Thieves and garage door openers

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My garage door opener can be locked to disable all remotes.
Sponsored

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

With an open vehicle parked outside at night, are there any good tactics to disable the use of the garage door opener? I have Lux in the visor, however, I don't think there's anything unique to my situation.
I've heard of putting the garage door motor on a smart plug and shutting off power to the plug on a schedule, however, are there any other methods you're using?
So any car parked outside of your garage with the garage door opener inside would leave your garage vulnerable, not just an open vehicle.

if you don’t hear your garage door opening do you really think you’d hear someone breaking the window to your vehicle to open said garage door at night?

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I installed a deadbolt on the house door leading to our garage as extra "peace of mind" a while back, just in case anyone ever did get in through the garage door. Not a whole lot in our actual garage of value.

OP
OP
UtahBrandon

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So any car parked outside of your garage with the garage door opener inside would leave your garage vulnerable, not just an open vehicle.

if you don’t hear your garage door opening do you really think you’d hear someone breaking the window to your vehicle to open said garage door at night?
if they break the windows, the alarm will go off, so yes, I would hear that. If the top is off, they can reach over the top and push the button which I might not hear.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just park it in the car hole. Problem solved.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That's why I live where I live. If they get past my two other neighbors driving down a 1/4 mile shared gravel (private property) drive, then pull into my driveway (headlights coming in my driveway shine directly into my bedroom window), then are okay with the two sensor floodlights and the cameras as they make their way to the detached two car or the shop - that's dedication.

Hell by the time they are halfway up the driveway both our dogs will be barking so loud (hoping whomever is pulling up will give them a treat) everyone will be awake - we'll have a party.

ERock62

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you know if the Chamberlin My Q app can be placed on the Android auto dashboard?
I have not had an Android for a few years. At the time no.

Also does not have an add-on for Carplay

ERock62

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
X2 for this. Works great. Plus, if I’m at the office and don’t remember if I closed the door, the app shows you status.
Alerts are great also. I can tell when my wife gets home.

Also I have left a package in my garage for my parents and open it from my phone when I am not home for them to pick up.

Reactions: fv9

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Does it actually work in the Bronco when it is not on/running? On our Jeep the built in opener only works with the ignition on. When I had an older Wrangler and an actual door opener I used some double sided tape and stuck it behind the A pillar trim plastic. You would only know to look there for a button if you installed it.
I'm pretty sure I have gone to the Bronco and opened the door, pushed the button and it's opened the garage door without the ignition being on.

Sponsored

MikeyFrog

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There was a thread last year about this when I got my Badlands lux package. It does time out. You might have to lock the doors. I had the top and doors off last week and needed to get in my garage and the visor wouldn't work.
Same

MikeyFrog

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm pretty sure I have gone to the Bronco and opened the door, pushed the button and it's opened the garage door without the ignition being on.
I reached over window and tried and it didn't work for me. Opened doors with key in hand and it enabled. So it definitely does disable.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a Chamberlin My Q add-on for my garage door opener. Hooks it up to my phone. We have no openers or anything pair to the visor opener.

Got it on Cyber Monday for ~$17
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GD3D9YJ?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_ypp_rep_k0_1_5&amp&crid=2JZ10POKYLZS3&amp&sprefix=myq+c
What I was really hoping for was that MyQ had an app that I could download on the Sync system. That way I wouldn't need a garage door opener and could just open/close it from the screen in the Bronco.

Was disappointed to find that it does not. :(

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Because I don't have Lux, I have my garage door opener hidden and hooked up to an aux switch. It won't work without ACC power.

Security through obscurity.

Do you have any details on how you did that ?

AMCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUR RON
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What I was really hoping for was that MyQ had an app that I could download on the Sync system. That way I wouldn't need a garage door opener and could just open/close it from the screen in the Bronco.

Was disappointed to find that it does not. :(
They may be working on it.
https://www.myq.com/auto
Sponsored