'm cruising 75-80 on 18, around 2.5-3k rpm. My bad btw, sometimes I speak assuming you know what I mean, but yeah, when it's Cruise Controlled, it's the Drone Zone (Turboback set up here, JHM HFC+B7 S4 Y-pipe and Fast Intentions S4 Quad Tip Catback)

That said, gonna do the DP first and then wait to see what catback works in conjunction without droning when not in use.

I did QTP cutouts on a 3.5 TT Raptor today with a close friend. He said it droned on the Turnpike home( so he closed the dumps), but was great in town before/after highway. If you don't mind flipping the switch a few seconds.... its a possible solution to have loud without drone. Turbos are amazing mufflers, its not ridiculously loud, i followed him for a few miles.

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey @Werkedperformance, I have a BL 2 door 2.7 AT ordered. Is it possible to have a switchable programmed tune? I'm thinking of a sleeper. Switch out wheels and go have some fun with people on pavement? Switch back (the tune and tires) for everyday and off road use.

I have never tuned anything. I figure enough HP hooked up to AWD on the right tires may be fun and then hit a switch, change the tires/wheels and have at it off road would be pretty cool.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did QTP cutouts on a 3.5 TT Raptor today with a close friend. He said it droned on the Turnpike home( so he closed the dumps), but was great in town before/after highway. If you don't mind flipping the switch a few seconds.... its a possible solution to have loud without drone. Turbos are amazing mufflers, its not ridiculously loud, i followed him for a few miles.
Sounds like a plan down the line.

Atm, waiting for mine to be built 7/19, then hoping they got Intercooler's and stuff available before next summer

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey @Werkedperformance, I have a BL 2 door 2.7 AT ordered. Is it possible to have a switchable programmed tune? I'm thinking of a sleeper. Switch out wheels and go have some fun with people on pavement? Switch back (the tune and tires) for everyday and off road use.

I have never tuned anything. I figure enough HP hooked up to AWD on the right tires may be fun and then hit a switch, change the tires/wheels and have at it off road would be pretty cool.
My answer is hypothertical because the Bronco is an unknown entity. The Bronco SHOULD be a Fully Networked Vehicle. The Mustang Mach E, 2021 F150 and New bronco are all FNV on paper according to Ford. This is a new networking and security system that Ford has not used, prior. It will be harder to tune these cars without being an approved FORD tuner or FORD.

Technically you can flash your computer to "tune" and back up to the limits of the flash memory. This was rumored to only take a finite number of cycles on old 80s boards, but a modern chip should take 100K+ flashes. So If you had a capable tuner, you could flip flop safely.

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like a plan down the line.

Atm, waiting for mine to be built 7/19, then hoping they got Intercooler's and stuff available before next summer

You arent too far, you could always ask mishimoto about being a guinea pig/ "scan car" for the intercooler on a V6 platform, they are in Delaware........

I think they do a 3D scan to start R&D for space requirements, but I could be mistaken.... then CAD and proto....

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You arent too far, you could always ask mishimoto about being a guinea pig/ "scan car" for the intercooler on a V6 platform, they are in Delaware........

I think they do a 3D scan to start R&D for space requirements, but I could be mistaken.... then CAD and proto....
Actually gotta 2.3 since it's manual, but ill definitely msg them, since im willing to give it a shot!

Thanks Mike!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
7MTI550 is the Manual transmission going into the Bronco. Its only rated for 400 lbft.

Love to hear thoughts on the topic from others in the know.
On the manual transmission the one thing I know is that it is scaleable to take more power. Getrag says " Modular system for middle and high torque applications, based on output constant mesh concept ". I dont care if we have to swap the whole case, as long as I dont have to deal an auto trans.

OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the manual transmission the one thing I know is that it is scaleable to take more power. Getrag says " Modular system for middle and high torque applications, based on output constant mesh concept ". I dont care if we have to swap the whole case, as long as I dont have to deal an auto trans.
So, anything I have found with a "manual trans unit number" refers to the transmission as a 7MTI550. 550 Nm is the torque spec. I have found no other applications using this transmission or its variants at this time. I could not find any information on "scaling up" or replacing it with a "7MTI850" as of now. I followed the rabbit hole as far as I could and didn't see any light. I would expect for the trans to take some abuse, but the breaking point is the question.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, anything I have found with a "manual trans unit number" refers to the transmission as a 7MTI550. 550 Nm is the torque spec. I have found no other applications using this transmission or its variants at this time. I could not find any information on "scaling up" or replacing it with a "7MTI850" as of now. I followed the rabbit hole as far as I could and didn't see any light. I would expect for the trans to take some abuse, but the breaking point is the question.
Yeah I havent seen any other applications but hopefully the future puts it behind a 7.3 or something for us to swap!

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.3L ecoboost safe limit is around 400ftlb MAX with considerations for longevity..... 350-360 ftlb is where the respected tuners are cutting the torque off, specifically under 3500 RPM because of cylinder pressure. You can make more but it will expose any weakness in the system. Torque is the result of cylinder pressure, but it also lifts heads, bends rods, and exposes weak gaskets. I've been trying to find the limits of the longblock, because that will kinda determine what upgrades are worth the increased performance ceiling they offer, or what upgrades are the best value.

Reference 1:
https://www.focusrs.org/threads/how-much-is-too-much-torque-conflicting-info.49713/

Some hidden gems in that thread. Like:
1. How Ford controls excessive torque with throttle valve and wastegate control.
2. How Ford builds computer control systems in "module format" to work across platfroms, IE trail control.
3. Vaguely describes how the "torque curve" below 3500 is harder on the engine than the curve shifted higher in RPM with less cylinder pressure.

Reference 2:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/30310...le-684-hp-from-2-3-liter-ford-focus-rs-engine

Major points:
1. ALL DI. ALL DIRECT INJECTION. http://www.xtreme-di.com/ Is the supplier here.... This is running E30, but its all DI no IDI or port injection. If you follow me you know. DI systems struggle to FLOW the fuel for the insane HP applications.
2. "Lag" the big turbo for the high HP takes longer to fully spool. Listen close to the soundtrack, the turbo isn't fully "lit" until about 4500 rpm, IMO.
3. E30...... even High test octane isn't enough knock control, meth is needed.....
4. Street or trailability of 1-3...... depending on your application.

Reference 3:

https://www.speedperf6rmanc3.com/pr...-long-block-for-ford-rs-2-3l-rated-700hp.html

1. This is a "700 hp" bottom end build.
2. 2.0L block...(solid deck)
3. Balance shaft delete
4. Keyed Crank, Timing Gear & Crank Pulley

Cross Reference 2.7 TT on big turbos:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-rwhp-shows-off-at-the-drag-strip-137912.html

7MTI550 is the Manual transmission going into the Bronco. Its only rated for 400 lbft.

Love to hear thoughts on the topic from others in the know.
I did a pull on my Escape 2.0 EB and logged the throttle plate. From a standing stop and all the way thru 1st, it's wide open, into 2nd and 3rd gears its closing and not WFO. I find this kinda counter intuitive...
Kinda tells me the tranny is also the weak spot and not the actual driveline....?
Sponsored