Theft and Luxe touch screen - sincere question

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Does anybody know, what has been the experience of jeep owners with ragtops and fancy touchscreens? Do thieves steal those touchscreens? Are they somehow chipped so that they’re useless to a thief? I’ve been wondering that. The last convertible in my family was decades ago and it was a pretty basic jeep. Sure enough, thieves stole my brothers radio. He replaced it with the type that you take the face off of. I think back to early 1990s tech. Will I regret my Luxe screen with an eventual rag top?
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never heard of factory radios being stolen. Can't use them in anything else, so that would make for a small market.

That may be a stretch even for Jersey, but Atlanta isn't far behind with stupid crime.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Does anybody know, what has been the experience of jeep owners with ragtops and fancy touchscreens? Do thieves steal those touchscreens? Are they somehow chipped so that they’re useless to a thief? I’ve been wondering that. The last convertible in my family was decades ago and it was a pretty basic jeep. Sure enough, thieves stole my brothers radio. He replaced it with the type that you take the face off of. I think back to early 1990s tech. Will I regret my Luxe screen with an eventual rag top?
I swear, every time I see another post about theft I ask myself, What HOOD do you people live in?

My guess is it will take a bit of dash dismantling to get the screen out. Not sure how much of a blackmarket there is for those screens. Also not sure what the crime rate is in your neighborhood or the places you go.

I'd think this falls into the same category of the people who are worried that the spare tire is going to be stolen. Hell, I'd think you have a better chance of fender flares being taken, just because they're so easy to pop off and people will do it cuz it's funny 🤷‍♂️

Edit: You're northeast Jersey aren't you 😁 in which case you may want a 24 hour guard on that puppy ;)

imnewtothis

Badlands
First Name
Haramol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I swear, every time I see another post about theft I ask myself, What HOOD do you people live in?

My guess is it will take a bit of dash dismantling to get the screen out. Not sure how much of a blackmarket there is for those screens. Also not sure what the crime rate is in your neighborhood or the places you go.

I'd think this falls into the same category of the people who are worried that the spare tire is going to be stolen. Hell, I'd think you have a better chance of fender flares being taken, just because they're so easy to pop off and people will do it cuz it's funny 🤷‍♂️

Edit: You're northeast Jersey around you 😁 in which case you may want a 24 hour guard on that puppy ;)
Hahaha!
To be fair I live in a MUCH better place now but I still go back to Detroit frequently to visit family, friends, etc.
Unfortunately this kind of stuff is always in the back of my mind.

OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Edit: You're northeast Jersey aren't you 😁 in which case you may want a 24 hour guard on that puppy ;)
The knuckleheads in Northern Jersey can be very organized ...

https://newjersey.news12.com/more-t...th-county-part-of-high-end-vehicle-theft-ring

Yep - 24 hour guard, with machine gun nests and very unfriendly patrol dogs

Sponsored
OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've never heard of factory radios being stolen. Can't use them in anything else, so that would make for a small market.

That may be a stretch even for Jersey, but Atlanta isn't far behind with stupid crime.
It used to be quite the thing before devices got so fussy. In the dark ages, when things were mechanical, yeah, car radio theft was common enough.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The knuckleheads in Northern Jersey can be very organized ...

https://newjersey.news12.com/more-t...th-county-part-of-high-end-vehicle-theft-ring

Yep - 24 hour guard, with machine gun nests and very unfriendly patrol dogs
That's an article on the Pinies (sp? pronounced Pine-ees)(South Jersey)....that don't count, that's probably the Jewish Mob that runs Lakewood.

But yeah, North Jersey associates with NYC which is gang bangers and THE Mob... so definitely, opt for the patrol dogs as well, maybe even set a few claymores while you are at it 🤔

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't leave your keys in your Bronco.

Sponsored

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah Detroit is rough. This was a pre-production C8 Corvette that got the wheels stolen off it.

Actually one of the first things I would want is a shield for the catalytic converter.

Ford Bronco Theft and Luxe touch screen - sincere question 1616766301113

TennesseePA

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2008 ES350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Gladiator Launch Edition that spends most of the warm mints with the top off. I worked in Nashville TN last summer with no problems at all. With the doors on the security system is still active so if a person were to cut the top and unlock and open the door the horn would alert. The biggest threat would be while at home during the night. I cannot speak to that because I park indoors.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It used to be quite the thing before devices got so fussy. In the dark ages, when things were mechanical, yeah, car radio theft was common enough.
Ohh, indeed. I remember detachable faces on CD players also.

Factory units these days are large, integrate climate controls, etc, have GPS, and all sorts of other complex crap that make them less than sensible to steal.

What I do think you'll have to worry about unfortunately is vandalism from young punks; that's a real thing for any urban or suburban area where boys do shit just because they're bored.

I know you already know this about soft tops, etc.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What the thief would have to do before being able to steal the touch screen (that will have a proprietary connector and wont work with any other computer or device):

12 inch screen without dash.jpeg
Not sure about that on the Bronco. I can have my newer f150 screen out in less than 5 minutes (also because I've done it numerous times and know the socket size and location of clips).

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also, if I'm not mistaken, the screens are programmed with the VIN number.

My wife is getting the LUX and this hasn't ever crossed my mind of the screen theft. I have a wrangler as well and thieves typically look for the easiest & quickest items to steal and resell. Like the a**hats who stole my stock bumpers, stock steps, soft top windows &, seat covers back in 2013. At that time you couldn't buy replacement windows so I had to buy a whole new top.
Sponsored