Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Our 4door 2.7L badlands dropped a valve and blew the engine, leaving us stranded when on a road trip. Ford is replacing the engine. However, the experience was so bad and now we have doubts about taking it on future road trips or taking it anywhere out of cell service. Ford denied our request that they buy it back, so we are thinking of selling it. At this point, we are not even sure about how to price it. Any suggestions for determining a good price point? MSRP was $51,875. Don't want to take a loss and know they are going over MSRP right now.
Currently has about 2900 miles.
Missouri's lemon law is pretty good (4 repair attempts or 30 days out of service in first year). I'd have to imagine that it's going to be taking close to the 30 days to replace the engine already, so at most a few more repair days in the next year means they have to buy it back. The good thing about lemon laws is that they generally cover your attorney's fees as well so you're not out of pocket any money if they hit that 30 day requirement.
Sponsored

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Pretty disappointing that Ford won't buy back a vehicle that is almost assuredly to be a small loss, if not a slight profit after engine replacement. The dealer should take care of you with Ford backing the dealer for any loss they experience.

Ford's response moreso than the engine issue itself would make me want to bail. Sorry you are going through this.

joeramirez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t see why you can’t get MSRP plus the t,t,&l you paid and maybe another 1-2k on top of that.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have faith, you can use the 3 problem deal for the lemon law if more issues happen .
If.

Mostly it is 3 times for exact same failure before considered a lemon. Drop a valve and spin a bearing might be considered different and not same. 3 times fixing one single part, usually. But it varies by state.

And if OP does not disclose what certainly will show in carfax makes them vulnerable to lawsuit.

That being said, private sale of a vehicle with a replaced engine will never return what you paid and not even I would think the depreciated value. As soon as you drive a $50k vehicle off the lot it is worth of $40k at best.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Pretty disappointing that Ford won't buy back a vehicle that is almost assuredly to be a small loss, if not a slight profit after engine replacement. The dealer should take care of you with Ford backing the dealer for any loss they experience.

Ford's response moreso than the engine issue itself would make me want to bail. Sorry you are going through this.
Why are you surprised? Ford intends to honor the warranty. If the replacement engine fails and its replacement fails? Then you have a legal lemon. But not until.

Maybe Ford should buy back the vehicle whose tie rods broke when it was obviously between a rock and a hard place.

Now if mine fails I will sing a different tune.

Sponsored

Analog Kid

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
"My VW Touareg TDI had a major failure (under warranty) that stranded the wife and I while towing a trailer full of guns and ammo across rural AZ."

If you're going to break down anywhere, that's the way to do it.

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Our 4door 2.7L badlands dropped a valve and blew the engine, leaving us stranded when on a road trip. Ford is replacing the engine. However, the experience was so bad and now we have doubts about taking it on future road trips or taking it anywhere out of cell service. Ford denied our request that they buy it back, so we are thinking of selling it. At this point, we are not even sure about how to price it. Any suggestions for determining a good price point? MSRP was $51,875. Don't want to take a loss and know they are going over MSRP right now.
Currently has about 2900 miles.
what’s your build date?

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Didn't one guy put 1000 miles on his here and get offered $69k from CarMax which he thought was too low? lol.

The more problems I see with Bronco the more I want to find a dealer willing to straight trade me a 2022 Raptor if mine gets here soon enough haha.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is that something that needs to be disclosed to the buyer? I hope so.
Huh? I mean obviously it will be on the car's service report but where's the concern here? It dropped a valve SO the engine is getting replaced, at 2900 miles. The engine being replaced eliminates any chance that the dropped valve could have an effect on anything else....

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Carfax takes some time before they get updated with wrecks and service reports. As long as you trade it in relatively soon, to a non-Ford dealer (who would have that info immediately), new engine would not show up. Having said that, had a '76 Chevy wagon, cracked 400 block from factory, leaked oil all over the place the day after it got home. New 6.6 from Chevy and it ran forever. Your Bronco is still under warranty and I wouldn't sweat a replacement long block at all. Might be a little nervous if just a short block, but not overly much.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Emotion usually wins out. Reality is, if a motor failure is going to happen, it is fortunate it happens now, while under full warranty. If it happens to me, I would be super upset initially, simply because of the entire reservation and order fiasco. Once I cooled off, I would realize the benefit of having the failure under warranty and having a crate motor swap.

OP
OP

Nikole

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you willing to share the VIN number or the original motor serial number. I am trying to determine what engines are at risk - I currently have a small range, but need more data. (It will also help you assure yourself that the replacement engine is not in the serial number range of those blowing up). I can get the motor serial number from the VIN.
1FMEE5DP0MLA74160

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

However, the experience was so bad and now we have doubts about taking it on future road trips or taking it anywhere out of cell service.
I'll be honest here, this isn't a rational response, it's an emotional response. Look, defects happen, does it suck it happened to you, ABSOLUTELY! I completely understand your frustration, but this is exactly why car manufacturers have a powertrain warranty.

There was a defect in your engine, they are replacing your engine. You will have a brand new engine, your chance of having another issue is now the same as any other Bronco. There are literally thousands on the road with 2.7s, there have only been few that have needed complete engine replacement. My bet is that the percentage is right on track with any other vehicle on the road, you just don't hear about those other cases because there isn't a forum like this for every vehicle out there...

omega145

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I understand the initial shock, mechanical things tend to break. The nature of the beast but I understand the feeling of not wanting it any longer. I'm usually that way as well as I no longer feel the vehicle is going to be reliable any more even if that's not necessarily true. I would remove your initial emotions and really think if you love the Bronco that much to keep it or genuinely want to move on. Either choice is fine. I wouldn't worry about resale value either. Maybe you won't get 70K but you damn sure will get above MSRP even with a replacement motor. If looking to sell, get a quote from every possible place you can including Vroom, Carvana and your local dealer. Just did a quick quote (took less than 5 minutes for each) from Vroom and Carvana for my Wrangler and found that Vroom was 11K more than Carvana.
Sponsored