Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Given the disaster of Ford’s reservation system in the Bronco rollout ( does not seem the Mach-e rollout had the same issues, could be wrong though )….I can’t help but wonder if the F150 Lightning rollout will be a similar flameout:
1. Rumored of more than 150000 reservations for allegedly 15000 production units.
2. Why would ford over sell to the extent that they have? and allow overselling by a factor of 10 what their production can support? I get there are going to be abandoned orders (10% max?) and those that never convert their res to an order … but heck, set the expectation that you can only produce so much in a model year. I would hazard to guess that there is some skepticism internally at Ford that some othese risks they are taking with these new models will sell.

I also can’t help but wonder what Ford can do to improve this system:
1. Require a higher payment on a reservation to weed out non committed buyers and duplicate orders? ( Mach-e requires a $500 for a res, a bit higher than $100-as an example).
2. Limit the amount of reservations per model year? Seriously, who is going to wait 2-3 years for a vehicle? Hardcore hobbyists maybe, but I don’t think most of the public thinks 3-5 years out in terms of their vehicles, especially when the vehicle they have is functional.

Trying not to make this thread as a bitch session, and it’s clear Ford should get a little credit for trying something new ( but still deserves criticism where it’s warranted)….

So, aside from building reservations first, what should Ford learn from this and improve?
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Does Tesla restrict the number of reservations?

I think Ford needs to take the model year off the reservation system: i.e., you are reserving to be in line for a Bronco when your turn comes. Cut the reservations off when you get to end of production for that model, maybe with an extended standby waitlist. Just don’t create false expectations.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The very first thing Ford should do is dump the allocation system PERIOD! The distribution of vehicles should be spread by the distribution of orders. Ford needs to STOP favoring dealers at the expense of the customer.

The second thing Ford should do is lobby for the laws to be changed so that they can sell direct (in certain cases). Don't get me wrong, dealerships serve a purpose, but there is ABSOLUTLEY no reason why they should have anything to do with a custom order from Ford.

Last edited:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
what should Ford learn from this and improve
My sense is that Ford's goal with Bronco reservation system was to create marketing bragging rights rather than a system for the scheduling and dissemination of vehicles.

Their 'timestamp' concept created dealer conflicts that could have been foreseen - even by girl scouts running a lemonade stand.

If you're going to take custom 'orders', you gotta have the components on hand to deliver. Again, basic business issues that even neighborhood restaurants have figured out.

Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My take on the reservation system is, if it takes years to deliver on a reservation, I guess I am too old to participate.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I haven't looked at a new "Lightning" forum, if there is one. But, I expect if it hasn't already this will sink in soon. And, they won't be very happy either.

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is not much more I can say or convey about how this has, is, and may go down. I was prepared to be deep into MY22; not 23/24/25.

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

and it’s clear Ford should get a little credit for trying something new
You don't get credit for trying someone new unless you see it through.

Saying "hey let's try this new thing" and then when it comes time to actually do it you just plain dont? that's not trying, that's pretending. No credit for pretending.

Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only thing that is really unacceptable is not giving the quarter build estimates. It's now clear they did not want to come clean about how many people would really get a 22 or 23.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Limit the reservations per model year. The first night of the reveal might have been all they could build for 2021. The next day they might be into the 2022 model year, etc.

Also- if Ford is concerned with dealer allocations, then limit the reservations per dealer. You might have to search nationwide to find a dealer that has open reservations.

This way, at least you would know where you stand and when you could possibly get your Bronco.

I have only ordered (3) vehicles in my life time. A 1982 Ford F150 regular short bed blacked out XLS 4 X 4, 4 speed (wow that truck would be worth something today, LOL), a 1979 Jeep CJ5- base with a V8, and manual 3 speed and a 2021 Bronco. The first 2 vehicles I got within 6 months- not bad. The 2021 Bronco I did not get obviously.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Given the disaster of Ford’s reservation system in the Bronco rollout ( does not seem the Mach-e rollout had the same issues, could be wrong though )….I can’t help but wonder if the F150 Lightning rollout will be a similar flameout:
1. Rumored of more than 150000 reservations for allegedly 15000 production units.
2. Why would ford over sell to the extent that they have? and allow overselling by a factor of 10 what their production can support? I get there are going to be abandoned orders (10% max?) and those that never convert their res to an order … but heck, set the expectation that you can only produce so much in a model year. I would hazard to guess that there is some skepticism internally at Ford that some othese risks they are taking with these new models will sell.

I also can’t help but wonder what Ford can do to improve this system:
1. Require a higher payment on a reservation to weed out non committed buyers and duplicate orders? ( Mach-e requires a $500 for a res, a bit higher than $100-as an example).
2. Limit the amount of reservations per model year? Seriously, who is going to wait 2-3 years for a vehicle? Hardcore hobbyists maybe, but I don’t think most of the public thinks 3-5 years out in terms of their vehicles, especially when the vehicle they have is functional.

Trying not to make this thread as a bitch session, and it’s clear Ford should get a little credit for trying something new ( but still deserves criticism where it’s warranted)….

So, aside from building reservations first, what should Ford learn from this and improve?
The 15,000 units is a complete rumor. A really high up Ford rep did an interview with a group of EV vloggers and totally shot this number down. He was very candid and came across as genuine. If I can find the video, I'll edit this post so you can watch it. (It's lengthy, but worth the time)

edit: Youtube Video Darren Palmer Ford
He discusses this around the 4:50 mark.

Last edited:

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I believe the 15k rumor has been discredited by the road show staff. But the number won't be high in 2022, Ford will struggle with battery production for a bit as SK gets up and running

but yes the vast majority of reservation holders won't see a Lightning in 2022 and maybe even 2023. I have my Lightning reservation through Tom @ Chapman and I have a pretty low reservation number so I'm cautiously optimistic I'm towards the front of the line and get one in 2022
Sponsored