First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I started with premium in January. I was getting 19.8 mpg consistently. I read through some info on the 2.3 and everything said no need for premium. When prices really starting creeping up I was looking for a reason to switch to 87. I called an engineer I know and talked through what I thought I understood and what Ford's documentation was saying. He said I would probably get better mileage with the 87 and maybe a slight boost in power with the premium if any at all. I switched to the 87. I have had my preventative maintenance done since switching as well so they may be a part of it, but I am at 22mpg now and have not noticed any difference in the drive or power. I had it off road with premium, but not since switching to 87. I don't plan on switching back to the premium either after talking to the mechanic I use on a regular he also stated premium will be better for older cars, but now everything is dialed in and compensated for 87 so keep to 87.
Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Haven't used premium one time. If I am near E and I'm with the boys and the bronco is packed? I might toss some 93 in there to see if the old butt dyno can tell a difference (nobody else in the car would notice).

However I just changed the oil this weekend (900 miles) so I could finally ring out and see what she can do. Sport mode on 87 is plenty.

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question for those that have been able to get some miles on the 2.3 and run a few tanks of gas through.

now that the novelty is wearing off, and the national average price of gas hit another all time high today, are you still buying premium gas?
Can you tell there is a horsepower bump?

(I haven’t taken delivery yet)
9500 miles, just put first drop of 87 octane in it, i havent noticed the difference, and i usually get on it at least 2-3 times everytime i drive, i have the manual. good question because i was wondering and desperately trying not not go regular octane but did and seems fine.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I started with premium in January. I was getting 19.8 mpg consistently. I read through some info on the 2.3 and everything said no need for premium. When prices really starting creeping up I was looking for a reason to switch to 87. I called an engineer I know and talked through what I thought I understood and what Ford's documentation was saying. He said I would probably get better mileage with the 87 and maybe a slight boost in power with the premium if any at all. I switched to the 87. I have had my preventative maintenance done since switching as well so they may be a part of it, but I am at 22mpg now and have not noticed any difference in the drive or power. I had it off road with premium, but not since switching to 87. I don't plan on switching back to the premium either after talking to the mechanic I use on a regular he also stated premium will be better for older cars, but now everything is dialed in and compensated for 87 so keep to 87.
According to Ford ....

87 octane - 275 bhp / 315 torque
93 octane - 300 bph / 325 torque

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve run both Chevron Supreme and Circle K regular in my 4 banger, No noticeable difference in power.
Now ask me the difference between Regular and Sport modes 😳😎

Sponsored

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Question for those that have been able to get some miles on the 2.3 and run a few tanks of gas through.

now that the novelty is wearing off, and the national average price of gas hit another all time high today, are you still buying premium gas?
Can you tell there is a horsepower bump?

(I haven’t taken delivery yet)
6,000 miles so far 2.3 10spd and I have yet to put premium in. My previous car was a high compression motor and required premium so I'm kinda enjoying the regular pump rn. I'll probably put a tank or two in at some point. The 2.3 is perfectly fine, its not slow and its not fast

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wouldn’t be putting premium fuel into an engine like the 2.3L even in a parallel universe where this awful pandemic never happened and gas prices were still at 2019 levels.

It’s such a minor bump that leaves a recognizable dent on the fuel bill for a vehicle that gets such mediocre mileage on a good day. I say more power to those of you who don’t mind the expense bump but to me it’s well past the point of diminishing returns and isn’t what I really look for in vehicles like this.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Where I live 'Regular' is 85 so I've been getting "Mid' 87 and getting 23 mpg and all the power I need. Although all my late model Fords say to use 87, I've always used 85 with no issue. But the Bronco is a horse of a different color (first Turbo, first DI) so I'm using the 87...and bought my first ever extended warranty.

OP
OP
DustyBronco

DustyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve run both Chevron Supreme and Circle K regular in my 4 banger, No noticeable difference in power.
Now ask me the difference between Regular and Sport modes 😳😎
Haha headed to take delivery of my badlands right now, so no sport mode.
:(

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Oh too bad 😔 It really moves in Sport mode.
I accidentally squealed tires making a left turn in traffic the other day. Surprised me!!

Bigcat64

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Living and loving the 2.3 Sasquatch, saved some initial money and spent it on other mods.

I love letting friends and family drive it and then telling them it’s a 4 cylinder

CJ74

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife and I ran 93 in our edge before gas went up, then we tried 87 for a while. We both could tell a difference, same with my ranger. We traded the edge for the Bronco, it's all 93 for both.

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I ran premium for 3,000ish miles, switched to regular and it doesn't really change things too much, so the last 4k miles have been on regular.

When I want the boost, I just kick on Sport mode.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn, we reserved at the same time and have the same exact build (minus the change to green), AND FJ40s 🍻

Please consider the Sprint Booster or a Pedal Commander to remove as much or little pedal lag as you want. I have my Sprint Booster on Sport 7 most of the time and the throttle response is awesome. Sport mode is that easy to add, without computer code.
Sponsored