Sponsored

Thoughts? Rubicon now and Bronco in 3 years, or wait a year?

KSpider

Badlands
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-Tron (mine), Audi E-tron (wife's)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have a great opportunity to get out of my wife's lease and getting $3K in equity on it, but we need to pull the trigger this week. Otherwise, in a year it will most likely be way under, she has 2.5 years left on the lease. (a jeep dealer offered us a very high price on it.) I want the new bronco, but I hate waiting. My thought was to lease a Rubicon Diesel and when that lease is up in 3 years, the Bronco will be about to hit its 3rd model year and perhaps have more features and engines (i.e. hybrid and/or Raptor) and perhaps some kinks worked out. I go back and forth every 10 minutes on what to do. I know I would be jealous whenever I see the broncos hitting the streets.

I am not a Ford guy, Im not a Jeep guy... the wife just wants a car that can go topless that is more practical than a small convertible sports car. I grew up off-roading in Utah and Colorado and would love to take the kids on some overlanding/offroading trips. I know both cars are more than capable for everything we need.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mke_80

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We have a great opportunity to get out of my wife's lease and getting $3K in equity on it, but we need to pull the trigger this week. Otherwise, in a year it will most likely be way under, she has 2.5 years left on the lease. (a jeep dealer offered us a very high price on it.) I want the new bronco, but I hate waiting. My thought was to lease a Rubicon Diesel and when that lease is up in 3 years, the Bronco will be about to hit its 3rd model year and perhaps have more features and engines (i.e. hybrid and/or Raptor) and perhaps some kinks worked out. I go back and forth every 10 minutes on what to do. I know I would be jealous whenever I see the broncos hitting the streets.

I am not a Ford guy, Im not a Jeep guy... the wife just wants a car that can go topless that is more practical than a small convertible sports car. I grew up off-roading in Utah and Colorado and would love to take the kids on some overlanding/offroading trips. I know both cars are more than capable for everything we need.

If you do not have a reservation yet for a Bronco I would say it's a good plan since we already know that the 150k + reservation production will extend to 2022. Jeep dealer will be aggressive on the price (they want to get as much as they can before the bronco hit the dealerships) Also since you are moving from audi to Jeep there will be an adaptation. You will need to decide if these type of truck are for you or not. Have you consider placing a reservation for Bronco and leasing for 2 years? I am convinced that someone making a reservation now will not get the car in 2021. So might be a good plan.

Also many think that the bronco will be so much better than the wrangler but really they are the same type of truck, If you want to know if you like it a lease might not be a bad idea.
I know many will read this and say << not the same at all>> front suspension and motor are not the same. but I am pretty sure the road noise, the open air, and general size of the truck will be comparable, as for the finish and luxury they both well under audi so... you need to think about this also .

Hope it helps!

OP
OP
KSpider

KSpider

Badlands
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you do not have a reservation yet for a Bronco I would say it's a good plan since we already know that the 150k + reservation production will extend to 2022. Jeep dealer will be aggressive on the price (they want to get as much as they can before the bronco hit the dealerships) Also since you are moving from audi to Jeep there will be an adaptation. You will need to decide if these type of truck are for you or not. Have you consider placing a reservation for Bronco and leasing for 2 years? I am convinced that someone making a reservation now will not get the car in 2021. So might be a good plan.

Also many think that the bronco will be so much better than the wrangler but really they are the same type of truck, If you want to know if you like it a lease might not be a bad idea.
I know many will read this and say << not the same at all>> front suspension and motor are not the same. but I am pretty sure the road noise, the open air, and general size of the truck will be comparable, as for the finish and luxury they both well under audi so... you need to think about this also .

Hope it helps!

My first car was a new 97 Defender (keep in mind it was only 40K new) so I am very familiar with the sort of drive that will come with a bronco / wrangler. My wife has always wanted one too, it would be her DD and our beach car. a 2 year lease for a wrangler is pricey so 3 year would probably be the go to. Its hard to pass up what this dealer is offering for her car.

I did put a reservation down on a bronco on July 16 so I shouldn't be too far back in the queue. It will still be a year minimum, I assume. I like the diesel in the wrangler and wouldn't mind waiting on the bronco a couple years for more engine options (we really like electric so a plugin hybrid would be great, we already have multiple chargers in the garage.)

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are a Jeep guy then it makes sense to stick with a Jeep.

If you don't have a reservation nor a love for Bronco, waiting it out would be your best bet. I definitely would not put in a reservation, now. By the time your Jeep rental is up - dealerships will have Broncos on the lot and you can test-drive them and see if you want to switch companies or stick with your Jeep passion.

EDIT: Seeing you already have a reservation but can't wait - I would amend my suggestion to cancel your reservation and enjoy your Jeep. And once you see the Bronco driving around and can test drive one at a dealership you can plan to switch vehicles or continue with your Jeep.

My F150 is paid off (has been for 4+ years), so waiting doesn't matter to me. It just saves me more money - and I am a Bronco or bust kinda guy.

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Going Rubicon now ...hmmmmm.

• Don't have to wait a year. Maybe longer with any delays, etc. (thanks Covid!)
  • Don't have to worry about those limiting first year issues (auto/manual, interior colors, etc)
  • Great Rubicon resale so lease should't be too bad (although maybe not as great with a big competitor coming)
  • Life can throw you curveballs between now and Bronco time
  • Start making those memories now
  • It's topless, it's fun, and you can customize the crap out of it now.

While I may have thoughts of getting impatient and going this route or another, there is just something special about the Bronco. Its new, its exciting, its well thought out, and this great community of people here are going to make the wait easier.

Can't say I would blame anyone for going the Rubicon route though.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Sponsored
OP
OP
KSpider

KSpider

Badlands
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Going Rubicon now ...hmmmmm.

• Don't have to wait a year. Maybe longer with any delays, etc. (thanks Covid!)
  • Don't have to worry about those limiting first year issues (auto/manual, interior colors, etc)
  • Great Rubicon resale so lease should't be too bad (although maybe not as great with a big competitor coming)
  • Life can throw you curveballs between now and Bronco time
  • Start making those memories now
  • It's topless, it's fun, and you can customize the crap out of it now.

While I may have thoughts of getting impatient and going this route or another, there is just something special about the Bronco. Its new, its exciting, its well thought out, and this great community of people here are going to make the wait easier.

Can't say I would blame anyone for going the Rubicon route though.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

You listed so many of the reasons I want to get Rubicon now and Bronco later (or maybe I just end up loving the jeep/diesel?). There are 100% features of the new bronco I should like to have that the Jeep does not, but I can't buy one right now.

Mke_80

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My first car was a new 97 Defender (keep in mind it was only 40K new) so I am very familiar with the sort of drive that will come with a bronco / wrangler. My wife has always wanted one too, it would be her DD and our beach car. a 2 year lease for a wrangler is pricey so 3 year would probably be the go to. Its hard to pass up what this dealer is offering for her car.

I did put a reservation down on a bronco on July 16 so I shouldn't be too far back in the queue. It will still be a year minimum, I assume. I like the diesel in the wrangler and wouldn't mind waiting on the bronco a couple years for more engine options (we really like electric so a plugin hybrid would be great, we already have multiple chargers in the garage.)

I must say , a diesel Rubicon wrangler for the price of a ecoboost bronco cheaper finance and immediate availability is something to think about if you have no preference Jeep/Ford.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Might be important to remember that in 3 years, it will cost a lot more. And the current top model is over 60k. If you don't really have any affection for the Bronco, dump the lease and get the Jeep.

Oh and if the Bronco top-line goes anything like the F-series, it will skyrocket in price tag.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would wait. I think your wife will be happier. I was in the same boat and got her to wait until the bronco came out. She fell in love and I have kept her in bronco videos so she wouldn’t stray. I like jeeps a lot. It’s just not a great all around rig in my opinion. I like the idea of the diesel and that would be the route I would go if we got one. We might extend her lease On her Subaru or buy it out right when it’s done while waiting for the bronco. Probably trade it in on the bronco when that finally shows up. She had a 2013 jk and liked it but would rather have the ride quality of the 4 runner (I made her test drive both).The bronco is really the best of both worlds, at least on paper.

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I own a Rubicon, it's a fantastic vehicle. Probably buy another if Bronco didn't come back out. I always wanted a first gen Bronco, but also had a Wrangler yesrs ago and wanted a new JLU when they came out.
Tough decision you have, I suggest taking a Rubicon for a test drive. If you and your wife love it buy it. If your not loving it wait for the Bronco. Like you said, you can always buy a Bronco in a few years when your lesse is up.
For the record, I'll be keeping my Rubicon as a second vehicle when my Bronco comes in. It's been a great vehicle and would be hard to get rid off. Plus I have a few teenage drivers that enjoy driving it.
SDC10042.JPG

Sponsored

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I own a Rubicon, it's a fantastic vehicle. Probably buy another if Bronco didn't come back out. I always wanted a first gen Bronco, but also had a Wrangler yesrs ago and wanted a new JLU when they came out.
Tough decision you have, I suggest taking a Rubicon for a test drive. If you and your wife love it buy it. If your not loving it wait for the Bronco. Like you said, you can always buy a Bronco in a few years when your lesse is up.
For the record, I'll be keeping my Rubicon as a second vehicle when my Bronco comes in. It's been a great vehicle and would be hard to get rid off. Plus I have a few teenage drivers that enjoy driving it.
SDC10042.JPG
Same exact situation at our house. We are keeping our rubicon as well in addition to the Bronco.

KJR50

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not telling U.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’ll throw a curve ball in here. The next Gen Toyota 4Runner redesign is coming out late 21/22, that will be interesting for sure. You’ll have at least 4 to think about in a very competitive field (wrangler/bronco/4Runner/defender)...

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only downside I can think of is the depretiation of Jeeps in a few years. I think there will be more Jeeps than usually on the used market than usual. Which I would think could hurt the depreciation value. It's a touch callI. I'd say buy used unless you can find a good deal on the new one. That way if you hate it; then go ahead and trade it for a Bronco. And you can also wait for a year so you'll be able to test drive one a see if you even like it. And by then people's reviews should start coming in and you can base your decision at that time.
Sponsored