Sponsored

Think twice before ordering from Panda Motorworks (cancellation fees on backorders)

It is OK for vendors to charge cancellation fees on backordered items

• yes

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • no

Votes: 98 92.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Panda Motorworks has a policy of charging a 7% cancellation fee on backordered items.

While a reasonable person might assume that this policy applies only to returns, they are applying it to backordered items that are not yet in production and have no delivery date.

Fine print in final checkout (one section of long document talking about returns):
Ford Bronco Think twice before ordering from Panda Motorworks (cancellation fees on backorders) 1648049690875

I filed a dispute with my credit card company and will let them decide whether they will let Panda charge me $284 for something they never shipped and isn't in production yet.

What do you think? Should I be outraged at this cancellation fee or do you agree with Panda?
Sponsored

Last edited:

TXBoy79

Wildtrak
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

How did you come across the fee info? If you already had the information then sounds like you lose. If it's indeed "secret" as you stated then they need to revamp the way they conduct business and refund your $$.

Just my opinion.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The way I read the disclaimer it applies to "returned" items...how can they charge a fee for something that isn't returnable because it was never received...or built for that matter?

Sponsored

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yea, this is not a return of a product as in your pictures. You should be able to push back on them that their written policy is for returned items, which you have not returned anything as you never received it. It would cost you more than your 7% to take them to small claims court, but unless there's more that's not being posted, it's pretty clear that the 7% applies to returns even though it's under a Refund heading.

There's also negative reviews to consider against the company. I know of a forum that's pretty good at doing those.

In my opinion they never should have billed you for something that has not shipped.

Last edited:

goalie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

that sounds like a refund on delivered goods, they shouldnt have even charged you yet for a pre-ordered item.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't been in direct management of Ecommerce in a number of years, however, in the past, the vendor wasn't supposed to charge your card until the item is actually shipped. Pre-authorization is fine, but not charged.
If it's not charged, then there's no service fee. Hopefully it's just a misunderstanding. And, by the way, the fact that you have a screenshot indicates that it's not really a "secret policy".

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Panda Motorworks has a secret policy of charging a 7% cancellation fee on backordered items.

While a reasonable person might assume that this policy applies to returns, they are applying it to backordered items that are not yet in production and have no delivery date.

Ford Bronco Think twice before ordering from Panda Motorworks (cancellation fees on backorders) 1648049690875

I filed a dispute with my credit card company and will let them decide whether they will let Panda charge me $284 for something they never shipped and isn't in production yet.

What do you think? Should I be outraged at this cancellation fee or do you agree with Panda?

Outrage is warranted.

With the way things are going today I think I'll start an on-line company that has cool stuff, take orders, never deliver anything, and take 7% cut of all the orders when canceled. That should be a pretty nice return for little effort running an automated system with no inventory.

Think about it. If they can't fulfil an order for any reason, even if it's out of their control, that is all they are doing.

OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And, by the way, the fact that you have a screenshot indicates that it's not really a "secret policy".
The "secret" (maybe poor choice of words) is that they are applying it to cancellations and not only returns.

Also, it is buried in the fine print (multiple documents with multiple pages) in final checkout.

Sponsored

Rip

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
@rtaylor the 7% charge is not for returning the goods, it is the fee that the payment provider charges them to process both your primary payment and the refund. Some processors only charge once for this and some hit you both times to process it. They will have to pay this fee so it appears they pass it on to a customer that cancels.

@UtahBrandon is correct that the right way to do this is NOT to charge a customer in advance for items that aren’t available. This resolves the problem.

I hope the insight helps but I hate you are in the middle of that. That is awful.

Trueblue2296

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2022 F250 Tremor 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder what @Mitch Panda Motorworks can do to help if anything. Seems wrong to charge for things you can't provide and then keep some of the money when you can't provide it.

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If I recall what this order is about it would be a Pre-Order Icon Suspension System.

The order came through the day Icon released the products. We immediately reached out to the customer letting them know this is a Pre-Order and the wait would be aprox 3months.

We would only process the order if he was okay with the wait. The customer agreed to the wait and understood this was a new product and would take some time.

We are not hiding this FEE at all. In fact we give you multiple chances to read about it. The home page, before placing an order while in your car and during checkout. The fact is we have placed this order with his name on it and taken the hit on the fees after informing the customer of the wait and him agreeing.

If he would have not been okay with that wait we would have canceled same day and had not charged the fee!

We are a small shop doing everything we can to help our customers but we should not be penalized from the banks because a customer changed their mind on a product they agreed to wait on.

Last edited:

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doh! Seems you left out some important details!

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"once your return is received". You have nothing to return, so this passage should not apply.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.