Sponsored

Think twice before ordering from Panda Motorworks (cancellation fees on backorders)

It is OK for vendors to charge cancellation fees on backordered items

• yes

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • no

Votes: 98 92.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F250, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My intention was to warn others about Panda policies that may hurt other forum members.

I didn't intend to air any specifics, since my particular dispute is already in the hands of my credit card company. Panda brought in specifics to discredit me or excuse their fees. Maybe forum members will learn something from that as well.

That you were trying to hide the entire story. The specifics should be known. A business has its right to stand up for itself and we intend to do that any time it is required. I would never looked or commented on this if you just were 100% upfront with the entire transaction. Instead you shared what you thought would hurt us.
Sponsored

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV. 22 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is an ironic statement since a 'forum' by definition is designed to do exactly what we're doing in this thread. This is the room.

Not when both sides are saying he said she said and talking about taking legal action.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not when both sides are saying he said she said and talking about taking legal action.
Legal action and legal interpretation are two very different things. The latter is all we're discussing along with application and implications of disclosure by vendors to customers. Panda Motorworks is in a more educated position than the customer, but certainly has the right (and is encouraged) to enter the conversation when the customer seeks more information about the legal and ethical interpretation of its business practices by using a forum as a means to gather and discuss information. You are coming into 'the room' to tell people to 'get a room'.

DapperDeeds

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Company
Your Bronco Model
Base
You agreed to wait and were fully understanding of the new product so hence no mention of fee
This is kinda shady though... You made the assumption that he knew it applied to all orders and he, and others, are saying it should apply to refunds of actually received products. If you told him the fee would be added whether or not the product was ever shipped or even produced do you believe he would have carried on with the transaction? That's a rhetorical question.

PeneBear

Outer Banks
First Name
Edith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Panda Motorworks has a policy of charging a 7% cancellation fee on backordered items.

While a reasonable person might assume that this policy applies only to returns, they are applying it to backordered items that are not yet in production and have no delivery date.

Fine print in final checkout (one section of long document talking about returns):
1648049690875.png

I filed a dispute with my credit card company and will let them decide whether they will let Panda charge me $284 for something they never shipped and isn't in production yet.

What do you think? Should I be outraged at this cancellation fee or do you agree with Panda?
Appreciate the heads up. Was thinking about ordering from them.. not now. Will look else where.

Sponsored

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@rtaylor the 7% charge is not for returning the goods, it is the fee that the payment provider charges them to process both your primary payment and the refund. Some processors only charge once for this and some hit you both times to process it. They will have to pay this fee so it appears they pass it on to a customer that cancels.

@UtahBrandon is correct that the right way to do this is NOT to charge a customer in advance for items that aren’t available. This resolves the problem.

I hope the insight helps but I hate you are in the middle of that. That is awful.
I was charged for my awe exhaust from lethal in full then in small print it said "ships from manufacturer." Two and a quarter months later. I get a huge package delivered.... It's the exhaust... No tracking, no nothing. If I hadn't called awe directly I would have never known to expect a package mid March.

OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That you were trying to hide the entire story. The specifics should be known. A business has its right to stand up for itself and we intend to do that any time it is required. I would never looked or commented on this if you just were 100% upfront with the entire transaction. Instead you shared what you thought would hurt us.
If at any point I knew there were cancellation fees involved, I would never have pre-ordered an item from Panda. That would be crazy in this world of backorders. You can try to blame it on me, but your policy speaks for itself.

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is kinda shady though... You made the assumption that he knew it applied to all orders and he, and others, are saying it should apply to refunds of actually received products. If you told him the fee would be added whether or not the product was ever shipped or even produced do you believe he would have carried on with the transaction? That's a rhetorical question.
I did not make any assumption. Matter of fact he never even replied to our email once we stated there would be a 7% fee he just posted here.

The biggest issue here is he didnt even want to work with us or explain his side and let us explain ours. He ran straight to the forum to try and hurt us over it. I have no idea why but I am more than happy to talk to any customer and work out an agreement but this is not what he wanted at all.

Appreciate the heads up. Was thinking about ordering from them.. not now. Will look else where.

That is truly unfortunate. We have helped a thousand plus bronco customers already with great feedback and support. We would love to offer you a discount or open ended agreement to try our services and products before letting this one experience turn you off from our site.

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If at any point I knew there were cancellation fees involved, I would never have pre-ordered an item from Panda. That would be crazy in this world of backorders. You can try to blame it on me, but your policy speaks for itself.
I have never once tried to point blame at you. I am not sure why you keep trying to put words in my mouth. All I have ever done is explain our side. I am still awaiting reply from the email that was sent this morning explaining the fee on our end. You could have easily said I feel this not fair because I did not understand or explain why you wanted to cancel so we could work with you.

Like stated above we were working on getting your rebate for the sale price they came out with 3 weeks later to see what was possible and explain the options going forward.

DapperDeeds

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Company
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did not make any assumption. Matter of fact he never even replied to our email once we stated there would be a 7% fee he just posted here.

The biggest issue here is he didnt even want to work with us or explain his side and let us explain ours. He ran straight to the forum to try and hurt us over it. I have no idea why but I am more than happy to talk to any customer and work out an agreement but this is not what he wanted at all.
You said he agreed to wait and was fully understanding of the new product hence no mention of a fee.

That's called an assumption. You just made the assumption that he "fully understood" everything concerning the new product, including the fee that your company would charge for this same product that wasn't even shipped or produced. Most people would be upset by this, yourself included i'm sure if you were brazen enough to admit it. Never the less it leads me back to my previous post. As a company, if you know someone is hesitant to place the order because of a 7% fee and dont tell them that applies to unshipped products and cancellations than that is shady practices.

That is good PandaWorks is willing to work with customers and work out an agreement but doesn't help that it was not known, discussed, or listed on the website about preorders or unshipped parts. Also, I checked out BBB just to see if you guys were on there and there are a lot of the same type of reviews where people worked out an agreement but then never get the refund, lost, etc.

People nowadays seem to confuse the word "pandemic" with "money hungry"

Sponsored

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You said he agreed to wait and was fully understanding of the new product hence no mention of a fee.

That's called an assumption. You just made the assumption that he "fully understood" everything concerning the new product, including the fee that your company would charge for this same product that wasn't even shipped or produced. Most people would be upset by this, yourself included i'm sure if you were brazen enough to admit it. Never the less it leads me back to my previous post. As a company, if you know someone is hesitant to place the order because of a 7% fee and dont tell them that applies to unshipped products and cancellations than that is shady practices.

That is good PandaWorks is willing to work with customers and work out an agreement but doesn't help that it was not known, discussed, or listed on the website about preorders or unshipped parts. Also, I checked out BBB just to see if you guys were on there and there are a lot of the same type of reviews where people worked out an agreement but then never get the refund, lost, etc.

People nowadays seem to confuse the word "pandemic" with "money hungry"

We have no issue working with customers. The BBB is mostly on claims were warranty was denied from us or manufactures after we worked on a performance car and people did not take care of said car. If we were so bad at what we do we would not have a highly rated badge on google or a good reputation on other forums. Sure there will always be someone upset and that is there right just like here but this entire situation could have been avoided if he just replied to the email and let us work it out. Instead he ignored replying and ran to the forum

We are an open book. I never made an assumption and again 95% of the time the fee is not even enforced. We are here to work with customers but they must be willing to work with us as well. This is not a one way street just because we are a business. I would not be mad at the fee because I agreed to it no I maybe disappointed but I do not like you assuming you know me or how I would respond to something.

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm still trying to get around why would a company charge for something they don't have, inventory control and money for POs is not the customer's responsibility, the company needs to have that money already available to purchase their product. Then why the customer would fully pay for something that the seller doesn't currently have. I understand a deposit, but to fully pay for a at the time not present product? But then again I'm not in either shoe right now.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Adam at 4x4truckleds...

For the record, I've purchased at both Panda and 4x4truckleds and have had no issues.

OP
OP
rtaylor

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Matter of fact he never even replied to our email once we stated there would be a 7% fee he just posted here.
Here was my response when notified of a cancellation fee.
Ford Bronco Think twice before ordering from Panda Motorworks (cancellation fees on backorders) 1648066138574

This is the final response from Panda. There was nothing left to say. My interpretation of the terms is not the same as Panda's, so the CC company will have to work that out with Panda.
Ford Bronco Think twice before ordering from Panda Motorworks (cancellation fees on backorders) 1648066643336

chris@pandamotorworks

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm still trying to get around why would a company charge for something they don't have, inventory control and money for POs is not the customer's responsibility, the company needs to have that money already available to purchase their product. Then why the customer would fully pay for something that the seller doesn't currently have. I understand a deposit, but to fully pay for a at the time not present product? But then again I'm not in either shoe right now.
We use to do deposits on big orders like this but had to many bad apples ruin the process for others and we had to adopt.

To note the first sentence we are working on adopting live inventory and drop ship notices on the sites. Current issue is time and cost as we have to pull from our warehouse and 3 others to have accurate info displayed for the customer. The company goal is to have this up and running by the start of Q4. Currently we have a email that goes out about a backorder and on large items a phone call to make sure we are transparent with the customer. Of course we fall short sometimes as manufactures can be harder than ever to get ahold of for an updated ETA or they miss ETA's which makes it even harder for us.

We have missed 4 ETA's on our top selling bronco product we do not produce and are giving credit back to show how much we can and working with the customer to understand we are doing everything we can. Again we are here to work with customers and provide value. Without the value we would be no one. Everything would be sold on Amazon.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.