Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm ecstatic...Ford did what we asked with the wiring. I was just getting the MIC to get the wiring in prep for a white or body coored top...and then decided to bite the bullet and get the soft top and do without a defroster to get it more quickly. Now I get the best of both worlds. Ford did what a lot of people asked them to do.
Yes. But I took this advice after their May email and switched to soft top and now I don’t get the prep kit.
Sponsored

tasman

Wildtrak
First Name
Tal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
wish I could get wildtrak with soft top. If so I would switch today. Oh well first world problems

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Now I'm curious to know if today's email is the one that Ross speculated (in another thread) would be going out next Friday, or if there is another bad news email coming out next week. Just trying to prepare myself...
This was the bomb, no need to fear more bad news next week.

MrsWestCoast

Wildtrak
First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I need clarification. It says that those with September builds will get the kit for free and we have until July 16 to make the change. Since I haven't gotten my email, there's still a possibility that I can get a build date with a hardtop before Sept. Of course its not a guarantee but if I make the change then I loose out on the possibility of actually getting the hard top.
Ford Bronco Thoughts on the modular top roof delay? 20210625_133558

Sponsored

RLIRL

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Octane ZSR
Your Bronco Model
Base
EDIT

for those who dont know there are 2 types of hard tops that ford is , so far , going to add for the bronco. The MIC top , and the mod top. the only hard top that is delayed to model year 23 is the MODULAR hard top which is much different from the hard top we see in videos/reviews (mic or molded in color). The MIC top is simply grey plastic. The mod top has removable windows/hatch/and paint options. We have only seen prototypes of the modular top so far.

So people are scratching their heads about the email but i think I understand what ford is doing.

So webasto screwed them over big time and its too late to fix everything in time to make everyone happy. So they are telling 4 door owners "hey we screwed up if you want your bronco faster get the soft top with(free) prep kit"

Meanwhile they are likely shifting hard top production to the 2 door which does not have a soft top option (which also has a smaller order quantity compared to 4 doors) so they can knock those orders all out and move production to full steam with the 4 door

The mod top thing was sort of expected. As they cant even get normal roofs out. But a year of customer feedback is a long time and will make the product better.
Am I missing something? How do you arrive at the conclusion that they are switching production to 2 doors?

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am I missing something? How do you arrive at the conclusion that they are switching production to 2 doors?
its simply a guess.

but if you think of it from a production perspective

most of the orders are 4 doors , but people still ordered 2 doors and have no option to order a soft top since they dont exist

from a corporate standpoint it would make sense for ford to ramp up production of 2 doors to get them out of the way , and have 4 door owners try to switch to the prep kit

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Output at Webasto is normalizing but not at a rate that will keep up with current demand.

There are, um, other things in the works now to remedy the problem.

They're slower, uglier processes, but the supplier hasn't really left them a choice.
hate to to be the Program Manager that procured and finalized that contract

BL2.7SAS4DR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I need clarification. It says that those with September builds will get the kit for free and we have until July 16 to make the change. Since I haven't gotten my email, there's still a possibility that I can get a build date with a hardtop before Sept. Of course its not a guarantee but if I make the change then I loose out on the possibility of actually getting the hard top.
Ford Bronco Thoughts on the modular top roof delay? 20210625_133558
I don't have a build date either. I'm going to wait until that July 16 deadline and decide.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
uglier processes
If ANYONE deserves "uglier processes" its those Webasto clowns.

But, ya'know, this shit storm has been 2+ years in the making - since they clear-cut trees sans permit. Should be plenty of introspection here as well.

Sponsored

Steelbama

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tacoma/2015 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
EDIT

for those who dont know there are 2 types of hard tops that ford is , so far , going to add for the bronco. The MIC top , and the mod top. the only hard top that is delayed to model year 23 is the MODULAR hard top which is much different from the hard top we see in videos/reviews (mic or molded in color). The MIC top is simply grey plastic. The mod top has removable windows/roof hatch/and paint options. We have only seen prototypes of the modular top so far.

So people are scratching their heads about the email but i think I understand what ford is doing.

So webasto screwed them over big time and its too late to fix everything in time to make everyone happy. So they are telling 4 door owners "hey we screwed up if you want your bronco faster get the soft top with(free) prep kit"

Meanwhile they are likely shifting hard top production to the 2 door which does not have a soft top option (which also has a smaller order quantity compared to 4 doors) so they can knock those orders all out and move production to full steam with the 4 door

The mod top thing was sort of expected. As they cant even get normal roofs out. But a year of customer feedback is a long time and will make the product better.
I get that Webasto screwed them but ultimately this is Fords fault. Whoever was on Fords contracting team should be fired. You don't build contracts like this without evidence that the supplier can produce the requirements.

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"Prep Kit" sounds like a bunch of wires and an instruction manual. If it's more difficult to install than the Fjordsven filing cabinet i bought at IKEA, then I'm out!

They should just build everything pre-wired at the factory and say as much. (They should also commit to selling us the MIC top at the price it is now in B&P vs having to pay the retail price for it from the parts dept.)

RLIRL

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Octane ZSR
Your Bronco Model
Base
its simply a guess.

most of the orders are 4 doors , but people still ordered 2 doors and have no option to order a soft top since they dont exist

from a corporate standpoint it would make sense for ford to ramp up production of 2 doors to get them out of the way , and have 4 door owners try to switch to the prep kit
Fair enough. I can see it from the standpoint that they did not give any option at all for 2 door reservation holders, which may indicate Ford doesn’t anticipate problems fulfilling those orders. Hope that’s the case

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Switched to soft-top…. {shakes head slowly}

Curious how cold it’ll be in the winter and how loud on the highway. That fold-down action will be pretty sweet though!

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

its simply a guess.

Man, I hope you’re on the money. I really do.
Sponsored