Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Love this thing and how it looks, but I’ve never really cared for the third brake light. Plus, it takes up a lot of rear window room.

I had no idea what I was doing going into this, but it was actually relatively simple. I didn’t think about taking pics until getting into it.

I should probably put this as “off-road use only” since driving without a third brake light is illegal.

Ford Bronco Third Brake Light Removal (Bronco Raptor) - DIY how-to instructions & photos 623F6519-17A3-4D33-92CC-2B19C90CEA73

With the tire removed, you can see the four torx screws there. Remove these.

Ford Bronco Third Brake Light Removal (Bronco Raptor) - DIY how-to instructions & photos 27D1E813-5EC3-4925-B146-E607454A36F2

This is where I was stumped for a moment. How to remove the wiring for just the brake light. The camera and light wires share a lumen here, come apart for the connections, then go back into the same lumen outside the swing gate.

Ford Bronco Third Brake Light Removal (Bronco Raptor) - DIY how-to instructions & photos 53CF4C09-36B9-449F-965B-FFB0E6B9BE9F

I didn’t take a picture here, but the rear side of the third brake light assembly has nine torx screws (there was an extra one inside of mine). Unscrew all of these and the assembly with come apart. There is a connection inside! Simply disconnect the plug and then you can free the assembly from the vehicle (there is also a connection where a plastic fastener goes into a hole to secure wiring, simply pull this out).
Ford Bronco Third Brake Light Removal (Bronco Raptor) - DIY how-to instructions & photos 83972769-81FC-4CA3-931C-A4FD0654C60B

Front side of assembly removed from vehicle.

Ford Bronco Third Brake Light Removal (Bronco Raptor) - DIY how-to instructions & photos C860CDF8-64FD-4AF9-A7C8-A0C719A07A79

Wiring is pictured here. Covered with electrical tape.

Ford Bronco Third Brake Light Removal (Bronco Raptor) - DIY how-to instructions & photos 913F5B7C-209A-44F3-86C3-41B56A62F0C9

I zip tied the wire together, then used another zip tie securing it to the camera wiring so it wouldn’t flop around. This picture is inside of the tire mount.

Ford Bronco Third Brake Light Removal (Bronco Raptor) - DIY how-to instructions & photos DC57D48B-20F9-4912-BC7C-E9D2A976A94F

Can’t see the wiring, can ya Russ?

Ford Bronco Third Brake Light Removal (Bronco Raptor) - DIY how-to instructions & photos 33B85530-D8A0-454F-B140-4E7BEB4C6FEE

Tire mounted back on, much cleaner look.

Ford Bronco Third Brake Light Removal (Bronco Raptor) - DIY how-to instructions & photos B7419AD0-508D-4065-A0AA-DFE0533B59E2

Spacing behind the tire.

Very easy modification. I haven’t driven it around yet, but did move it from inside the garage to outside, and put it in drive for a moment. No dash lights or errors came on.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T Copp

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

OP
OP
T Copp

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sponsored

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know this is a federal law for manufacturers to have on vehicles. I assume it is illegal to remove? Maybe that depends on your state. I'm no expert, but you may have some run-ins with Johnny law.

UPDATE: Just re-read your post and you stated this is for off-road only. Never mind!

OP
OP
T Copp

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I know this is a federal law for manufacturers to have on vehicles. I assume it is illegal to remove? Maybe that depends on your state. I'm no expert, but you may have some run-ins with Johnny law.
Yeah, it is a federal law. When the time comes, I’ll just tell them it’s on back order from the factory. :LOL:

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yeah, it is a federal law. When the time comes, I’ll just tell them it’s on back order from the factory. :LOL:
Any update on how this feels?

I want to do the same, and maybe add a chase light. That third brake light takes up a lot of space.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
T Copp

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Any update on how this feels?

I want to do the same, and maybe add a chase light. That third brake light takes up a lot of space.
Still enjoy. I like not having that thing there. Chase light is a good option, still not sold on the ring brake lights behind the tire.

Sponsored

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

...still not sold on the ring brake lights behind the tire.
Yeah, the whole time I read this I'm thinking about that option to stay street legal. It hides neatly behind the wheel and 'technically' does provide the 3rd Brake light.

These Brake lights always seem to appear to be some kind of afterthought, like "Oh yeah, we better throw some kind of light on there... Hmmm, I guess this will do."

You'd think with LEDs being what they are now that incorporating them discreetly into the top (soft and hard) with an option to activate a small one embedded on the roll bar when the top is off - would not be that hard to make happen.

I can remember a time when the taillights were so small and dim, that you'd be on top of someone in front of you at night before your headlights gave you a clue they were even there. Now the tail lights look like they fell off a building in Vegas/Times Square/etc. giving a new meaning to 'in your face'.

Knives2.0

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4D BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still enjoy. I like not having that thing there. Chase light is a good option, still not sold on the ring brake lights behind the tire.
Are you willing to part ways with it? I like the look of the Braptor 3rd light and would gladly swap out the one on mine 😁

OP
OP
T Copp

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Are you willing to part ways with it? I like the look of the Braptor 3rd light and would gladly swap out the one on mine 😁
I never made an announcement on here or anywhere, but I sadly sold the Bronco in May.

Life changes. I miss it everyday.

I put the third light back on before selling. Sorry.

Aviator

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Oracles LED 3rd Brake Light is an awesome looking replacement as well. I did an install and demo the light here:

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

i will have the carrier and 3rd brake light for sale shortly
Sponsored