Sponsored

Thoughts/honest reviews on a 2.3L auto tranny with Sasquatch???

BigCatKale

Everglades
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Everglades / 2021 Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Hey, did you happen to eat at the IHOP on 71st last weekend? There was a desert sand Everglades parked there when we walked out. The 3 of us had to take the wife's Jaguar because my Badlands is a 2-seater.
Nope, that wasn’t me. I didn’t get out much last weekend. Wife was busy and my kids were wild, lol.

So there is another DS Everglades in town, but I haven’t seen them on here I don’t think. I wonder who it is. I would like to meet my twin!
Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I prefer a manual transmission and that's what I have on my Mustang convertible. However, Ford did not allow a manual transmission with Sasquatch for 2021, so I got the automatic. I've test driven a 2.3 manual Bronco and I prefer the automatic overall. The automatic smooths out any turbo lag or other jerkiness that you seem to get with the manual.

When in 4L, first gear is low enough that I can't imagine how the crawler gear could be any better. I only really shift it myself when going down hills. For steep stuff first gear in 4H is still a bit higher than I would like for proper engine braking, but in 4L there are plenty of good choices. Going down a 12 degree grade for over a mile, you really don't want to be using the brakes the whole way.

As for power, the 2.3 has plenty. I have never once wanted a more powerful engine. If I want to go fast, I'll ride one of my motorcycles. :cool:

And with the automatic, my wife is willing to drive it once in a while. Even though we lived for years with only manual transmission cars, she claims to have forgotten how to drive them. :cautious:

The bottom of that 12 degree grade:
2Cg6MhV.jpg

TallDude

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Non-SAS, I have the 2.3l + 10spd.
Only complaint is with the 10spd not being the smoothest on the low gears, which I guess is common across the Ford line up.
Power wise I have zero qualms with the 2.3l, actually pleasantly surprised.
Been out on some logging roads, highways, city driving and it’s an excellent and fun little engine. Potent might I say for being in a big heavy 4dr brick.
It can pull stuck Jeeps out just fine too 😜
Ford Bronco Thoughts/honest reviews on a 2.3L auto tranny with Sasquatch??? BE92677E-6AB0-406E-BFB0-386F28D0CBD1

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

17,000 miles on my 2.3 4 door auto Sasquatch Black Diamond and it's great. Perfectly fine combo, you'll never think about it.

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I gave up and paid $2k ADM to get a 2 door BaseSquatch off a lot. I was tired of waiting and have no guarantee my SAS order would be built. I’d originally ordered the 2.3 as I wanted a manual. However, the Off Rodeo in Moab convinced me the auto trail tools weren’t gimmicks, so changed to a 2.7 and auto. The one I ended up with is a 2.3 auto 2 door.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the 2.3. It has more than enough pep on and off the highway. My other car is a 911, so I have that to chirp the tires when so inclined. But I find the 2.3 pushes the 2 door SAS easily. I’ve not had it off road yet, and won’t be towing, so can’t speak to those uses. And the 4 door weighs more obviously, but I’m not wishing for more power.

Last edited:

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Would not even consider trading my 2.3L for the V6 even if it was free. Plenty of power and torque, simpler, lighter, and 20mpg.
Sponsored