Sponsored

Three Questions: Heat gauge, warm up time, rev matching.

Phil James

Base
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi all. My BaseSquatch manual 2.3 liter is coming, allegedly, and I'm hoping someone who actually has a manual 2.3 Bronco knows these things.
Is there an actual engine water temperature gauge somewhere? Or just an idiot light? Or even an idiot light ...
How quickly does the 2.3 engine warm up the cabin in the cold? The turbo should help, I guess?
... and if there is rev matching on the manual, may I defeat it?
Please tell me what you know or have heard.
Thank you
Phil
Sponsored

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all. My BaseSquatch manual 2.3 liter is coming, allegedly, and I'm hoping someone who actually has a manual 2.3 Bronco knows these things.
Is there an actual engine water temperature gauge somewhere? Or just an idiot light? Or even an idiot light ...
How quickly does the 2.3 engine warm up the cabin in the cold? The turbo should help, I guess?
Thank you
Phil
1) No water temp, only the idiot bar. There is an actual oil temp read out under additional gauges.
2) I don't live anywhere really cold, so hard for me to gauge. Water temp warms decently fast since it's pretty small and having a thermostat helps get that heat up. Oil temp takes a while to reach the upper temps of normal operating (190* ish).
3)No rev matching as standard, so there is nothing to defeat. Rev matching is added through the ford performance tune and you can turn it on and off.

OP
OP
Phil James

Phil James

Base
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1) No water temp, only the idiot bar. There is an actual oil temp read out under additional gauges.
2) I don't live anywhere really cold, so hard for me to gauge. Water temp warms decently fast since it's pretty small and having a thermostat helps get that heat up. Oil temp takes a while to reach the upper temps of normal operating (190* ish).
3)No rev matching as standard, so there is nothing to defeat. Rev matching is added through the ford performance tune and you can turn it on and off.
Thank you for the reply ... idiot bar is at least better than a simple idiot light, I think. :- )

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you
Phil
You can select to have a temperature reading and a few other gauges on the instrument cluster, but I don't know if that is water or oil temp.

The amount of time it takes to get heat seems similar to other cars I have had. In a couple miles I am getting heat though it seems to take 5 miles for engine to fully reach temperature.

Not aware of any rev matching, mine certainly doesn't.

The one manual trans feature enabled by default was anti-roll-back or whatever they call it that held brakes on for up to 2 seconds until starting to move forward. That can be disabled thru the menu.

OP
OP
Phil James

Phil James

Base
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can select to have a temperature reading and a few other gauges on the instrument cluster, but I don't know if that is water or oil temp.

The amount of time it takes to get heat seems similar to other cars I have had. In a couple miles I am getting heat though it seems to take 5 miles for engine to fully reach temperature.

Not aware of any rev matching, mine certainly doesn't.

The one manual trans feature enabled by default was anti-roll-back or whatever they call it that held brakes on for up to 2 seconds until starting to move forward. That can be disabled thru the menu.
Any temperature measurement is nice. Apparently it's oil, says BlueOvalBandit, but anything to keep an eye on is good.
Good to know about the rev matching. My Subaru's is irritating when I want to double clutch down.
Good to know about the roll back. I kinda like that, but I can see that it would need to turn off at times. Thank you. :- )

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Temp "gauge" is a bar graph looking thing on the lower left of the instrument cluster. No actual temp readout.

You have an oil temp as on of the optional side gauges. It's ok, but I normally put up either the MPG gauge or the Boost gauge instead.

I have been using the heater for the last week or so, seems to heat up within a half mile, or maybe a mile of driving. Way faster than my Mustang ever did with the V-8.

No rev matching that I have noticed. I turned off Hill Start assist before I left the dealership.

In general, the instrument cluster is a giant pile of burning poo. Mustang has a perfectly good instrument cluster. F-150 has an extraordinarily good one. Ford could have copied either onto the Bronco and made a major improvement.

Only other issue with the MT is the gears are really steep. I have been downshifting into 3rd to corner, whereas in my 'Stang I'd drop it to 2nd.

OP
OP
Phil James

Phil James

Base
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Temp "gauge" is a bar graph looking thing on the lower left of the instrument cluster. No actual temp readout.

You have an oil temp as on of the optional side gauges. It's ok, but I normally put up either the MPG gauge or the Boost gauge instead.

I have been using the heater for the last week or so, seems to heat up within a half mile, or maybe a mile of driving. Way faster than my Mustang ever did with the V-8.

No rev matching that I have noticed. I turned off Hill Start assist before I left the dealership.

In general, the instrument cluster is a giant pile of burning poo. Mustang has a perfectly good instrument cluster. F-150 has an extraordinarily good one. Ford could have copied either onto the Bronco and made a major improvement.

Only other issue with the MT is the gears are really steep. I have been downshifting into 3rd to corner, whereas in my 'Stang I'd drop it to 2nd.
I'll enjoy playing with the poo gauge choices.
Good to know about the heat. Denver isn't Michigan or Ontario but it does get cold.
... and every transmission is different. Hoping the clutch throw is decent, but I'll adjust.
Nice to know there are manuals out there. :- )

Kygolfer

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My wife’s 2018 Wrangler heats up way faster and puts out more heat than my Bronco.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hoping the clutch throw is decent, but I'll adjust.
Nice to know there are manuals out there. :- )
The clutch feels (to me) exactly like the clutch on a newer 6-speed Mustang. Same with the shifter. More than acceptable, not as clean and tight as a TREMEC.

Which shouldn't surprise anyone, since it's basically the same transmission with an extra gear.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My wife’s 2018 Wrangler heats up way faster and puts out more heat than my Bronco.
Seriously? The cabin gets HOT. Rarely run it at full blast even in the dead of winter.

I’ve been sitting on the parts to install a block heater. My commute is so short - I figured it would be easier on the entire system and it would help my gas mileage. I average 18-19 most of the year. Once the temp drops - I’m more like 15-16.

Sponsored

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've thought about a block heater as well, same situation, I've been warming it up. It'd be sweet to put it on a timer for a few hours before waking up.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've thought about a block heater as well, same situation, I've been warming it up. It'd be sweet to put it on a timer for a few hours before waking up.
$100 from factory. $300 in parts after the fact.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I've been watching temps (on the temp/boost/volts screen) over the last few weeks on my 2.3, and with 5w30 full synthetic, at about 20F starting temp, only 30 seconds or so of warm up, I would just hit 100F as I pulled into work 10 minutes later.

I just put some 0w20 full synth in for winter. The stuff is like water. Now I'll hit about 120F at work.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I've been watching temps (on the temp/boost/volts screen) over the last few weeks on my 2.3, and with 5w30 full synthetic, at about 20F starting temp, only 30 seconds or so of warm up, I would just hit 100F as I pulled into work 10 minutes later.

I just put some 0w20 full synth in for winter. The stuff is like water. Now I'll hit about 120F at work.
Interesting. What are you using?

cpmartin1999

Badlands
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2020 VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the reply ... idiot bar is at least better than a simple idiot light, I think. :- )
im in ATL which isnt cold, but a few high 30ish degree mornings and it warms up FAST, i actually mentioned it to my kids on the way to school, started blowing warm by the time we left the neighborhood
Sponsored