Things I feel are missing/or needed on a Ranger

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
This is only a suggestion
Spending over 40K on a Ranger, I would expect a few more options on the additions that are available.

1) Power Sliding rear glass
2) Bed Light Lights
3) Power Side Mirrors
4) Cordless phone charger
5) Lift assist on tailgate/Option to open from fob
6) 3-6 Switch Panel for accessories or make it easy for us to route our own.
7) 2.7L EcoBoost and only sell the F150 in the 3.5 and higher making all who want a 2.7 to purchase a Ranger
8) 5 year plan to change size of screen to the size of the Tesla or Ram
9) Slim down the size of the tail-lights, its height is outrageous, it might be the same size or taller than its cousin, awkward looking right now

Feel free to add some of your expectations! Again I already have ordered a Ranger and wouldn't have it any other way, maybe Ford is listening and will add these in the future to help future Ranger owners!
Sponsored

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Now with the Jeep Gladiator at 7650 towing and the Coloranyon 7700 towing I would have liked to see the Ranger hit 8000. Durango SRT hits 8500 with similar dimensions albeit a pretty special package.

I’d also like to see a true luxury trim option. The interior of the new Ram 1500 with the 12” screen for example. Panoramic roof and full sliding rear window would help compete against the Gladiator. Ranger Raptor obviously. 2.7L EcoBoost. Mild hybrid system perhaps.

Ranger is going to be an excellent all-around truck but it is definitely going to have true competition in the space. I think it could have differentiated itself as the most refined, most capable, on-road vehicle and it still might. With the TRD, Bison and Rubicon it’s going to have a hard time being a superlative in the off-road space without extensive mods or Raptor.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
Spending over 40K on a Ranger, I would expect a few more options on the additions that are available.

2) Bed Light Lights
3) Power Side Mirrors
7) 2.7L EcoBoost and only sell the F150 in the 3.5 and higher making all who want a 2.7 to purchase a Ranger
9) Slim down the size of the tail-lights, its height is outrageous, it might be the same size or taller than its cousin, awkward looking right now

Feel free to add some of your expectations! Again I already have ordered a Ranger and wouldn't have it any other way, maybe Ford is listening and will add these in the future to help future Ranger owners!
Based off your list, I would add that a 6' bed option would have been nice on the crew cab to compete with Tacoma, Canyon, and Colorado. Also, very disappointed in the rear seat configuration, it is not class leading in room, lacks 60/40 split, no flat-floor fold up rear seats, poor under-seat storage, and no flat load deck when top half of seats fold down.

Last edited:

ajvester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra

2) Bed Light Lights
3) Power Side Mirrors

For number 3, power folding mirrors are listed as standard on the Lariat.

• Side Mirrors - Power-Folding, Dual Power Glass with Heat, Integrated Turn Signal & Security Approach Lights
Personally I would like the option for stop and go adaptive cruise instead of the lower level offered.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
I would have liked if the 2.7l EcoBoost was available. The fuel mileage while towing we're reading about is atrocious. It's like towing was an afterthought.

For anyone who plans on using the truck as a tow vehicle most weekends (even a 3500 lb trailer) will have to seriously think about a different vehicle.

For a realistic scenario that emphasizes my point, I drive 20 miles to work round trip 5 days a week. If I get 24 mpg with a Ranger, I would use 4.2 gallons. If I get 13 mpg with my Crew Cab Super Duty, I use 7.7 gallons.

Then on the weekends I travel 200 miles up north one way hauling a 6000 lb trailer. With the Ranger it would optimistically get 10 mpg and use 40 gallons. With the Super Duty hauling the trailer I can get 17-22 mpg depending on traffic and/or weather conditions. At 17 mpg the SD uses 23.5 gallons.

Total fuel used:
Ranger 44.2 gal @ $2.42/gal=$107 a week.
Super Duty 31.2 gal @ $3.13=$97.65 a week.

I don't have any personal experience with a F150, but with it's higher city mpg and reasonable expectations of better towing mpg, I suspect the difference is even greater.

A Ranger with the 2.7 liter EcoBoost would be the right set up with a smaller footprint imho.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
A 6' bed, 2.7 ecoboost and Raptor trim are what I feel are missing. If a lightning blue Ranger Raptor with a 2.7L EcoBoost were available I wouldn't be able to get to the dealership fast enough to get that truck.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I was a little dissapointed with the color selection... I would have loved to see Lead Foot offered along with Race Red. Many cities/county's use bright red trucks as fleet vehicles and not offering a standard red (or any red) in XL trim may lead those customers elsewhere.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I was a little dissapointed with the color selection... I would have loved to see Lead Foot offered along with Race Red. Many cities/county's use bright red trucks as fleet vehicles and not offering a standard red (or any red) in XL trim may lead those customers elsewhere.

I agree I'd like a nice green color like I had on my 2002 Focus ZX3
2002FOCUS2.jpg

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
6 ft bed. If I don't end up buying the Ranger, it'll be because of the short bed.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
6 ft bed. If I don't end up buying the Ranger, it'll be because of the short bed.
I really wish they had a 6' option with the crew cab. I'm going to make do with a bed extender, although I don't really like that compromise.

RiverRojo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mercury Milan 1992 Dodge Dakota 4x4
Cooled seats, 6 foot bed w/ crew cab, moonroof, and power sliding rear window would be on my want list.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Heated steering wheel...I really love my fusions heated steering wheel.
I have the heated steering wheel on my Focus RS it's awesome. The person that came up with that should get an award. I would like to see it on the Ranger too, but its not a deal breaker.
Sponsored