mostly harmless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I know a lot of us have been going back and forth on all the options with the bronco, 2 - 4 door, manual or auto etc. I've gotten to the debate in my head where I'm considering a lower trim. Black Diamond in particular. Originally it was Badlands or bust, and I was all in on the manual. I've now changed my position on the manual, and have switched to the 2.7 Auto... (for now). But I was looking through the options, and doing the various pricing guestimates. And the lower trims while adding the things that I find important sasquatch, modular bumpers, and whatever will come in the aftermarket. I can get a very capable Bronco, and add aftermarket parts later as I see fit. It also makes the Bronco that much more affordable for me. I should add that I will be taking my bronco on trails, rock crawling will probably be minimal. So again making the Badlands seem like overkill. So my question is this, cost per performance, am I right in thinking that for my needs (hitting some trails, daily driver, overlanding) etc, that a lower lever trim like the BD will be more than enough?
I feel ya... I flip-flop between BL and BD every day! While I could technically afford the BL, it doesn’t mean that I should pay for the extra features that I probably don’t really “need”.
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a Bad-Man-Squatch fan, but I have looked into the Black Diamond as well.

Here are my main points of contention:
  • Base is out if the floors are a different stamping, ie non-wash out, as rumored
  • Maximum Mid package vice the Lux package; that 360 camera in the High isn't for the BD
  • Do I need the sway bar disconnect? Almost never so far.
  • The Bad-Man-Squatch is going to be highly coveted in the future due to the combination and the inevitable departure from offering manual transmissions, especially, with complex technological systems like the hydraulic disconnect.
It will depend on the Build & Price. If the manual transmission locks me out of the creature comforts the Badlands offers over the Black Diamond, then I may as well downgrade. I'm hoping that Ford, at least for this first year, allows us to have our cake and eat it too.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really wish I could drive a BD and OBX. I am pretty sure the BD would be a great price vs. performance platform. It was what I reserved and after two months of running calculators, reading comments in here and reviewing all the Ford material 200 times what I have sort of come back to. I have three key qualities, that in my experience, make a huge difference in how much I enjoy a vehicle. 1. What is the interior noise level. Specifically in the BD with the rubber floor. I can go with the noise isolating modular top, but if there is a big difference in volume and sound "quality" BD vs. OBX, I would spend more. I think "quality" of sound is as important as volume, but it gets tiring not being able to hold a conversation driving down the freeway. 2. Seats. In particular with the BD, vinyl seats. Until I can sit in them and understand the quality and feel of the seat, it leaves me wondering about open air, summer motoring. I am sure I can find seat covers that would be comfy direct on skin, but that's not my first choice. In general, I prefer cloth to vinyl or leather. 3. Step in height. I can always add off road oriented steps, but if I need them with the 32's, I don't want to take the stock rock sliders off to mount them. I would go Big Bend I guess? This is potentially another + for OBX?

My dealer is going to ty and get me in to check out the Bronco (no test drive, but at least to get in it, look at it in person) when it comes in for to the dealership for training (or any other event they become aware of, we are only a few miles from Dearborn). I am really hoping they have one in vinyl and rubber floor and one high end model. I also hope it happens prior to the order deadline. I am also assuming the ride, steering and handling is enough better than the Jeep competitor to notice (I am confident it will be). I just could not pull the trigger on another Jeep after my much loved 2006 LJ, that I absolutely hated to drive when we moved from GA to MI. The Bronco is hopefully my Goldilocks vehicle, I am just not sure which model will make it....just right :)

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really wish I could drive a BD and OBX. I am pretty sure the BD would be a great price vs. performance platform. It was what I reserved and after two months of running calculators, reading comments in here and reviewing all the Ford material 200 times what I have sort of come back to. I have three key qualities, that in my experience, make a huge difference in how much I enjoy a vehicle. 1. What is the interior noise level. Specifically in the BD with the rubber floor. I can go with the noise isolating modular top, but if there is a big difference in volume and sound "quality" BD vs. OBX, I would spend more. I think "quality" of sound is as important as volume, but it gets tiring not being able to hold a conversation driving down the freeway. 2. Seats. In particular with the BD, vinyl seats. Until I can sit in them and understand the quality and feel of the seat, it leaves me wondering about open air, summer motoring. I am sure I can find seat covers that would be comfy direct on skin, but that's not my first choice. In general, I prefer cloth to vinyl or leather. 3. Step in height. I can always add off road oriented steps, but if I need them with the 32's, I don't want to take the stock rock sliders off to mount them. I would go Big Bend I guess? This is potentially another + for OBX?

My dealer is going to ty and get me in to check out the Bronco (no test drive, but at least to get in it, look at it in person) when it comes in for to the dealership for training (or any other event they become aware of, we are only a few miles from Dearborn). I am really hoping they have one in vinyl and rubber floor and one high end model. I also hope it happens prior to the order deadline. I am also assuming the ride, steering and handling is enough better than the Jeep competitor to notice (I am confident it will be). I just could not pull the trigger on another Jeep after my much loved 2006 LJ, that I absolutely hated to drive when we moved from GA to MI. The Bronco is hopefully my Goldilocks vehicle, I am just not sure which model will make it....just right :)

I have a 2017 F150 and the sound is better inside of it than my 2010 Lariat was, but you won't get that from the Bronco. It should, however, beat your 2006 LJ but by how much? We can only make assumptions about many characteristics of the Bronco and its trim levels, but I'm assuming that the OBX will have more "stuffing" to reduce NVH compared to anything below it.

If you need it to be as quiet as your F150 inside, then don't even look at this type of vehicle; you know from past experience that they're inherently noisier. However, if you're fine with all-terrain tires and the Outer Banks trim, then I believe you will be able to have reasonable NVH that doesn't prohibit a conversation. Ford takes NVH seriously, at least the past 20 years for some models, and I think some prior Jeep owners, myself included, are going to get into a Bronco and think their hearing improved due to the difference.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was pretty firm in the BD camp, still might be but leaning towards the BL with the painted Black Ht and 33s

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I was originally dead set on Badlands + 2.7/Lux/Leather etc. Now I'm leaning towards keeping my F-150 and going Base + Sas + 2.7. Who knows... Maybe I'll land somewhere in the middle. Black Diamond + 2.7 + Mid.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree and I don't expect the same interior sound levels as my 18 F150 (which is excellent BTW). I just know that at a certain point, if a vehicle is to loud or the wrong loud, it gets tiring. My LJ with 32" BFG MT was on the edge after a few hours, so the Bronco should be somewhat better, regardless of trim. My issue is in what model to choose. I put a high value on certain aspects because both I get to play more in the Bronco if it is more enjoyable for both me and my significant other. I am also starting to think the lower trim level and options I can go, the more I can customize it to fit my use/needs/preferences as I go. I would like a front locker, disconnects and LUX package. I know I need a rear locker, 32" AT and mid package to meet my baseline expectations (Auto trans and Hard top either way and probably the 2.7, because I just can't imagine life without it after having one in my last two vehicles).

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree and I don't expect the same interior sound levels as my 18 F150 (which is excellent BTW). I just know that at a certain point, if a vehicle is to loud or the wrong loud, it gets tiring. My LJ with 32" BFG MT was on the edge after a few hours, so the Bronco should be somewhat better, regardless of trim. My issue is in what model to choose. I put a high value on certain aspects because both I get to play more in the Bronco if it is more enjoyable for both me and my significant other. I am also starting to think the lower trim level and options I can go, the more I can customize it to fit my use/needs/preferences as I go. I would like a front locker, disconnects and LUX package. I know I need a rear locker, 32" AT and mid package to meet my baseline expectations (Auto trans and Hard top either way and probably the 2.7, because I just can't imagine life without it after having one in my last two vehicles).
I read Outer Banks with optional rear locker at a minimum. :D (y)

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I read Outer Banks with optional rear locker at a minimum. :D (y)
That’s where I sort of ended up, but I am not a fan of the color matched flares and handles. I need build and price to figure out the actual price difference.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s where I sort of ended up, but I am not a fan of the color matched flares and handles. I need build and price to figure out the actual price difference.
Handles you'll probably not notice...provided you're a reasonable person, but the flares being painted really affect the image.

Good thing they're easily changed and you'll probably find a buyer or someone to trade with very easily.

Sponsored

Skagzoola

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Cruz (POS)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I know a lot of us have been going back and forth on all the options with the bronco, 2 - 4 door, manual or auto etc. I've gotten to the debate in my head where I'm considering a lower trim. Black Diamond in particular. Originally it was Badlands or bust, and I was all in on the manual. I've now changed my position on the manual, and have switched to the 2.7 Auto... (for now). But I was looking through the options, and doing the various pricing guestimates. And the lower trims while adding the things that I find important sasquatch, modular bumpers, and whatever will come in the aftermarket. I can get a very capable Bronco, and add aftermarket parts later as I see fit. It also makes the Bronco that much more affordable for me. I should add that I will be taking my bronco on trails, rock crawling will probably be minimal. So again making the Badlands seem like overkill. So my question is this, cost per performance, am I right in thinking that for my needs (hitting some trails, daily driver, overlanding) etc, that a lower lever trim like the BD will be more than enough?
I'm most likely going BD instead of BL.
Same boat as you: trails, probably not rock crawling.
And honestly the only performance differences between the BD and BL is the sway bar disco, and a better suspension.
With the BL you're paying for more aesthetic options like the grill, signature headlights and optional shadow black hard top.
So the BL is more capable, especially for rock crawling, AND the BL looks better.
But you're paying an extra $8k for all that. All said and done you're looking at $50k plus.
BD seems like a much more affordable option, especially for someone who wants a more than capable rig, but who won't necessarily be doing hardcore rock crawling.
But man...I reeeeeaaally like the look of the BL.
All said and done, the BD still looks like a savage rig that wouldn't ever let you down.

Cooknn

Badlands
First Name
David Cook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reserved BD but am now on the BL bandwagon. I gotta have Lux. And dig the 33’s with optional wheels. Plus the signature headlights are pretty sweet. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm considering a 2.7L Badlands and Black Diamond too.

I'm Also, seriously considering the big Bend. You can get the optional rear differential locker on the big Bend for maybe $500-ish. This is the part that gives the Black Diamond its off-road capability. BB w/locker will save you a couple grand off the BD. BB tires are slightly taller than the BD tires, but less aggressive. Switch when the stock tires wear out. You also get aluminum 17" wheels vs steel. Any of these will be PLENTY off-road capable and also perform well on road with the 2.7L auto. Which I end up with is still a mystery to me. :)

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
BD is at the top of my list. It does have more off-roading capabilities than I really need for beach and light trails. But I'm stuck on the washout interior.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm most likely going BD instead of BL.
Same boat as you: trails, probably not rock crawling.
And honestly the only performance differences between the BD and BL is the sway bar disco, and a better suspension.
With the BL you're paying for more aesthetic options like the grill, signature headlights and optional shadow black hard top.
So the BL is more capable, especially for rock crawling, AND the BL looks better.
But you're paying an extra $8k for all that. All said and done you're looking at $50k plus.
BD seems like a much more affordable option, especially for someone who wants a more than capable rig, but who won't necessarily be doing hardcore rock crawling.
But man...I reeeeeaaally like the look of the BL.
All said and done, the BD still looks like a savage rig that wouldn't ever let you down.
You forget front lockers, heavy duty front axel, advanced 4x4 automatic, Bilstein shocks, almost 2" extra travel, 33" tires (look amazing!) and better rims.
Sponsored