First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just got back from the Austin off-rodeo and I got to drive a manual 4 door Bronco. I was very impressed with the way it drove and handled going over rocks and up/down hills. Once it got rolling, I never touched the clutch again. It drove like an automatic on the trail. Crawl and 1st gear have lots of torque and was easy to drive on the trail. Didn’t kill it or come close to killing it at all. No regrets ordering the manual
Sponsored

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm tempted to switch to the MT but I want to wait until the 2.7 engine comes out for it. And I don't want to lose all the tech. Quite the conundrum.

OP
OP

ABerrio

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for posting! I have not driven a manual in probably 10 years and am a bit worried I will look like an idiot driving mine off the lot 🤣 (if it ever gets built).
I don’t think that will be a problem! It’s super easy to drive. The only thing is the gears are close together. It’s easy to miss the 1st gear and Put it in 3rd.(I did that!)

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm tempted to switch to the MT but I want to wait until the 2.7 engine comes out for it. And I don't want to lose all the tech. Quite the conundrum.
what tech do you lose, aside from the technical data sheets for how to replace both turbos at 65,000 miles juuuuuuuuuuuust out of warranty?

The "trail turn"? It's really just dragging one wheel and overpowering the others.

More like "what tech do I lose by having the automatic transmission?"
  • Crawl gear and it's infinite torque (traction limited)
  • nearly 30% better fuel economy
  • More reliable turbo
  • better gearing down low (you aren't going to the drag strip are you?)
  • better tuning and driving enjoyment (auto trans tuning is suspect at best)

Thomman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Cooper S, 2012 Skoda Yeti, 2018 Tiger 800
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just got back from the Austin off-rodeo and I got to drive a manual 4 door Bronco. I was very impressed with the way it drove and handled going over rocks and up/down hills. Once it got rolling, I never touched the clutch again. It drove like an automatic on the trail. Crawl and 1st gear have lots of torque and was easy to drive on the trail. Didn’t kill it or come close to killing it at all. No regrets ordering the manual
Great to hear. My build is a Badlands 7MT, still awaiting a build date (Day 2 reservation), and signed up for the Off-roadeo in mid-August.

There was a previous post on how easy the manual was to drive, with little clutch feathering required and no stalling - great to hear you confirm that.

Did you have to ask/reserve a manual for the drive or were there no takers for it? Asking coz I want to make sure I get to drive a manual when I'm there...

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what tech do you lose, aside from the technical data sheets for how to replace both turbos at 65,000 miles juuuuuuuuuuuust out of warranty?

The "trail turn"? It's really just dragging one wheel and overpowering the others.

• More reliable turbo
Those MPG figures are a lot different than the BN published numbers. Who's right?

They have at least one factual error:
"But the Badlands doesn't get the Sasquatch's gearing upgrade. You'll be stuck with 4.46 axle gears in a stick-shift Badlands,"

Ford Bronco Thoughts on the manual transmission 1620750232409

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
7MT for the win. Like people have said in other threads, this may be the last manual I get in a new vehicle so no way I was passing it up. Glad to hear others share the same passion for a little bit of analog in a very digital world.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ABerrio

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great to hear. My build is a Badlands 7MT, still awaiting a build date (Day 2 reservation), and signed up for the Off-roadeo in mid-August.

There was a previous post on how easy the manual was to drive, with little clutch feathering required and no stalling - great to hear you confirm that.

Did you have to ask/reserve a manual for the drive or were there no takers for it? Asking coz I want to make sure I get to drive a manual when I'm there...
My guide asked if anyone ordered the MT and who wanted to drive it. The group of Broncos we drove only only had one MT. It was at the front of the line so I got lead and ride with the guide most of the way. I was the only one who ordered a manual so I got to drive it. What you get drive is very non-formal. Just pick a Bronco and follow the leader.

JBowles

Badlands
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The EPA shows very little differnce between Badlands drivetrains
Ford Bronco Thoughts on the manual transmission 1625188315501

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• More reliable turbo
I guess the real questions are:

Is it gonna give me up?
Is it gonna let me down?
Is it gonna run around and desert me?
Is is gonna make me cry?
Is it gonna say goodbye?
Is it gonna tell a lie and hurt me?

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WL74 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great to hear, and a timely post, as I switched to the 7MT earlier today after months ago having ordered my Badlands with the 2.7. Can’t wait!

Last edited:

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great to hear, and a timely post, as I switched to a manual earlier today after sitting in the fence with my 2.7 order for months. Can’t wait!
Man, nothing like waiting until the last minute to switch! Was the process easy with your dealer?
Sponsored