Sponsored

Three Questions: Heat gauge, warm up time, rev matching.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seriously? The cabin gets HOT. Rarely run it at full blast even in the dead of winter.

I’ve been sitting on the parts to install a block heater. My commute is so short - I figured it would be easier on the entire system and it would help my gas mileage. I average 18-19 most of the year. Once the temp drops - I’m more like 15-16.
The drop in mileage is affected by ambient temperature. Cold air is denser than warm air. Heating the engine sooner has no effect.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is an actual oil temp read out under additional gauges.
LOL!!! I had to go check. I never really looked at the symbol, I just assumed it was engine coolant temp. Interesting.

Can confirm, idiot slide bar on the horrific instrument panel, oil temp gauge on the My Screen or whatever they call it, plus the three gauge combo selection, which is what I have mine set to almost all the time. That and tpms setting...

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The drop in mileage is affected by ambient temperature. Cold air is denser than warm air. Heating the engine sooner has no effect.
I believe cold engines are also set to run richer until they warm up ,,, effecting mileage.
Plus he may also be doing an extended idle warm up , which is obviously burning fuel and effecting over all mileage. Just guessing at that.

So, using a block heater to get the motor partially preheated may indeed help your overall fuel usage if it stops other bad fuel habits.
I know my F250 diesel would make luke warm air immediately when I used the block heater. Really helps with getting the windshield clear of morning frost right away, but the motor didn't really need it for starting until the temps were in single digits.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I believe cold engines are also set to run richer until they warm up ,,, effecting mileage.
Plus he may also be doing an extended idle warm up , which is obviously burning fuel and effecting over all mileage. Just guessing at that.

So, using a block heater to get the motor partially preheated may indeed help your overall fuel usage if it stops other bad fuel habits.
I know my F250 diesel would make luke warm air immediately when I used the block heater. Really helps with getting the windshield clear of morning frost right away, but the motor didn't really need it for starting until the temps were in single digits.
Precisely. I don’t idle warm up much - if at all (learned that from driving diesel for 10 years) - but, figured warm engine right off the bat could only help the situation. Sometimes I’ve gotta take the kiddo to school - but, if not I’m literally driving 1.5 miles to our shop. When it’s super cold out - I don’t think the oil is even getting above 60-75°F. I’ll take a closer look this week.

Sponsored

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Cabin heat comes quick in mine, even on days below freezing. I only let mine idle for about 30 seconds before heading out, usually within 2 minutes of driving I’ve got warm air coming through the vents. Couple more minutes and it’s blowing hot.

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Below the speedometer is the water temp bar (no digit reading), in the configurable screen you can set it to display the 4 digit gages all at once. I think it is Turbo Boost, Engine Oil Temp, Transfer case Temp, and (shit I forgot the 4th...)
Sponsored