Sponsored

The start of a much larger problem? Multiple warning lights and flashing gauge cluster

Clean68

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Bronco, 2008 Triumph Thuxton
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
With about 350 miles on my FE the airbag warning light came on, stayed on for 4 days, then turned off. I have not had time to get to the dealer and just figured it sorted itself out. Last night as I was driving on the freeway and the entire gauge cluster started flashing red and beeping constantly saying that collision avoidance system had failed, I pressed ok and cleared it and just thought maybe the sensors are dirty. I then proceed to head up the mountain to my house, 3/4 up the mountain the entire screen starts flashing again, being very loud, a warning, the brake system has failed, the hill assist has failed. I am pressing my brakes as hard as I can and the truck is not stopping. I use the manual shifting to get it to first and slow down. I turn the truck off, turn it on, brakes work, no more warning lights.

I have to drive the truck down the mountain today and I am simply terrified. Has anyone else had this happen? The truck has 1,100 miles on it and is 2 weeks old.

Edit: When I say the brakes failed, they felt exactly as my 1968 Bronco does did with the brake booster went out. As if you're trying to smash a rock with your foot and barely anything is happening. I will be reaching to my dealer and Ford on this forum. I have not driven it since.

Update: The truck is on the way to the dealer, I did not drive it a foot more. Interestingly when I started it today not one warning light was and no error messages in my FordPass app. Says everything is funtioning properly. I have responded to ford on this website since they asked me to message. I have not heard back from them. Will update more when I know more.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Call your local dealership and have it towed. I wouldn't drive it. Good luck.

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wish I could offer more insight - but this sounds like a general computer module failure. A major one; brakes not working is insane, and doesn't fully make sense to me.

Make sure you document everything and bring it to a decent dealer.

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wish I could offer more insight - but this sounds like a general computer module failure. A major one; brakes not working is insane, and doesn't fully make sense to me.

Make sure you document everything and bring it to a decent dealer.
The braking system is mechanical. Are you sure they weren’t working?

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The braking system is mechanical. Are you sure they weren’t working?
That's what I am getting at. OP mentions brakes not functioning, which as you say is mechanical. For them to cease working entirely, only to work again right after is very odd

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You need to be careful. I don’t think you’re allowed to post your experiences on this forum until a dealer can verify that you’re telling the truth. We need to do our best to avoid mass hysteria and the potential we could tarnish Ford’s sterling reputation.

/sarcasm

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With about 350 miles on my FE the airbag warning light came on, stayed on for 4 days, then turned off. I have not had time to get to the dealer and just figured it sorted itself out. Last night as I was driving on the freeway and the entire gauge cluster started flashing red and beeping constantly saying that collision avoidance system had failed, I pressed ok and cleared it and just thought maybe the sensors are dirty. I then proceed to head up the mountain to my house, 3/4 up the mountain the entire screen starts flashing again, being very loud, a warning, the brake system has failed, the hill assist has failed. I am pressing my brakes as hard as I can and the truck is not stopping. I use the manual shifting to get it to first and slow down. I turn the truck off, turn it on, brakes work, no more warning lights.

I have to drive the truck down the mountain today and I am simply terrified. Has anyone else had this happen? The truck has 1,100 miles on it and is 2 weeks old.
Seems like this has been happing to other people as well did you get the abs sensor too I beleave it has to do with a bad sensor or chip someone posted take it to the dealer have them take care of it.

Cartman3132

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Don't understand how these Broncos are having such issues, it's not like these are the first vehicles they've ever made. But I second/third/fourth everyone else, I wouldn't drive that thing.

Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Geez. The list of issues is increasing. From the funny and annoying wrong seats being installed to the catastrophic engines grenading to the now deadly serious brake failures.

We need one of these google docs experts around here to get a spreadsheet going so we can track what is going wrong, how frequently, and to what models and production dates. Maybe there are some patterns to be seen and we can address the issues before total costly failure or damage.

Reactions: Cat

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's what I am getting at. OP mentions brakes not functioning, which as you say is mechanical. For them to cease working entirely, only to work again right after is very odd
When in doubt, safety first. Tow it. The whole thing seems odd, but you can bet your ass, if I felt like the brakes failed or weren't operating properly, the last thing I'm doing is driving it. I'm from flat lands Illinois and I wouldn't drive it here, let alone the mountains.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Makes you wish it had a proper handbrake, that's for sure.
I agree with the previous posts - do not drive it. It's not just for your safety, but for the other road users as well....
Sponsored