Sponsored

The Sams Club tire guy said... bigger tires will tear up my transfer case, transmission, engine, suspension, brakes

TX_Hoss_3.0

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500 4X4 Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I encountered the same problem with trailer tires. Brought the trailer home and put it on jack stands, pulled wheels and tires off, brought them back and they didn’t even question anything.

If possible, do the same with your bronco wheels and they can’t enter a vehicle into the system because it was never there… no original spec decal to compare against
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gnomad

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Shit, I better order a new vehicle. My bronco is probably about ready for the crusher after rolling around on these for a few thousand miles
Screenshot_20220825-191756_Gallery.jpg
Well you were told by the Sams club guy right?
But since you threw caution to the wind and have torn up your Bronco, I'm sure plenty of folks would be willing to arrange for proper disposal. :)

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My base is scheduled for production so now I'm earnestly working on the new tire situation. I love the look of the steelies but not the tires Ford puts on them. Since I'm already in Sams that day I head to the tire department to see what they have, the guy looks up the Bronco, tells me the stock tire size. I tell him I need 265's and of course he isn't going to put them on, but then he proceeds to tell me that going to a bigger tire will tear up my transfer case and transmission, my engine, the suspension, brakes, and render the vehicle unable to be driven safely.

I tell him not to bother any further with looking things up, and he keeps going. You'll never find a shop that will install those tires, the whole industry is going that way, and all the time he has my membership card and seems reluctant to give it back. I had to ask him directly for its return.

It's one thing to be told "we don't do that" I expected it TBH. But the hard sell put me off.
One last thing-I looked at the tire decal in the door jamb of the Wrangler and it lists 3 different tire sizes. Can someone with a base look at theirs and see what it lists? I'm thinking that any tire on that sticker should be a go at any tire shop, even a consumer grade Karen shop like Sams.
The big boxes are often going to go with their official lookup ONLY.

Anything else they think of as an unacceptable risk. I had 33” on my Sport Trac and Costco wouldn’t touch it.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's funny!!! Especially when it's not even reasonable... Ford Bronco to ready for 37" tire from the factory floor.

I have 37" K02s installed from day one. No lift, no levelers, no offset, factory wheels...

Sometimes stupid or ignorance just shows its head in our daily life. Move on and be happy....😎
Its not a matter of being stupid or ignorant, they only put specified size tires because they have been and can be sued if they install the "incorrect" tire. It doesn't matter the Bronco is ready for, they go by the label. Again, blame the Lawyers, its a money grab.

skidsteer

Base
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT crew w/2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
My base is scheduled for production so now I'm earnestly working on the new tire situation. I love the look of the steelies but not the tires Ford puts on them. Since I'm already in Sams that day I head to the tire department to see what they have, the guy looks up the Bronco, tells me the stock tire size. I tell him I need 265's and of course he isn't going to put them on, but then he proceeds to tell me that going to a bigger tire will tear up my transfer case and transmission, my engine, the suspension, brakes, and render the vehicle unable to be driven safely.

I tell him not to bother any further with looking things up, and he keeps going. You'll never find a shop that will install those tires, the whole industry is going that way, and all the time he has my membership card and seems reluctant to give it back. I had to ask him directly for its return.

It's one thing to be told "we don't do that" I expected it TBH. But the hard sell put me off.
One last thing-I looked at the tire decal in the door jamb of the Wrangler and it lists 3 different tire sizes. Can someone with a base look at theirs and see what it lists? I'm thinking that any tire on that sticker should be a go at any tire shop, even a consumer grade Karen shop like Sams.
At one time (don't know about current practices) I was told that to hit their price-point/margin etc. that vendors would cut a corner here & there....so, the code on Michelin Size(s) I checked there had an added code Letter at the end versus the same exact one(s) I checked at other tire shops....having dealt with them selling beer I am not at all surprised at anything they f'n do, say, or sell.....buyer beware---seller go to hell as the song lyrics sez....

Sponsored

GirthBrooks

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco 4 door black diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just bought some KO2s from a customer at work and had my ford dealer put them on for me. They took too long and didn't charge me lol.

But normally I order from tire rack or have the dealer price match from tirerack.com. never had any issues getting what I need and tire rack will tell you what's compatible. Hope this helps!!

B A C N O W

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Costco will only install the stock size as well. Most of my business goes to Discount Tire for this reason since my wife's car has a non-stock size, and so will my Bronco when the factory GYs wear out.
Me and my family have gone to Discount Tire for all of our vehicles! Their service, knowledge, warranties, price matching and convenient locations have served us well for decades! My Bronco will grace their stalls whenever it arrives!

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Me and my family have gone to Discount Tire for all of our vehicles! Their service, knowledge, warranties, price matching and convenient locations have served us well for decades! My Bronco will grace their stalls whenever it arrives!
Thank you for your prior business and patronage, we look forward to serving you and earning your business in the future.

Feel free to reach out if we can ever be of assistance on our end.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E320 CDI and Ram 2500 5.9 cummins man
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
yeah, same prolly at costco, they will only put the "stock" size on.

62chad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive gone to a local tire place my whole life. No appointment needed. They always give you the 4th tire free if you get all 4. Prices are way lower than big box. Free balance and rotations. Line is always out the door, and they always remember your name. Can't beat it. Support your local small businesses.
Sponsored