Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm concerned that they would pull the manual transmission for 2022 due to the Mustang lawsuit or us diehards on this forum wind up being the only people who buy manual Broncos. I don't think it'll ever get better for someone who wants a manual transmission. No 2.7 manual is ever happening and it won't happen with any possible more powerful engine in the future (GT500...). If we don't get Man-Squatch this year, then it won't happen. I would bet the redesign gets rid of it if not, then the refresh in 4-5 years.

If you have any thoughts about ever getting a manual, get it ASAP!
Sponsored

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It might be the first year build of the bronco in 2021, but it's not the first year they are using the 2.3 engine or the 10 speed atx. I would suspect itll be relatively reliable given the powertrain isnt new.

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It might be the first year build of the bronco in 2021, but it's not the first year they are using the 2.3 engine or the 10 speed atx. I would suspect itll be relatively reliable given the powertrain isnt new.
I'll add the frame isnt new either....they've been using it on the ranger supposedly.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll be waiting for the 2022 for a few reason that I have....

- I just don't see a color that Grabs Me.(this may change when I see them in the wild)

- I will not get the 2.3L without it not also having the Direct & Port Injection like the 2.7L

- I want a MT, but with the previous reason (2.3L) and that the MT isn't available with the 2.7L, I can only hope that FoMoCo will remedy at least one of these issue for 2022.

Time will tell and I don't need Any of you saying that the MT with the 2.7L is never going to happen.
I know what the chances are.
Now the addition of Port Injection is easily possible.
So don't go crushing my hopes.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They both have their pros and cons.
I bought a 1st gen car as my first vehicle purchase, a scion fr-s, and there were a couple hiccups here and there, cpu had to be replaced, then the dreaded valvespring issue, but all were replaced under warranty.
There's going to be a few growing pains when the Bronco debuts, small things that they didn't see during testing, or manufacturing errors (i.e the focus RS getting incorrect parts, etc)

All in all it comes down to whether you want it now or later.
The 1st gen holds the status of 1st on the street, bragging rights in the community in that regard, but you have to possibly deal with 1st gen gremlins, and no doubt year 2, 3, 4, 5 will definitely have improvements and options added.
You also might lose paint selections, as those normally get updated yearly with a few colors replaced.

All in all, I'm in a similar boat. I don't NEED a bronco or new vehicle at the moment. I COULD save more if I waited til 22 model or later.
I'm just not sure if I could wait that long though, especially if I see some on the street thinking damn, that could've been me.

Maybe as we get closer to actually ordering, we'll be able to see the differences in 22.

I'm curious, if production ends up being pushed back on the 21, will people still waiting who reserved/placed orders be automatically upgraded to the 22 model? How does that work?

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll be waiting for the 2022 for a few reason that I have....

- I just don't see a color that Grabs Me.(this may change when I see them in the wild)

- I will not get the 2.3L without it not also having the Direct & Port Injection like the 2.7L

- I want a MT, but with the previous reason (2.3L) and that the MT isn't available with the 2.7L, I can only hope that FoMoCo will remedy at least one of these issue for 2022.

Time will tell and I don't need Any of you saying that the MT with the 2.7L is never going to happen.
I know what the chances are.
Now the addition of Port Injection is easily possible.
So don't go crushing my hopes.
How big of a deal is the port injection thing? I read the 2.3L can have some issues with carbon buildup, due to the lack of the port injection. How legit of a concern is that, especially for someone like me who tends to hang onto vehicles a long time like grim death?

OrangecrushAZ

Badlands
First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Raptor, ā€˜17 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went back and forth on waiting for the 2nd year, or even on the inevitable upgrades Ford will introduce to keep sales numbers up. Ultimately, I decided to get one now and will have a warranty for any ā€œbugs,ā€ and then potentially upgrade if a future model were that appealing that I have to have it.

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
How big of a deal is the port injection thing? I read the 2.3L can have some issues with carbon buildup, due to the lack of the port injection. How legit of a concern is that, especially for someone like me who tends to hang onto vehicles a long time like grim death?
Make sure to use a good cleaner (like Seafoam) every oil change and you should be good. If you tackle the carbon build up problem late itā€™s usually to late.
Itsā€™s easier to stay on top of it and prevent it then trying to tackle after itā€™s built up.

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have ordered new models of motorcycles very often and also the new (at the time) 2017 Porsche 911 with the 3 liter flat 6 twin turbo. I have never had any major problems. There are always small issues and the occasional recall but nothing else. The engine on the Bronco is nothing new. Ford has a lot riding on the Bronco too and it seems they are out doing a ton of testing, so I do not expect major issues with a first year model. Hope those are not famous last words:)

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm concerned that they would pull the manual transmission for 2022 due to the Mustang lawsuit or us diehards on this forum wind up being the only people who buy manual Broncos.
I believe they primarily put the manual in for credibility purposes. To be successful against the Wrangler they had to have the right image out of the gate. Manuals will eventually leave this segment (as they are leaving all segments) but I donā€™t look for that to be too soon. There is little to no financial return on manuals for manufacturers because they sell too few, but Ford has already spent the engineering and compliance testing dollars for this generation Bronco. Who would have thought 20 or 30 years ago you wouldnā€™t be able to buy manual transmissions in exotic cars or Corvettes? I still canā€™t believe it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Haulin455

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those hoping to get a manual and on the fence about getting the first model year, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d wait personally. Iā€™ve seen on more than one occasion manufacturers remove manual transmission options after the first or second year if they donā€™t sell well.

Considering how limited Ford made the manual for the 2021 MY (no 2.7EB or Sasquatch) I wouldnā€™t be surprised if it doesnā€™t live up to Fordā€™s sales expectations.

Hopefully Ford expands the options for the manual transmission in the following years and doesnā€™t scrap it all together.

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I own a 2012 GTI, the first model year was 2010. Here are the known issues:

• Timing Chain Tensioner. The timing chain tensioner fails resulting in the chain jumping teeth and causing engine damage. ...
  • Carbon Buildup on Valves. This is a common issue with direct injection engines. ...
  • Intake Manifold. ...
  • Ignition Coils. ...
  • Coolant Temperature Sensor. ...
  • Wastegate Rattle. ...
  • High Pressure Fuel Pump. ...
  • PCV Valve.

Let's just say I've suffered from a few of these issues and have had to work on this engine out of the warranty of course. Just saying, you could wait two years and still run into year one issues as some of these issues ended up fixed by 2013...

Also if anyone wants to give up their 2 door first edition spot, I would like to take it if that's possible :D

Last edited:

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe they primarily put the manual in for credibility purposes. To be successful against the Wrangler they had to have the right image out of the gate. Manuals will eventually leave this segment (as they are leaving all segments) but I donā€™t look for that to be too soon. There is little to no financial return on manuals for manufacturers because they sell too few, but Ford has already spent the engineering and compliance testing dollars for this generation Bronco. Who would have thought 20 or 30 years ago you wouldnā€™t be able to buy manual transmissions in exotic cars or Corvettes? I still canā€™t believe it.
Yup. My guess is either in 4-5 years for the refresh or much more likely in the redesign 8-9 years out.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yup. My guess is either in 4-5 years for the refresh or much more likely in the redesign 8-9 years out.
I agree, very high chance this iteration will be the last with a manual. Honda just killed the manual in the Accord for next year. Honda has always been a bastion for manuals and they are clearly headed for the exits. Kudos to them for keeping one in the Accord as long as they did ā€” longer than Chevy did the Vette (if only just barely).

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They both have their pros and cons.
I bought a 1st gen car as my first vehicle purchase, a scion fr-s, and there were a couple hiccups here and there, cpu had to be replaced, then the dreaded valvespring issue, but all were replaced under warranty.
I got the first FR-S that was delivered to Richardson Toyota in May of 2012, number 738 off the manufacturing line. I had one tail light get water in it but no other first year issues. That thing ran great up until an old F-150 pulled out in front of me about 14 months ago. Insurance totaled it and I was unable to find a suitable replacement so I stashed the cash and have been waiting for the right vehicle ever since.

I have no hesitation on getting a 1st year model, but I will drive it before I buy it to make sure the little engine and manual transmission suit my tastes.
Sponsored