First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford f 150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We had a few spots where our guide let us go on our own as he was spotting others, but he did mention that if we get to a spot we don’t feel safe, or comfortable to honk or chime in on the radio for him. There’s a couple spots where rocks shifted that he said weren’t there yesterday.
Sponsored

Oneily

Raptor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So not the best quality video, but you get the point. My friend had an android so he recorded it off an iPhone to avoid losing quality. Two passengers in the bronco behind had video of the incident. Both pretty good quality and I know it was sent to other people at dinner time. Unfortunately this is all I have.

The guides were up the hill helping others through a tough spot. They had just radioed to bronco 1 to stop and wait for the rest of the group to catch up. A minute or two later we heard what sounded like a gunshot (curtain side airbags went off). Then heard over the radio, "Umm we have a problem up here, bronco two just rolled over." We were in bronco 6, so we didn't see it happen. No one was hurt, the wife (passenger) seemed pretty shook up. They had the option to continue in another vehicle, but they chose to go home. We had to turn around on the trail and we left the bronco. They went back while we were eating dinner to start the recovery process.

According to the guide (Diego), that rock/boulder had not previously been there. Maybe the rain earlier that week, moved it? He was quite surprised to hear about the rollover, because they had just passed the tight spot.

I still wouldn't have paid the $75 for the insurance. It was the first and only rollover at the Nevada location, I'm not sure about the others.

There were two guides with us. Both were spotting in different areas through some tough spots. He radioed ahead for bronco #1 to stop so the guides and the rest of the group could catch up with him. However #1 had already made it past that spot solo. So the rest of us were catching up to him.

The changing environments (at least according to the guide) obviously played a part. However if you watch the video #2 was turning the bronco to the right when he rolled. Clearly that was what caused his rollover. This was something that was covered during the tutorial session. They also advised us that if at anytime you don't feel comfortable proceeding without a spotter, radio the guides and they will come assist. The rollover happened about 30 minutes after lunch, so we had at least 2 hours of seat time by that time. I definitely do not put all the blame on the guides.

Also we did not get to witness the recovery. They had the passengers of bronco #2 jump into another bronco and we turned around and went back up the trail and headed back to camp. From there we regrouped and continued our day. They left the bronco and did not attempt to recover it until later when we went back to eat dinner.
That's a pretty huge boulder to be honest, no wonder your guide got surprised that it suddenly appeared out of nowhere basically o_O