Sponsored

Thoughts on whether door bolts can be left off?

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, I haven't seen this discussed at all, and definitely not recently as people are getting their hands on Broncos. I haven't studied the actual door hinge hardware enough, but do you think the bolts that are removed in order to remove the doors are necessary to reinstall, particularly if you're going to take the doors off again soon?

I take the bolts off my Wrangler the first time I take the doors off each year, then just leave them off until fall when I'm pretty sure I'm not taking my doors off again. Never a concerns. But, I know the Bronco doors attach somewhat differently.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I haven't seen this discussed at all, and definitely not recently as people are getting their hands on Broncos. I haven't studied the actual door hinge hardware enough, but do you think the bolts that are removed in order to remove the doors are necessary to reinstall, particularly if you're going to take the doors off again soon?

I take the bolts off my Wrangler the first time I take the doors off each year, then just leave them off until fall when I'm pretty sure I'm not taking my doors off again. Never a concerns. But, I know the Bronco doors attach somewhat differently.

Thoughts?
A bolt goes in from the bottom of both hinges to hold the door on. If you take them off the off-roadeo guys said to just put them in the little tool kit that comes with the vehicle until ready to reinstall. If you are talking about leaving the bolts out after the doors are reinstalled, hell no.

Ford Bronco Thoughts on whether door bolts can be left off? 1624906691390

Last edited:

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would say 100% no. I took doors off this weekend and drove around and looking at the hinge I personally would not trust not putting bolts back on. They do fit in the tool kit in the zippered part so no reason to not install them when it takes a few seconds more.

OP
OP
TheWoo

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you are talking about leaving the bolts out after the doors are reinstalled, hell no.

Ford Bronco Thoughts on whether door bolts can be left off? 1624906691390
That's what I was asking - sorry for not being clear. It dos appear that the bottom hinge, particularly, needs the bolt to be secure.

Wrangler doors have decently long pins on the door side of the hings that slide down into the hinges on the body. The torx bolts just secure them, but I have no qualms leaving them off. The door isn't going anywhere without effort. Lots of Wrangler owners leave them out.

Doesn't look like I'd feel as secure about the Bronco doors...

OP
OP
TheWoo

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would say 100% no. I took doors off this weekend and drove around and looking at the hinge I personally would not trust not putting bolts back on. They do fit in the tool kit in the zippered part so no reason to not install them when it takes a few seconds more.
Gracias. Appreciate your thoughts.