Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

2.3L 2door Black Diamond, non-sas. I've been on the fence about using premium. I was originally running regular and was averaging about 18.2mpg, but this was in the winter and I was in 4A. Right around the time weather started getting nice, I started trying premium gas just to try it and started averaging 20.2 mpg, but I'm also running in 2H now. So idk if the mpg difference was mostly because of the gas or the fact that I'm sending power to only the rear now instead of all four. It's probably a combo of the two. As far as hp, I can't say that it is a noticeable difference. As someone else mentioned, you want more power, just switch to sport mode.

For anyone getting over 21mpg, do you have street tires? How are you getting such good mileage? Do I just drive too aggressively? lol I'm in a 2door non-sas so the only thing I can think of would be street tires vs the Grabbers I have, or maybe even more efficient gearing on the "less offroady" trim levels, but idk if that is true.
I have the Big Bend 2.3, auto with the 32” tires, and in Eco mode I get over 22mpg. Gauges say over 23, but my math puts me firmly at 22.5 mpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Obviously this is a Mustang 2.3 dyno plot, so the absolute numbers will not be the same, however I have high confidence the relative gains will be on the same general curve on the Bronco 2.3

The peak torque numbers are, as expected just a handful of lb-feet different at peak (there will be higher differences at higher RPM that should mimic the curve below, you don't get any more peak torque, just doesn't drop off as much with the higher Octane.)

The higher Octane will only come into play at 4500 RPM and above (while the RPM that shows the divergence on a Bronco may be slight different). Essentially below 4500 RPM you will see no measurable difference in power production. Just for ease of explanation, will make our comparison using an automatic transmission. The only time in normal usage you will see 4500 plus RPM is at full throttle. Think about the distance traveled for only the time at full throttle on a tank of fuel. Maybe 300 miles of range, if you are using a mile of that at full throttle (broken up into different moments in a single tank of fuel), that would be pretty damn aggressive, if you did it for a total of five miles on a tank, you would probably be standing before a judge and losing your license.
At five miles in every 300 that is less than 1.7% of the distance traveled per tank. The other 98% of the time, you can feel no difference. My part of the Country is showing about a 20% difference between 87 and 91/93 Octane. Call it $.90 a gallon difference, multiply that by 98.3% and you find that $0.88 of that $.90 is simply wasted in normal, not full throttle, travel because you are not getting any more power for nearly all of the time you drive.

I would expect a quarter second or thereabouts difference from 0-60 MPH, an amount that isn't going to make a bit of difference in getting you out of an accident or merging on the highway if you pay the slightest bit of attention when driving.

I don't believe that anyone who actually thinks sensibly about their usage would decide to use the higher Octane unless the tune (or carbon build up/other malady) required it to prevent knocking. It is an extra $12 or so a tank for gains you may only use 2% of the time. If that is worth it to you, fantastic! Have a super day. Mine will only see 87 Octane from the day I get it.

Ford Bronco Those living with the 2.3… 92_vs_87

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Regular - 87 Octane on mine.

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've ran about 4000k miles on 91/93. I switched to 89 just to see and been running that for over 1500miles, I fell no difference. Actually running 89, I've had no issues with the turbo wastegate or sensor acting up. Also I decide to do my 120 mile trip today in ECO mode. Not the best driving experience but I did get wonderful gas milage. The computer said 22.5mpg, but when I did it by hand I got 24.84mpg. 2.3L 10spd 3.71 rear 35's with 2" lift. Speedo was corrected and checked many times to be on point. I drive mostly the speed limit and take my time. Seems my average speed was 56-57mph

IMG_20220516_193628.jpg

IMG_20220516_193538.jpg

Last edited:

Johnnunez29

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
yall doing better than me. i think the 2.3 is pretty underpowered. Of course i upgraded wheels to 20" with 35" tires and took a 3 hr road trip. If i got 15 mpg i was lucky i could damn near see the needle moving lol. that was 87 aint no way im pumping premium.

Sponsored

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
yall doing better than me. i think the 2.3 is pretty underpowered. Of course i upgraded wheels to 20" with 35" tires and took a 3 hr road trip. If i got 15 mpg i was lucky i could damn near see the needle moving lol. that was 87 aint no way im pumping premium.
You correct your speedo to compensate for the larger tires?

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

30hp, its worth the extra money

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2.3L 2door Black Diamond, non-sas. I've been on the fence about using premium. I was originally running regular and was averaging about 18.2mpg, but this was in the winter and I was in 4A. Right around the time weather started getting nice, I started trying premium gas just to try it and started averaging 20.2 mpg, but I'm also running in 2H now. So idk if the mpg difference was mostly because of the gas or the fact that I'm sending power to only the rear now instead of all four. It's probably a combo of the two. As far as hp, I can't say that it is a noticeable difference. As someone else mentioned, you want more power, just switch to sport mode.

For anyone getting over 21mpg, do you have street tires? How are you getting such good mileage? Do I just drive too aggressively? lol I'm in a 2door non-sas so the only thing I can think of would be street tires vs the Grabbers I have, or maybe even more efficient gearing on the "less offroady" trim levels, but idk if that is true.
4 door bb, 3.73 rear end. I'm averaging about 24mpg. In eco with max effort I can squeak out 25.5 maybe 26. Lots of light throttle input, cruise control and costing and leaving auto start stop on

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

There's way too many variables to accurately compare mpg with others.

I have a 4-door 2.3/7sp with larger tires. During winter when it's near 0° I get 13mpg cruising @80mph. Right now at 75° I get around 17mpg at that same speed. If I take the back roads instead of the high, I can easily get 25mpg. When I take the back roads I'm cruising at 50mph with few traffic lights. In the city I tend to get around 17mpg.

So there is way more to it than tire size/type and model of Bronco. Cruising speed, tempature, stops, altitude above sea level, head winds. Strong winds can cause you to loose a couple mpg.

Also manyFuel Stations switch to "Winter-blend Gas" in the colds months, which gives you worse milage.

Sponsored

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
30hp, its worth the extra money
30hp at what, 6k rpm. How often are you driving at 6,000rpm. Maybe 5 seconds a trip. It doesn't do much for the low end torque that your using 99% of your drive. That's a lot of money wasted for a few seconds of slightly higher power.

Markco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the Big Bend 3.3, auto with the 32” tires, and in Eco mode I get over 22mpg. Gauges say over 23, but my math puts me firmly at 22.5 mpg
I only use reg on my 2 dr black diamond. I average 20 mpg. She has all the neck jerking power i need.

Banksy51

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I’m in an Outer Banks with the factory 32”. My off road buddies call them pizza cutters and I call them silent Dollar Bills cause they are quiet and save on the fuel.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Initially all I used was 93 octane, I figure a few dollars for more horsepower why not? Lately I alternate with 87 or only fill with 93 when I have a bunch of Harris Teeter gas rewards to cash in lol I seem to notice the difference, slightly, but it's got plenty of power either way. I have about 3500 miles on my 2.3 engine and over the last 500 or so have averaged 24.5 mpg. I do make a point to use "top tier" or name brand gas.

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used premium for like 3 fill-ups.

I've done long distance highway driving, washboard desert, loose dirt, snow, rock crawling and for the most part my average is always right around 17 MPG on 91 and now 87.

The 2.3 paired with the 7MT is a perfect fit for the Bronco. It's also nice to be able to hear the sounds of nature more clearly.
Sponsored