Sponsored

Thinking about ordering a 392...talk me out of it!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2021 JLU Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don't pay over MSRP?
You actually go to dealers that have them on lots and pick them up for MSRP. There is one here that is fully loaded with what little options you can add for 75k and they don't have markup. I wonder how long it'll sit there before someone scoops it up.
Sponsored

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base
If money is not an issue.....go for if you get tired of it later youā€™ll have options for some other toy. Life is good Enjoy.

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was pretty impressed with the reviews I've seen of it. I mean, yeah, it's still a Jeep - for good and bad. And the gas mileage is beyond atrocious. But it has a ton of power and sounds really sweet.

If you're thinking Raptor, then I'd get this now and decide later if you still want the Raptor.

chrtra1

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Current vehicle is a 20 Raptor and I pushed my reservation to MY22 for the Bronco. Then I decided I might as well wait for the Warthog version, but Iā€™m thinking that wonā€™t be until MY23. I have an issue with patience so now Iā€™m considering the Rubicon 392. Iā€™ve owned many Jeeps (5 altogether (3 Wranglers)) so Iā€™m familiar with their product. Anyone have any advice?
giphy.gif

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ENGINEERING! Ford has done the work and put an Optimized vehicle on the market. How much engineering went into putting the 392 into the Rubicon? I think not a lot. It was a Knee Jerk reaction to get some publicity.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just noticed the title of the thread is talk me out of it. I don't think anyone really wants to do that.

Rambler

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜04 Silverado, ā€˜97 Wrangler, ā€˜65 Norton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Get the TRX, itā€™s supercharged with over 700 horsepower and it has a bed for all your stuff.

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ENGINEERING! Ford has done the work and put an Optimized vehicle on the market. How much engineering went into putting the 392 into the Rubicon? I think not a lot. It was a Knee Jerk reaction to get some publicity.
In the 1960s every American auto manufacturer started putting big engines with too much power in their sedans. For the most part they reengineered very little. How did that work out?

Today those muscle cars are collectors items. Sometimes a little seat of the pants engineering is awesome.

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is a perfect poll subject. Buy the 392 or dont.

i vote dont.

know why? It still looks basically the same as a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited.

ā€œbut itā€™s a new generation!ā€

i know that, but how many people really do?

ā€œbut but but 392!ā€

and? You gonna smoke some Wrxā€™s from a stop light?

change teams bro. Hold out for the new bronco, the all new bronco.

That was Dr Jekyll.

Mr Hyde says....

when I see that 392...

and think of the power...

and how unreal it must be to rip in it with no top or doors????

ultimate toy!

But who am I? Some chode on the internet!

Sponsored

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the 1960s every American auto manufacturer started putting big engines with too much power in their sedans. For the most part they reengineered very little. How did that work out?

Today those muscle cars are collectors items. Sometimes a little seat of the pants engineering is awesome.
Worked out well for the collectors. I look back at those cars and realize how awesome they were at the time. Straight line speed. (If you could keep it pointed in the right direction) Cars today are much more refined and balanced. I had a 2007 GT500 and it was nothing like the 66 Fastback Shelby copy my friend had. Maybe I'm just a little more appreciative of engineering now.

Loesch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Current vehicle is a 20 Raptor and I pushed my reservation to MY22 for the Bronco. Then I decided I might as well wait for the Warthog version, but Iā€™m thinking that wonā€™t be until MY23. I have an issue with patience so now Iā€™m considering the Rubicon 392. Iā€™ve owned many Jeeps (5 altogether (3 Wranglers)) so Iā€™m familiar with their product. Anyone have any advice?
Without reading the responses so far, just replying to your OP, I honestly think that Warthog will be even more of a knock it out of the park vehicle than the Raptor was. It's going to be stupidly expensive but that's just how it is if you want everything and awesomeness. The Jeep is stupidly expensive too but I just wish they would have included some interior upgrades or something with it. Just like the Badlands Bronco they don't have power seats, basically just a Rubicon with 470hp but inside you don't feel special. Sounds weird but I think I'll have more smiles on my daily commute in the Bronco than I would in a 392 just because Ford has all the little annoyances worked out, hopefully, like they do in my F150 that I love so much.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You have already talked yourself out of a Bronco. Surely you can talk yourself into a questionable Jeep decision.

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was highly considering a 392...however, current Stellantis quality control leaves much to be desired. They beefed up the axles, frame, etc to be able to handle the 392. Engineering is sound. However, spent some time on the JL forums before you make your decision. I read them as much as I read this forum.

Thereā€™s a massive thread about ongoing paint problems with the JLs. Corrosion on some leading edges and especially under the paint on the door/hood hinges. Jeep sprayed directly over the aluminum hinges/doors but left them bare underneath. They paired the hinges with a steel bolt so you eventually get galvanic corrosion...not every JL gets it but Iā€™m not willing to gamble $75K on them getting it right on my vehicle.

Also most of them from ā€˜18-21 had a ton of steering issues due to the aluminum steering box but they released a new steering box this year that helped. Iā€™ll assuming the 392 comes with the new cast iron steering box.

Finally, some Hemiā€™s have had issues eating lifters on the MDS (cylinder deactivation) engines. The running theory is that at idle there isnā€™t quite enough oil pressure to ensure the lifters are adequately lubricated where they meet the camshaft and that Stellantis used poor quality lifters. Pair the two and you can get lifter problems. Google 6.4 Hemi lifter failure and youā€™ll read on the Challenger/Charger forums of ongoing issues up to last year. Again, if you get a 392 you might get a good one and have no issues. But the clear history of lifter problems also steered me away. If the lifter fails it can take out the camshaft and require a complete valvetrain rebuild. In warranty, not as much of a big deal. Out of warranty...could get expensive quick.

Bad ass vehicle no doubt. If it had better QC Iā€™d probably have one in my driveway already.
Sponsored