Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put a deposit on the R1T not long after orders opened. I also have a four door badlands Sasquatch on order, ordered fairly early as well. I’m going to keep whichever order arrives first and cancel the other. If the Bronco gets here first it’s going to be the last ICE 4X4 I own.
Sponsored

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also have reservations for both a R1T and Bronco. Basically was going to see who botched their launch less, which may actually be Rivian :D I figure I'll at least get a Rivian test drive (they are doing an off-road tour for reservation holders like the Off Roadeo) before cancelling my reservation, if I do decide on the Bronco.

My biggest concern isn't range anxiety or whatever, it's depreciation: it's damn near certain that the Bronco will be one of the slowest-depreciating vehicles over the next 5-10 years, especially in manual transmission guise. The 'long range' pack R1T with A/T tires has a range of like 275 miles when new, but in 8 years on a cold day that might be 175 miles if you are lucky. Who is going to want that used in 8 years when by then there will be electric trucks being sold new for <$50k with over 500 miles of range (that can be fully-charged in like 10 minutes)?

Internal combustion+manual transmission is at the pinnacle of its technology; it'll never get any better than right now. EV batteries will be WAY better not too long from now, so the EVs bought today are going to be nearly worthless in a decade.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I also have reservations for both a R1T and Bronco. Basically was going to see who botched their launch less, which may actually be Rivian :D I figure I'll at least get a Rivian test drive (they are doing an off-road tour for reservation holders like the Off Roadeo) before cancelling my reservation, if I do decide on the Bronco.

My biggest concern isn't range anxiety or whatever, it's depreciation: it's damn near certain that the Bronco will be one of the slowest-depreciating vehicles over the next 5-10 years, especially in manual transmission guise. The 'long range' pack R1T with A/T tires has a range of like 275 miles when new, but in 8 years on a cold day that might be 175 miles if you are lucky. Who is going to want that used in 8 years when by then there will be electric trucks being sold new for <$50k with over 500 miles of range (that can be fully-charged in like 10 minutes)?

Internal combustion+manual transmission is at the pinnacle of its technology; it'll never get any better than right now. EV batteries will be WAY better not too long from now, so the EVs bought today are going to be nearly worthless in a decade.
I’m sure EV batteries will improve dramatically in the next 5 years. Depreciation is a real concern as well especially when compared to a Bronco. I have a 2015 Tesla Model S with 130k miles on it and it’s value has depreciated 75%. It still drives like new so I’m just going to keep it until it starts giving me problems. Tesla replaced the HV battery under warranty($15k if out of warranty) this April so I should be good to go for another 5+ years.

Range would be a real worry with a truck for towing. I tow a 7,500 boat/trailer with my diesel Range Rover and get 50% of normal mpg. The Rivian is rated at 314 miles but real world your likely to get about 270-280 miles in warmer weather under mixed city/hwy driving. In 5 years the “normal” battery degradation will bring that down to about 240 miles of real world range and I’d estimate while towing that would drop to 120 miles.

Cold weather obviously reduces range as well. I lose 10-15% at freezing temps and another 15% at zero degrees which in MN we see all too often during the winter.

I’m still a fan of my Tesla as the instant torque and acceleration is addicting but for a truck I’ll stick with ICE for the foreseeable future.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's about $80k loaded up.... So it's not cheap, but less than a lot of other things out there. But i'm hung up on the charging. Not sure I can get over it. Appreciate the input.
Still enough cheaper than the $120,000 Bollinger you could get both a Rivian and a Bronco for that same 120k

OP
OP
Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Still enough cheaper than the $120,000 Bollinger you could get both a Rivian and a Bronco for that same 120k
I tried to get in on the Hummer EV Edition 1... The 10,000 ft/lbs of torque was too much to pass up, but I didn't get the reservation in on time. Wife said Edition 1 or nothing on that one.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I tried to get in on the Hummer EV Edition 1... The 10,000 ft/lbs of torque was too much to pass up, but I didn't get the reservation in on time. Wife said Edition 1 or nothing on that one.
build your own...there are a half dozen real Humvee's for sale in my small town at $20k=$30k and with a transplant of the $32k crate electric drivetrain from GM you are in like Flint (the movie character not the town)

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As someone who has actually owned a Tesla Model S I would say that Tesla is the ONLY electric vehicle brand I would buy. Tesla built up the charging infrastructure required for their EV fleet, while nobody else has. You can charge a Tesla anywhere, but you can't charge a Nissan Leaf at a Tesla Supercharger. Something I didn't consider before the Tesla was the utter lack of standard maintenance required. No more oil changes or radiator flushes. The only fluid is the window washer fluid. The brake pads last forever because the regenerative braking takes care of most of it. The 240V charger installed in the garage will fully charge an empty battery in 10 hours.

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Never really was in to the electric vehicle hype, but they have done pretty well and in the next couple of years, they are going to explode on the market. This one is a quad motor design with up to 7700lb towing capacity.

For me the downside on all electrics is the downtime for charging and the need to be at a charging station... Are they really only good for commuting? Anyone with a TESLA X to give their opinion and experience?

The Launch Edition is sold out, but the Adventure Package orders would expect to begin delivery in January. The only difference is a special color and a special wheel and tire package on the Launch Edition.

https://rivian.com/r1s

Rivian R1S.jpg
Battery must make a huge jump in TECH. Until then they are very similar to a Golf cart. IMO ;)

OP
OP
Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
build your own...there are a half dozen real Humvee's for sale in my small town at $20k=$30k and with a transplant of the $32k crate electric drivetrain from GM you are in like Flint (the movie character not the town)
While I appreciate your thought process... I'm closing in on retirement and want to play instead of work. ;) Although that would likely be a fun build.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

+1 to all of this. This is exactly why I'm buying a Bronco and a Blackwing--both with manuals--and not an EV at this time. No need to get in on EVs early, there will be plenty of opportunity later. But there won't always be a chance to get cool cars with manual transmissions, cars that I suspect will hold their value reasonably well.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wife and I were sitting on the couch last night and had a pretty detailed discussion about the variety of vehicles on the menu and she tossed the Rivian for a variety of reasons, mainly battery replacement in a few years... Came back to Bronco or 392. She was leaning 392 for its mild exclusivity.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you watched Long Way Up? It was interesting to see the Rivians in action but the biggest take way I got from that is that EV batteries still aren't there yet. Cold MASSIVELY affected both the Rivians and the bikes, and charging off grid (and even on grid when it was weak grids) was a mess for them. Rivian put their charging solution all along the route from the tip of South America to LA, so their charging system isnt exactly an empty promise.

All in all, i think i will stick with a jerry can for anything remotely close to off road until EV batteries and charging hits the next big advance.
The Long Way Up is definitely recommended watching for anyone interested in an EV pickup. It clearly shows many strengths and just as many weaknesses. It also shows that Rivian and Harley-Davidson are not afraid to take risks when so many others are not.

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

smitjere

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
2 FEs (2 and 4 door), R1T, EV1, Cybertruck, and Lightning...all reserved. Won't keep them all, but I figured why not make the refundable deposit and see what develops. Leaning toward my FE 4 door.

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

2 FEs (2 and 4 door), R1T, EV1, Cybertruck, and Lightning...all reserved. Won't keep them all, but I figured why not make the refundable deposit and see what develops. Leaning toward my FE 4 door.
I had early interests in Bollinger BOLLINGER B1 - BOLLINGER MOTORS until their price reveal was $120,000 - for a vehicle with an interior straight out of Daktari although the $1,000 deposit is nominal compared to the price.

If I recall I put in a free reservation for an Atlis XT XT Pickup Truck | Atlis Motor Vehicles at $69,000 for 500 mile range and 15 minute full charge should be something to consider (when they build)

I placed a free reserve for an Ineos Grenadier and they might make it here by the time my Bronco lease is up The INEOS Grenadier 4X4 | INEOS Grenadier
Sponsored