Sponsored

this whole thing has illuminated how the dealership mafia is bad for car owners. elon was right. Direct to door has to happen

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just got off the phone with a moron at my dealer and im just dumbfounded. Didnt know what the big bronco was. Had to hang up before i started screaming (i havent done this in my life on the phone)

Dealerships are large areas of unused space for stacking cars that sit for years. They basically ruined the economic potential of my area by clogging the entire city/town with giant dealerships of cars that just sit

Used car dealerships are fine i guess that makes sense. However modern car companies should be making cars on demand for customers and delivering them.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Too many people want to take home a car the same day for dealer lots to go away entirely but I would love a world where at the end of B&P we clicked add to cart and could select 2 day shipping.

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Too many people want to take home a car the same day for dealer lots to go away entirely but I would love a world where at the end of B&P we clicked add to cart and could select 2 day shipping.
im pretty sure most people would pay the shipping cost too

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
im pretty sure most people would pay the shipping cost too
We already pay the shipping cost now... so yeah. Tesla model would be the way to go. But all the big manufacturers already have contracts with dealerships in place that prevent this from happening.

Sponsored

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I completely agree. Although I have friends that work at dealerships and my brother did for along time. Every time I have purchased a car I walked away feeling like they some how ripped me off. Adding that whole middle man to the whole purchasing process creates too many opportunities for dishonest salesmen to make a brand look bad. I get that people want to go somewhere and look at a car, test drive it, etc. But if Companies like Carvana have proven anything its that the business model can work without the lots. That said, Carvana only sells used cars. While I don't understand the legalities, contracts, history, or whatever that is in place that has us stuck with this whole "new cars only at dealerships" model, it seems pretty clear to me the model would work with new or used cars.

Certainly that doesn't mean you can't or wont get ripped off either way, at the very least its less in person high pressure sales tactics, and you're kinda in a better position to take your time and think about things.

If this whole Bronco delay has taught me anything, it is patience, and thinking about whether or not I really want to buy a 60k SUV. I've been pretty impulsive with my vehicle purchases in the past so having literally no choice but to wait has been difficult, but I am better off for it. I've had more time to save up for my down payment, and more time to think about what I am getting into, and will be in a better position when the time comes to negotiate a better deal. That would NOT have been the case if I had just been able to go to a ford dealership and buy one the minute it came out. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We already pay the shipping cost now... so yeah. Tesla model would be the way to go. But all the big manufacturers already have contracts with dealerships in place that prevent this from happening.
from what i understand it was the dealership lobby that killed elons plans. it was a direct political assault that killed it.

tons of people are employed by dealers , i get it. But they are turning our towns into ugly shitty messes and depriving people of living/business space.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd say it gives us opportunity to find a good one. So many folks rushed for 'the deal' instead of the dealership. I'm in western burbs of Chicago, and I know that there are over a dozen dealerships within 30-40 min. I reached out to 4 I think, heard back from 1. ONE! Finally ended up at another very small one out in the country who has been fantastic to work with. Choose wisely.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I despise the entire vehicle purchase experience no matter the brand

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But they are turning our towns into ugly shitty messes and depriving people of living/business space.
Some of the dealerships around here. Particularly those in older more established areas of town, have started building parking garages as their "lot" instead of trying to spread out. Doesn't change the whole dealership dynamic, but it definitely helps with the sprawl. Around here all the dealerships tend to be all grouped together in specific areas, which I always found weird, but I guess its a nice convenience if you are cross shopping.

Still, taking up 1000 acres of land for a handful of dealerships does seem like a waste of space. They don't need 20 versions of every car, in every option and color combination to sell a car. At this point in my life, I would rather go to a showroom to look at stuff, maybe drive a floor model, and get an idea as to whether I like it. At which point I would then be able to place my order for EXACTLY what I want and have it come in a few weeks or whatever. At the very least the dealers can maintain inventory off-site in warehouses or garages perhaps out of town. And just have them shipped to the showroom or your house after your purchase. This is what Carvana does with the glass towers and all that for used cars. It's pretty nice imo, far more relaxing way to buy a car.

Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I RSVP online, did my B&P online, took the B&P to the dealership so they could input my info into their computer and I paid them a deposit. I will then have to go back to them, pick up the vehicle.

At some point, I am doing more work than them, but paying a premium and absorbing the risk, for lesser service and knowledge.

The model is defunct and their existence is becoming obsolete.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Between the Carvana and Tesla business models, dealerships will definitely be a thing of the past sooner or later. I wouldn't be surprised if in 30 years we all have electric cars that we pay for via a subscription service. A few manufacturers have tried it already but it's not quite there yet.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not all dealerships are created equal and fortunately, Ford allowed everyone with a reservation to switch to a different dealer. I took advantage of that and could not be happier and more relieved that I did.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I RSVP online, did my B&P online, took the B&P to the dealership so they could input my info into their computer and I paid them a deposit. I will then have to go back to them, pick up the vehicle.

At some point, I am doing more work than them, but paying a premium and absorbing the risk, for lesser service and knowledge.

The model is defunct and their existence is becoming obsolete.
Just like Cable TV companies having to evolve to offer internet and homesecurity to offset that streaming services are killing off traditional cable TV, car dealers will have to evolven too.

The dealers like Stephens and Granger who embrace incorporating internet purchasing into their business model will thrive and the rest are going to struggle.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not all dealerships are created equal and fortunately, Ford allowed everyone with a reservation to switch to a different dealer. I took advantage of that and could not be happier and more relieved that I did.
But why should you need to? Ford took your rsvp, they let you do the B&P, they communicate with you about the build and delivery dates...why do you even need to go to any dealer, let alone a "good one"?

I understand many people are going through Granger, and they seem like stand up folks, but why does it make sense that a customer should have to drive or fly to a dealership at all?

Cut out the dealer profit, create Ford Concierge, and make it service based. Somebody delivers the vehicle, prepped, ready to go. They teach you about the vehicle, set up your profile for tech and seats...all that stuff. The dealers can become customer service centers, where they focus just on customer needs, but door delivery concierge is where its at.
Sponsored