Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like it might be over pressure from the power steering. One wheel was on grass, the other on hard surface. As the wheel was being turned to the left, one tire was "free to move" and the other was "forced." Too much pressure from the power steering going into one wheel (the resisting wheel) cause the tie rod to bend upwards to relieve the additional stress, but broke before the wheel could turn, or was "over turning" past wheel movement.

Would be interested in seeing the measurement on the tie rod flex under turning stress with big tires.

Just a though, not the facts.

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry, I love the picture of your Bronco….zoom on the driver’s headlight….there is a great picture of your wife(?) with arm’s crossed, thinking “We paid $60K for that and it broke on the driveway?”
HAHA! that’s my wonderful mother! You got it completely right she was not happy!!

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would love to hear a more complete explanation of "turning around". For example, when turning, were you ever at full steering lock to the left? If at full lock, were you applying only light pressure to steering wheel, or more force? Was it at full lock when entering/exiting the grass area, etc. Also photos of the LCA wheel stop to the rear of driver tire would be interesting. Not saying it is your fault, just trying to better understand the weakness.

Assuming the tie rod wasn't already bent, a possible scenario is that electric steering bent the rod trying to turn beyond the knuckle stop. Also, the knuckle bump stop is v-shaped, so up-down wheel travel at full lock may apply additional stress (and chew up the lca tab).
when I was turning around I went straight and then I put it in reverse and started to turn to full lock but before I could get to full lock and actually throttle in reverse the tie rod snapped in the midst of the turn before full lock

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After further inspection… I’m blaming it all on the fuzzy dice. 🤷‍♂️
I think that’s the problem! Out they go!!

Sponsored
OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm going to be that guy. The break, is right at the jamb nut which is the location that would be most prone for it to happen based on other failures we've seen. It's possible the inner wasn't heat treated correctly, defect in the metal (micro cracks) that happened post threading (die cut or roll formed?), stress induced in that section of the inner from the jamb nut (would expect the break on the outboard side rather than inboard?) from over tightening. We all can agree these OE rods are probably undersized for anything but on pavement use with everything in stock config.

Can't believe it took two trucks to get it loaded, can't wait to see what they bill Ford for that! Hope they get you fixed up quickly.
yeah the towing was the craziest part! Definitely for anyone in the Charlotte area carters towing is great and the people are awesome!

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have wheeled with @DaBroncstah once. Can vouch for them not hammering on their ride.
Also on that ride the only time there was anything even close to suspect, it was a bottoming out barely enough to elicit a sound from the skid as it creaked over a rock. So slight one could mistake it for a break squeal or shock creaking.
Like seriously a 1.1 on a scale of 1-10 possible off-pavement calamity or risk.

Many will speculate prior sheer force or damage and say "ah-ha!" at this. "See!? They have been off road, surely they KO'ed it doing so!!"
No.

In no way, shape, or form was that TRE damaged or compromised in any way that one day.

Unless the miniscule percentage of weight transfer onto that skid at the exact moment they moved the wheel .001% of a degree.

And if that is the case, if that is as "Ford tough" as this machine is, I'm selling mine tomorrow.
I've put mine through many times more harrowing predicaments and no issue at all. I now have JKS sleeves on it as a safety factor, and also carry a few spare TRE. But knock on wood, never had to deal with them breaking yet.

Agreed on the fact the break does show clear evidence of damage at some point in the past. Just enough to allow moisture to discolor the steel prior to the actual more jagged failure.

One thing that does surprise me, and without being a metallurgist or having access to the people or equipment to analyze is the surprising and assumed makeup of the steel used on these. The look of it suggests a high nickel or zinc content vs. hardened steel.

The subject matter experts from above (no sarcasm here) may be able to tell a bit more. But the harder the steel, the less it wants to distort and be malleable, and the higher the tendency for brittleness and shear. Perhaps these are heat treated only partially and not the entire part?
This indicates, at least to my non-expert eyes, a softer compound that stretched and failed, but not a total failure until the straw that broke the camel's back that led to the rest of it giving way.

@DaBroncstah sorry to hear and see this. Ya'll are solid, good people and I hope you get it fixed quickly, and not on your dime for the tow or repair.
Thank you so much for your nice words I appreciate it! Dylan said he’d fix it probably by today which is AWESOME. So far everything has been covered and my family and I can’t wait to see y’all again and do some wheeling with the bronco!!

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

wow...ridiculous...I just took my Bronco to Colorado and did a bunch of Alpine Loop trails and this was my fear the whole time...but in the driveway...EEK!
yep exactly what I was thinking! These things are off road beasts but a driveway will snap a tie rod :ROFLMAO:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you so much for your nice words I appreciate it! Dylan said he’d fix it probably by today which is AWESOME. So far everything has been covered and my family and I can’t wait to see y’all again and do some wheeling with the bronco!!
I hope they're going to inspect the other side too.

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

that sucks wes!! You going to cars and coffee on Saturday?
If I can make my red eye flight from
Los Angeles tonight I’ll be back in time and plan on it. If I don’t make the flight won’t be back until like 3 Pm

You going?

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I can make my red eye flight from
Los Angeles tonight I’ll be back in time and plan on it. If I don’t make the flight won’t be back until like 3 Pm

You going?
yeah I am and another guy from BOTC is going. I have work at 10:30 so I’m getting there at 8am and probably leaving around 9:30! Hope to see ya

KC5MO

Wildtrak
First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak, 1975 CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I really don’t think that this is a common occurrence so don’t be super worried! This is the first driveway incident that I’ve heard of so far. I love my bronco and you should definitely keep your order!!!
I definitely will keep my order, just thinking about the HOSS 3.0 now.
I really don’t think that this is a common occurrence so don’t be super worried! This is the first driveway incident that I’ve heard of so far. I love my bronco and you should definitely keep your order!!!
Definitely going to place the prder as soon as Ford starts accepting them.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’d love to get my hands on that. Certainly looks like op did nothing in the driveway. I’d guess a loader strapped down over the tie rod somehow and snapped it. The other option is super bad: defective. If there is a defect to that including heat treat or material defects it’s a major safety issue. Half a step below that would be an issue in manufacturing. If the threads are roll formed with a back plunge to relieve stress, or a die that gouged the material.

could be another major issue for a recall. But i doubt it. Probably some grease monkey did something stupid.

BlueBoy

First Edition
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco 351W
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Does anyone have the part # handy for the upgraded rack and tie rod assembly mentioned which is used on the WT and Braptors?
Sponsored