Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

• Banned
I’m pretty sure the answer is “no,” but is it possible to use only the two front panels of the 2-door hard top, without the back section? I know you can do the back without the front, as there are many photos, but what about the reverse (top off except shade for front seats)?

It appears you have to have the front lip of the rear section to support the front panels, but hoping there’s a way.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope, sadly - Front panels latch to the rear section...from the B&P 360 view above the driver's seat -

Ford Bronco Three-piece top question Roof Panels.JPG

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Bimini top.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Three-piece top question 1616558030305

don’t know if these are just sitting there or not... but they have side latches on the front two panels, so I think it would still be secure. There are also pics with just the front panels on a two door out there somewhere.

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The write-up from Car & Driver when they did the door/top comparison against the Wrangler noted that Ford stated that you cannot run it down the highway in a "pickup truck" configuration like you described.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g35589842/door-roof-removal-bronco-wrangler/

"Both Bronco and Wrangler use similar rotating latches that fix the roof to the body. Both systems are easy and neither has an obvious advantage over the other. Ford did tell us that the driver's-side roof panel must be removed first, which is pretty negligible, as both panels eventually need to be removed anyway. There are three rotating latches on each Bronco panel, with a larger latch on the front outer edges. For two-door models, there are three roof pieces total; there are [four] on the larger four-door. Ford says you can drive the two-door model with the front roof panels off and the rear top still attached, but you can't drive it pickup truck style with the front panels on and the rear roof off. The Wrangler requires removal of the entire rear shell, as the roof covering second-row passengers isn't individual panels, unlike the Bronco."

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The write-up from Car & Driver when they did the door/top comparison against the Wrangler noted that Ford stated that you cannot run it down the highway in a "pickup truck" configuration like you described.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g35589842/door-roof-removal-bronco-wrangler/

"Both Bronco and Wrangler use similar rotating latches that fix the roof to the body. Both systems are easy and neither has an obvious advantage over the other. Ford did tell us that the driver's-side roof panel must be removed first, which is pretty negligible, as both panels eventually need to be removed anyway. There are three rotating latches on each Bronco panel, with a larger latch on the front outer edges. For two-door models, there are three roof pieces total; there are [four] on the larger four-door. Ford says you can drive the two-door model with the front roof panels off and the rear top still attached, but you can't drive it pickup truck style with the front panels on and the rear roof off. The Wrangler requires removal of the entire rear shell, as the roof covering second-row passengers isn't individual panels, unlike the Bronco."
I stand corrected... maybe worth lookin into making a piece that will latch the back of the front ones when the rear is removed

Adumb

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Area 51 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I stand corrected... maybe worth lookin into making a piece that will latch the back of the front ones when the rear is removed
Yeah wouldn't that be a cool accessory? Truckify your Bronco. A window slider that attaches just behind the 2 front panels. Take everything else off. Yank out or put down the second row. Gladiator killer.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

"There are three rotating latches on each Bronco panel, with a larger latch on the front outer edges."

You should be able to at reasonable speed, it would still be latched at the windshield header but wouldn't be latched to anything once the clamshell is removed. I wouldn't go high speed driving with it that way though, not sure how the unattached rear portion would be affected, might be lift. Maybe the aftermarket might provide a solution but if you have the back off already you've done most of the work and I'd probably just opt for a bimini top as stated above.

Sponsored

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve never thought about that but what a great idea. Like a targa top, then if wind deflectors behind the front seats and tonneau covers become available like on wranglers thatd be a sick half cab option

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m hoping the aftermarket will come up with something for the latches to attach, when the rear piece is removed

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking just a clamp on bar for the rear latches to grab onto. Should be a pretty easy one to make, if I could just get the damn thing here to measure off of... lol

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wanted to do the same thing but after looking into it I decided to use a Bimini top instead.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was thinking just a clamp on bar for the rear latches to grab onto. Should be a pretty easy one to make, if I could just get the damn thing here to measure off of... lol
I was thinking of this but then it removed one of the major selling points to me over the Jeep, no bars over my head.
Sponsored