Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I love the Warthog and Raptor as much as any cold blooded American, err warm blooded American. I love that Ford Performance exists, and respect the package they deliver, but......

A few thinking points, for you to consider or ignore.....

Point:
Raptors have the cool marker lights on the hood and fenders for a reason..... They are WIDE. Anything over 80" has to have the clearance lights, just like big rigs and F450s. Raptors are W I D E. I love the stability the platform provides, just something to consider dependant on usage. Raptors are not built for the tight woods. I'm having double takes after a short session in a 2019 Raptor today, it's a BIG girl. Not a complaint, just she's alot more truck than a 03 Ranger. Strike One.

Notes: The stock suspension is yet to be consumer tested and I personally have high expectations. The "position sensitive" Bilstein dampers have high promise for the value. They have both internal floating pistons in the reservoirs, giving a more consistent action and more fluid volume. Then they have the bottom out control (End Stop Control Valve) potentially behaving like a hydraulic bump stop. This is huge. It's like trying to pack a trophy truck suspension into the tiniest cheapest simplist easily manufactured shock. If it needs upgrading for most humans is TBD.

Point: Raptors and likely Warthog are automatic. Personally a large reason I have to move on the Bronco is the Manual. It made the sale for me....I passed on the new ranger because slushbox. ( Quick interjection..... New Ford trannies are anything but slushy/slow/or sluggish) I personally enjoy rowing gears. The Warthog will not see a stick. It will have a big boy engine and auto. I don't think we are debating on this point. Strike Two.

Notes: The durability of the 7 speed is TBD, especially at increased output. Ford stock clutches typically support a decent performance boost. The transmissions are hit or miss. The Focus RS and Fiesta ST boxes hold down double output. The mustang box has a class action suit over sloppy synchros.

Point: Raptors dyno 353 Rear Wheel....We should be able to come close with a 2.3
and a "big wheel stock turbo". CR Performance is hitting 340 wheel in an automatic Ranger on 33s, with a big wheel, on 93. Strike 3.

Notes: Stock Raptor. Modded Ranger. Big wheel turbo refers to a "stock" turbo machined out to for a larger compressor impeller on the intake side of the turbo. At 300+ HP most All terrain/Mud tires are screaming for mercy on pavement. You can have more, buy them donuts are not cheap to burn up.

This is not a universal opinion for every human. These are my *current* thoughts 4 Double IPAs in on a Friday Night about my wallet and the Warthog for tight east coast trails.

I believe I can build a better value for the usage and budget than Ford Performance will offer for a trail truck.

Open desert terrain, and silt beds. The horsepower and width prevails... Warthog.

Obviously this is me assuming the Warthog will be a v6, auto, twin turbo, wide ass beast. She could suprise us all and be a compound turbo diesel, manual/ manual t-case, and portal IFS.... But that's not happening. Because Ford Marketing.

References:

Raptor Width:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopn...bout-the-ford-raptor-we-havent-1833846866/amp

Raptor RWHP:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motor1.com/news/297713/ford-raptor-dyno-353-horsepower/amp/

Ranger Big Wheel Turbo:
https://crpengineering.com/product/2019-2020-ford-ranger-2-3l-ecoboost-stage-3-54mm-upgrade-turbo/
Sponsored

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t disagree with your sentiment on width. I’m just thinking for an overland setup that I’m going for, I probably wouldn’t be on super tight trails and the upgraded suspension would be fun to have. Especially coming from a Raptor. But it being all but confirmed as a 2023 model is a pretty big bummer.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Notes: The durability of the 7 speed is TBD, especially at increased output. Ford stock clutches typically support a decent performance boost. The transmissions are hit or miss. The Focus RS and Fiesta ST boxes hold down double output. The mustang box has a class action suit over
The B6 transmission in the FiST is a Ford product to my knowledge, not sure where it was made.

The Mustang tranny and the 7 spds are Getrags, made in China.

I HOPE the 7 spd holds up for folks.

Notes: Stock Raptor. Modded Ranger. Big wheel turbo refers to a "stock" turbo machined out to for a larger compressor impeller on the intake side of the turbo. At 300+ HP most All terrain/Mud tires are screaming for mercy on pavement. You can have more, buy them donuts are not cheap to burn up
I'm a 43 year old man who has been building and modding cars since my adolescence. The last 20 years of which has been on boosted cars. I've never heard this toy sounding term you're using. "Big wheeled stock" sounds like something I rode when I was 3.

What you're referring to is simply called a hybrid turbo.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Werkedperformance

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The B6 transmission in the FiST is a Ford product to my knowledge, not sure where it was made.

The Mustang tranny and the 7 spds are Getrags, made in China.

I HOPE the 7 spd holds up for folks.

I'm a 43 year old man who has been building and modding cars since my adolescence. The last 20 years of which has been on boosted cars. I've never heard this toy sounding term you're using. "Big wheeled stock" sounds like something I rode when I was 3.

What you're referring to is simply called a hybrid turbo.
Indeed sir. I got too technical a few times on here now, so I've been trying to make things easier to follow along with when I post now....

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The Warthog is more my vibe and I might get one. Honestly the biggest reason will likely be the engine choice. Some things are easy to mod (suspension, body panels, etc.) Others are not (engine swap, electronics)

In the end it's not his be here for a minute so I might as well get one now and weigh the cons and benefits when I have actual information.
Sponsored