Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
  • Banned
This has to be the easiest clutch I’ve ever driven and the “auto gas” as I call it (because I don’t know what the proper term is) is amazing!

I’ve had the bronco 3 weeks and have driven it exclusively. I pulled my ‘97 TJ out of the garage this afternoon and didn’t stall but damn that clutch is stiff as a rock, as are the brakes. Went down the road and I’m out of sync with the gas shifting (so a nice big rev between gears). I feel like I’ve never drive stick before in my life and my wife is laughing. I used to think the TJ had the easiest clutch of any truck I’ve owned until now, damn am I spoiled!

Also shift throws are short and crisp compared to my past jeeps and trucks.

Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ditto. I was thinking I’d need a short shifter based on the throws I had with my Focus ST, but the throw and the positive feel when you hit the gates is very good. I will leave it as is.

Just starting to test the 7MT off road (brutal cold and wet start to summer where I live) but so far very good!

OP
OP
Bigmatt

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
  • Banned
Just starting to test the 7MT off road (brutal cold and wet start to summer where I live) but so far very good!
Judging by the experiences with the TJ and CJ I could see it being very sweet off-road. I’ll admit that autos are easy off-road but I think the 7speed will be great especially when it ads some accelerator automatically.
Hill decent will be nice as well, tested that in a park behind my house, that would be handier than a pocket on a shirt!

Hoping for a good winter here in northern Ohio to put it through the paces and see how it adds up to my XJ which was the best vehicle I’ve ever driven in the snow. From what I’ve seen so far I think the bronc will give it a run for the best!!

goalie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have ZERO regrets on the manual, and would do it again in a second. My JK was manual, and also fun, but this one feels better.

Sponsored

Robe81

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (Area 51, Black Diamond, M7)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To be honest, most manual transmissions made in the last 3-ish years that aren't hooked up to a monster V8 are soft as butter. I had a 2019 Wrangler and it was similar to my Bronco. As was all the Gladiators/Wranglers I drove at the dealership (was a mechanic there) and my very recent VW GLI that got traded for the Bronco. It doesn't quite feel as "manly" as the older ones, but I don't miss that crap at all every time I get stuck in traffic.

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My 2018 GTI was so easy to row that the salesman who rode with me on my first drive with my bronco questioned my abilities. I got used to it pretty quickly and love it. Getting to know a new manual transmission is one of the most rewarding aspects of owning a new vehicle.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This has to be the easiest clutch I’ve ever driven and the “auto gas” as I call it (because I don’t know what the proper term is) is amazing!

I’ve had the bronco 3 weeks and have driven it exclusively. I pulled my ‘97 TJ out of the garage this afternoon and didn’t stall but damn that clutch is stiff as a rock, as are the brakes. Went down the road and I’m out of sync with the gas shifting (so a nice big rev between gears). I feel like I’ve never drive stick before in my life and my wife is laughing. I used to think the TJ had the easiest clutch of any truck I’ve owned until now, damn am I spoiled!

Also shift throws are short and crisp compared to my past jeeps and trucks.

Anyone else notice this?
Wow, this is shocking to hear. If we only followed what was said on these hallowed digital pages during the lead-up to production you would know that the very second you tried to tow something of any weight with the 2.3 engine that it would blow up.

And the moment you tried to go up an incline the transmission would literally shoot out from under the vehicle into a nearby body of water.

BTW: are you referring to "Hill Assist" where it keeps revs at engagement point for a few seconds so you can get moving from a stop?

Here were the digital words I shouted at nobody who wouldn't listen regarding test driving a Badlands 2.3/MT which is the configuration I ordered back in 1998, or 2017, whenever it was that we ordered these supposed vehicles that don't exist:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...dlands-2-3-mt-2-door.15102/page-7#post-750296

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bigmatt

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
water.

BTW: are you referring to "Hill Assist" where it keeps revs at engagement point for a few seconds so you can get moving from a stop?

Here were the digital words I shouted at nobody who wouldn't listen regarding test driving a Badlands 2.3/MT which is the configuration I ordered back in 1998, or 2017, whenever it was that we ordered these supposed vehicles that don't exist:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...dlands-2-3-mt-2-door.15102/page-7#post-750296
Hill start assist: no not that I’m talking about the decent assist as in going down hills. It keeps you at a set speed under 15-20 mph

Sorry I haven’t read your post but being there is thousands of posts but it’s quite interesting.

OP
OP
Bigmatt

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
My Manual Sasquatch feels like a monster version of my old 6 speed mini cooper S. The clutch takes some getting used to, but I’m glad I waited for what I really wanted.
Same here, had some rough shifts at first but now it’s smooth

Last edited:

LT. DAN ICE CREAM!!!

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Might not have been the smartest idea for me to learn how to drive a manual transmission on my Bronco, but I'm damn glad I did. I drove a 2.3/auto mannequin and it felt soulless.

OP
OP
Bigmatt

Bigmatt

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Might not have been the smartest idea for me to learn how to drive a manual transmission on my Bronco, but I'm damn glad I did. I drove a 2.3/auto mannequin and it felt soulless.
In my honest opinion I think the bronco would be one of the best to learn on!
Sponsored