Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

More like insurance companies will be charging some customers a fee for not turning over their driving habit data.
I'd pay the fee, I don't want the Insurance Mafia to know how I am
Sponsored

Cypher

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd pay the fee, I don't want the Insurance Mafia to know how I am
Where I see the real issue is a company like FCA or Ford etc. using the data to deny a warranty coverage claim. If they can prove you spent the day doing high speed desert running, or a day in Moab etc. and you have an engine knock etc. they could claim it was due to abuse. Warranty claims are a big line item for a automotive company, that is why there is so much pushback in the Wrangler world. If there is a way to get out of the claim they will take it. This is a way to make actual money selling the data to others, and to save money with warranty work.

TexMex

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looking at how big Corp gets what ever laws it wants passed through, I see this as a fairly realistic possibility.

You aren't still under the assumption that we are free in America still , are you?
Tell me about all the things you enjoy, want or need that are NOT regulated or controlled by the Gov't in some manner.
I'm fairly libertarian so you're preaching to the choir. Crony capitalism destroys any semblance of a free market but people had these same fears when OnStar debuted. It's a hard sell when forced upon consumers. It should also be noted that OBD2 devices provided by insurance companies that perform similar functions have existed for years and those with privacy concerns have avoided them without issue.

Last edited:

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Where I see the real issue is a company like FCA or Ford etc. using the data to deny a warranty coverage claim.
I don't have a problem with denying warranty coverage for legitimate abuse of a vehicle. If I take my $30,000 car to a drag strip and run it into the wall, I don't expect State Farm to cover the damage. If I melt a piston on the big end or break an axle in the burnout box, that's on me too. Now, if the manufacturer sells the vehicle with track functions, like a line lock and launch control (mustang) then the water gets muddy real fast for warranty claims. Race car insurance is expensive, I hear, so I've adopted the policy of not racing any car that I can't afford to walk away from if I wad it up and survive.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It’s 100% optional. You can do it to lower your insurance cost if you so desire. Or not.
For now............

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Threads like this remind me of one of my all time favorite shows, Person of Interest. Lol

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This from the actual Ford site about this program:

The insurance offer starts with these models: 2020 Ford Explorer, Fusion, Mustang, Transit Connect, Escape, Edge, EcoSport, Expedition, F-Series Super Duty, Transit, Ranger and the upcoming all-new 2021 F-150; and 2020 Lincoln Aviator, MKZ, Corsair, Nautilus and Navigator.

So for now, 2021 Bronco is not included - whew...

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Y’all might be surprised how much data your current car is collecting and who has access to it.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mean while Mike Levine is on twitter right now tell GM how dumb they are for trying to fight California in a lawsuit against them setting more stringent emissions laws than any other state. Ford has been disappointing lately.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hmm, if they can pull, could they push junk in to deny you a claim? Not every claim, just one in 30 or so. Helps the bottom line. ?

Na, would never happen, we just need to trust our betters..?

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Natural next question: How easy will it be for you or other third parties to connect to the car and modify the firmware? Display custom information? Disable certain alarms (seatbelt chimes, etc.)? And disable this snooping, of course?
Sponsored