Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Back in 2000 I had a V8 Explorer that was destroying transmissions. I went through 3 replacements. The Dealer was the bigger pain in the bum than Ford. After I called Ford customer service and complained about my treatment at dealership and frustration with my vehicle Ford sent two engineers to the dealer to find problem (they fixed it and never had another issue) and must've called the dealer (owner) because I was treated like royalty after that. Everyone was Mr. CMU_CHIP this Mr. CMU_CHIP that. I also wanted Ford to take back truck under lemon law without dragging it through court they refused instead Ford gave me free oil changes for the life of the vehicle as a for your troubles offering. I still drive Fords (don't use dealership any longer). Issues happen. As long as the warranty is honored. I would let Ford fix problem chances of two engines blowing is miniscule an I would demand a boat load of Ford points for your troubles.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Honestly there are so many issues with the assembly line and the 2.7, that having your engine replaced and a mechanic going over all the connections might actually be better.

Many folks have found so many things loose that at least you know they will more than likely tighten those up during an engine swap.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m sure there were qualified techs that installed the new engine. I wouldn’t worry too much about. Just drive the thing and sell it or trade in after warranty expires.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The 2.3 definitely does not have tons of power. It may be adequate for some/most but that description is pushing it, lol… and so far the 2.3 seems more reliable as there isn’t a specific production issue with it but long term, it may not be as reliable. It may be working harder to move such a heavy vehicle and wear out sooner. We won’t see that yet though. Assuming it’s more reliable is only speculation at this stage. Hopefully Ford is on top of the 2.7’s (hopefully limited) issue and won’t be a concern for too many more people.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd keep it in the meantime, and see if you get over the "betrayal" feelings towards your bronco. The bright side is shiny new engine. I had my cpu mess up and put my car into limp mode and that was scary as hell (my dumb ass kept driving it for a few days til I could take it in). Also had the valvesprings replaced under warranty which there had been some cases of failure afterwards and mines still ticking. Just saying, like others have mentioned, the shock is still fresh, at least give it a month or so while seeing what offers you can get and then come to a decision. At least it wasn't death wobble!

Sponsored

notbuildingrockets

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond, 2010 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Fortunately for you, the market is red hot for these right now. I would call every dealership in the area and see what they say. Every dealership has "outside buyers" and access to online auction websites that retail customers don't necessarily have access to. Have your VIN ready, the odometer, window sticker and maybe 12 photos - interior and exterior. And of course, be sure to disclose the issues. Know exactly what you owe on it (call Ford Credit, or if it's through a bank, call the bank or your original dealership), and if you're going to be replacing it with something else, you'll likely at least break even, if not come out a little ahead. I shopped an Outer Banks last week with 5000 kms for a customer and we were seeing bids anywhere from $10-15k over. Good luck!

ex_nyer

Badlands
First Name
Chokes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Land Cruiser, Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any suggestions for determining a good price point? MSRP was $51,875. Don't want to take a loss and know they are going over MSRP right now.
Currently has about 2900 miles.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about this. Have you checked State Lemon Laws? I'm not a big lawyer up person but given that the engine replacement will probably be part of the cars history, it might be worth looking into.

Hopefully an educated buyer will realize that its a warranty issue and you'll get a good offer if you decide to sell it. Good Luck!

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
FYI ... warranty repairs do not appear in Carfax

Had a RS that was recalled for a headgasket issue and the repair never made it to carfax

and the whole depreciation does not apply right now. I sold my 2019 Raptor with 13Kmiles for 69K (sold it to a dealership that I did not do any business with). Sticker was 70K

If.

Mostly it is 3 times for exact same failure before considered a lemon. Drop a valve and spin a bearing might be considered different and not same. 3 times fixing one single part, usually. But it varies by state.

And if OP does not disclose what certainly will show in carfax makes them vulnerable to lawsuit.

That being said, private sale of a vehicle with a replaced engine will never return what you paid and not even I would think the depreciated value. As soon as you drive a $50k vehicle off the lot it is worth of $40k at best.

Last edited:

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Huh? I mean obviously it will be on the car's service report but where's the concern here? It dropped a valve SO the engine is getting replaced, at 2900 miles. The engine being replaced eliminates any chance that the dropped valve could have an effect on anything else....
The concern would be that your are likely paying MSRP or above for a used vehicle that has had major very technical mechanical work done. What other problems will be caused down the line by errors made by the technician?

No offense to the OP as I would also consider selling due to these concerns. It would be a tough decision because you can’t get another bronco. However, after this, maybe you don’t want one.

As a buyer, I wouldn’t touch this. However, someone most definitely will buy it given supply/demand.

Gomezstx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Our 4door 2.7L badlands dropped a valve and blew the engine, leaving us stranded when on a road trip. Ford is replacing the engine. However, the experience was so bad and now we have doubts about taking it on future road trips or taking it anywhere out of cell service. Ford denied our request that they buy it back, so we are thinking of selling it. At this point, we are not even sure about how to price it. Any suggestions for determining a good price point? MSRP was $51,875. Don't want to take a loss and know they are going over MSRP right now.
Currently has about 2900 miles.
Consider yourself fortunate that the shortage of vehicles is in your favor. A year from now you would be in a position of taking a significant loss on your purchase by wanting to sell a car that you drove off the lot. List it on autotrader and disclose that you are getting an engine replacement under warranty. You will have several offers for purchase (including dealers who will find your listing). The market will respond to your available vehicle that has low inventory today. List it for what you have into it and count your blessings that you are able to offload it and not loose any money. Can you make $1000 or $1500 than you have in it? Only the market will tell you when offers are made. Best of luck

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
if the seller or the dealership did not disclose the engine had been replaced .. as a buyer you would never know

As a buyer, I wouldn’t touch this. However, someone most definitely will buy it given supply/demand.

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

what’s your build date?
can you give the VIN number as well? mpeugeot has been tracking this issue with the 2.7. He can lookup when the engine itself was manufactured.
Sponsored