Sponsored

Those with a Roof Top Tent- how often do you remove it?

Mcurtis137

Raptor
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am considering buying a rooftop tent but the one situation I really don’t want to find myself in is casually driving around days or weeks at a time with an extra 150lbs on the roof because it’s too difficult to remove the tent when not in use.

Those that have them, do you fully remove them in between each use?

Also, did you install some sort of winch or pulley system in your garage or are you able to handle it on your own?

Thanks for any insights!
Sponsored

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I take mine off when there is little chance that I'm camping...I just remove and install by hand!

Antimatter06

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 6-speed
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rooftop tent comes off between uses. About to put mine back up, leaving for Pensacola Friday. I could leave it on full-time, with the bars on my bed rack (Gladiator). Not sure if I would want 160 lbs on a removable roof.

Longbow

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4 eyebolts in garage ceiling and 2 ratchet straps. 20 min install. However this was for the 4runner, because I cannot find a decent priced hardtop at the moment..... =)

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Biggest disappointment is my Bronco won't fit in my garage what the RTT.

So I guess if I were to get one (which I really want) the answer would be "all the time" :mad:

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan to remove mine during the off season or extended summer times when I don't imagine using it. I rigged up Smarterhome winch/pulleys in my garage to hoist off and store up against the ceiling.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am considering buying a rooftop tent but the one situation I really don’t want to find myself in is casually driving around days or weeks at a time with an extra 150lbs on the roof because it’s too difficult to remove the tent when not in use.

Those that have them, do you fully remove them in between each use?

Also, did you install some sort of winch or pulley system in your garage or are you able to handle it on your own?

Thanks for any insights!
I would rather have a tent on a trailer or ground. The minute you set up the tent you can't go leave. To restrictive.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine has been hanging from my garage ceiling since I bought it last Fall, however, I'll be re-mounting it this week. Although it's only 8 bolts attaching it to my roof rack, they're still a PITA to get to and wrench on when I need to. That alone would inhibit me from removing it often , so I'll be looking to pick up some shorter bolts that will lessen the wrenching time. Would be nice to find more of a quick-release system to make it even easier.

OP
OP
Mcurtis137

Mcurtis137

Raptor
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Mine has been hanging from my garage ceiling since I bought it last Fall, however, I'll be re-mounting it this week. Although it's only 8 bolts attaching it to my roof rack, they're still a PITA to get to and wrench on when I need to. That alone would inhibit me from removing it often , so I'll be looking to pick up some shorter bolts that will lessen the wrenching time. Would be nice to find more of a quick-release system to make it even easier.
Shorter bolts wouldn’t reduce the stability or have any sort of negative impact?

Sponsored

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shorter bolts wouldn’t reduce the stability or have any sort of negative impact?
No. The main issue is that the bolts for my 23Zero tent are so long, and the nuts are nylock. So I'm spending a ton of time with a ratcheting wrench and arms in a tight position between the roof rack and MIC top. Shorter bolts will still capture all of the threads of the nylock nuts

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m just getting around to having the ability to mount one - but, the main reason I opted for a GFC Superlite after a season with a Roofnest on our Transit is because I want to remove it when not on a trip. GFC quick release mounts make it a no brainer and at 80 lbs my wife and I can mount/dismount easily…or so I hope.

The only reason I went this direction in the first place is because you’re unable to camp on the ground at the fishing beaches we go to.

aniljavali

Badlands
First Name
Anil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands '22 & Tesla 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rooftop tent comes off between uses. About to put mine back up, leaving for Pensacola Friday. I could leave it on full-time, with the bars on my bed rack (Gladiator). Not sure if I would want 160 lbs on a removable roof.
cool, what is your section setup look like?

aniljavali

Badlands
First Name
Anil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands '22 & Tesla 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would rather have a tent on a trailer or ground. The minute you set up the tent you can't go leave. To restrictive.
setting up and tearing down RTT is so fast, you won't feel the pain, in my opinion

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use the new iKamper Blue Dot Voyager Solo tent. It's only 130 pounds and low profile. I leave it on year round since it fits in the garage and does very little to effect the vehicle performance.

If you go with a heavy tent, the vehicle will sway and make it a pain to take on and off. The key is as light as possible.

This tent has been through heavy winds, lightning and rain. It's proven itself not to leak and is pitch black inside when zipped up. LOVE IT!
Ford Bronco Those with a Roof Top Tent- how often do you remove it? Untitled desi

Ford Bronco Those with a Roof Top Tent- how often do you remove it? Untitled design (1)

Ford Bronco Those with a Roof Top Tent- how often do you remove it? Untitled design (2)
Sponsored

Last edited: