OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"Prep Kit" sounds like a bunch of wires and an instruction manual. If it's more difficult to install than the Fjordsven filing cabinet i bought at IKEA, then I'm out!

They should just build everything pre-wired at the factory and say as much. (They should also commit to selling us the MIC top at the price it is now in B&P vs having to pay the retail price for it from the parts dept.)
i think they are building them pre wired
Ford Bronco Thoughts on the modular top roof delay? 20210625_133558
Sponsored

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mod top now MY2023, crazy.

Apparently the 4drs with soft top will now come with all the hard top plumbing/wiring. Only 4dr, not the 2dr. I wonder why.

My original plan was to wait until 2024 before buying a Bronco, that might get pushed to '25 or '26 now.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Output at Webasto is normalizing but not at a rate that will keep up with current demand.

There are, um, other things in the works now to remedy the problem.

They're slower, uglier processes, but the supplier hasn't really left them a choice.
Thanks Ross, really appreciate your updates. Keep up the good work! (y)

OP
OP

beachman101

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Switched to soft-top…. {shakes head slowly}

Curious how cold it’ll be in the winter and how loud on the highway. That fold-down action will be pretty sweet though!
Mod top now MY2023, crazy.

Apparently the 4drs with soft top will now come with all the hard top plumbing/wiring. Only 4dr, not the 2dr. I wonder why.

My original plan was to wait until 2024 before buying a Bronco, that might get pushed to '25 or '26 now.
i think all 2 doors have the wiring

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Even though this didn’t go out to VIN holders, I’m reading between the lines that if you have a VIN with a MIC top, be prepared to be pushed out as you’re locked in.
Ford said from the get go you wouldn’t be scheduled until they have your parts on hand. Now can they go back on this, of course. In the auto industry “Subject to Change” is standard. With that said im confident your bronco won’t be pushed out.

Sponsored

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Multiple sources but a reasonable threat of legal issues for disclosing.

I'll share what I can, when I can.

In short the issue is stabilized but far from settled.

They are ordering from the Jeep parts department and modifying them for the Bronco.

bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
How many people are just going to wait for the Raptor now? I always knew I likely wouldn't get my BL until mid next year so I recently decided to just wait for the Raptor and now it's looking like my BL wouldn't even arrive until the Raptor is out.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
EDIT

for those who dont know there are 2 types of hard tops that ford is , so far , going to add for the bronco. The MIC top , and the mod top. the only hard top that is delayed to model year 23 is the MODULAR hard top which is much different from the hard top we see in videos/reviews (mic or molded in color). The MIC top is simply grey plastic. The mod top has removable windows/roof hatch/and paint options. We have only seen prototypes of the modular top so far.

So people are scratching their heads about the email but i think I understand what ford is doing.

So webasto screwed them over big time and its too late to fix everything in time to make everyone happy. So they are telling 4 door owners "hey we screwed up if you want your bronco faster get the soft top with(free) prep kit"

Meanwhile they are likely shifting hard top production to the 2 door which does not have a soft top option (which also has a smaller order quantity compared to 4 doors) so they can knock those orders all out and move production to full steam with the 4 door

The mod top thing was sort of expected. As they cant even get normal roofs out. But a year of customer feedback is a long time and will make the product better.
Sounds right.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They are ordering from the Jeep parts department and modifying them for the Bronco.
Why not? Jeep can build both standard and colored top without any issue, been doing it for years.

Sponsored

Mayflower2010

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Even though this didn’t go out to VIN holders, I’m reading between the lines that if you have a VIN with a MIC top, be prepared to be pushed out as you’re locked in.
I am a VIN holder with a 8/9 build week and I received the email today...not sure what that means...

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

if i could put money on it

they likely will not even produce the mod top with webasto which is why its delayed so long
If I were Ford, Webasto would be fired as soon as a second source got up to speed. And there is no way Webasto would get the Mod Top contract. Seems to be what they are doing.

CDN Jen

Badlands
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So without actually saying it out loud, it sounds like Ford is looking at getting an additional roof supplier.
I'm guessing they're trying to amend the contract with Webasto to allow Bestop to produce 2DR soft tops.

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I need clarification. It says that those with September builds will get the kit for free and we have until July 16 to make the change. Since I haven't gotten my email, there's still a possibility that I can get a build date with a hardtop before Sept. Of course its not a guarantee but if I make the change then I loose out on the possibility of actually getting the hard top.
20210625_133558.jpg
Don’t quote me here, but all of the august scheduling should be done before that July 16 deadline. So you will know if you get scheduled with a MIC top by then. If you don’t get a scheduled email by July 16 then you can switch to the soft top w/ prep pack with no fear of missing out. If that makes sense.

Delli555

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm ecstatic...Ford did what we asked with the wiring. I was just getting the MIC to get the wiring in prep for a white or body coored top...and then decided to bite the bullet and get the soft top and do without a defroster to get it more quickly. Now I get the best of both worlds. Ford did what a lot of people asked them to do.
You shouldn't be ecstatic. The way I read it, if you go with the prep kit, yes, you will get your Bronco faster. Bad news is, you won't be eligible to buy a hardtop until 2023. So, unless you are ok with going a solid 1-2 years with ONLY a soft top, you should be more disappointed than pleased at the situation.
Sponsored