Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So you think Ford would tell us all the issues they had in testing? Wonder why an upgraded steering rack and tie rods was listed as a Ford Performance part for the Bronco before the Bronco ever started shipping?
It has nothing to do with telling us anything. No major publication testing the bronco has broken a tie rod that I have read and I’ve read everything I can find. As for the updated steering rack and tie rods, those are standard on the raptor and hoss 3.0 suspension. Using your logic then upgrade packages for towing, off road and the like all mean the standard version of those items is crap. And finally you think ford would rather pay for a bunch of warranty work rather than just update a bad part? If the tie rods were so terrible we would see a ton of failures, which we haven’t. 80-90% of the failures to date have been due to stupidity or bad mods.
Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So you think Ford would tell us all the issues they had in testing? Wonder why an upgraded steering rack and tie rods was listed as a Ford Performance part for the Bronco before the Bronco ever started shipping?
It has nothing to do with telling us anything. No major publication testing the bronco has broken a tie rod that I have read and I’ve read everything I can find. As for the updated steering rack and tie rods, those are standard on the raptor and hoss 3.0 suspension. Using your logic then upgrade packages for towing, off road and the like all mean the standard version of those items is crap.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Moral of the story...I'm carrying spare inners along with tools to replace. They will hopefully gather dust over my years of ownership, but I'd rather have the means of fixing myself in a pinch.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Are the spares and tools sold as a kit?

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

HOSS 2.5? I'll just call it that because this won't involve a rack.

Finally got the inners and outers I believe are HOSS 3.0, aka " ADRENALIN PACKAGE, WITH ROUGH ROAD SUSPENSION". Inners are NB3Z-3280-C outers are NB3Z-3A130-B (RH) and NB3Z-3A130-C (LH). The inners didn't come with a jamb nut which apparently is only serviced with the rack.

Moral of the story, Phil might be getting HOSS 2.5 TREs on his BL when it comes in at the end of the month. As far as I can tell, taper and threads on the outer joints are the same and the inner that screws into the rack is the same thread as the stock ones.

Stock outer on the bottom
hoss 2.51.jpg

hoss 2.52.jpg

Stock assembly on top.
hoss 2.53.jpg
Thanks for posting this! (And everything else you post too)..makes me even more excited to know my new HD rack has been shipped and arriving TOMORROW!!! along with the HD tie rods. These look great !!! I'm stoked. My steed is already at the dealership getting warranty work, so this is perfect timing for the service dept to bolt on the new Rack and calibrate the steering position sensors. Yippee 😁

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I don't think they have a major design issue with the stock rods considering they aren't failing in large numbers from strictly on-road use. Lots of arguments to be made that the Bronco was designed to go off-road but there are still limitations on use. They put heavier rods on, how many more people will feel comfortable installing larger tires that put more stress on the rack and assist motor? How many more will attempt obstacles they shouldn't or don't have the experience to navigate them? Maybe this is why the outer has Ford Performance cast into the part and not like a "stock" item.

I agree with you that going forward, anything SAS or BL and WT should have the updated components. BL and WT especially have more off-road specific stuff and are likely the models people wanting to do serious stuff are buying for that purpose. Cost is probably minimal but there may be more things that need to be upgraded in the steering system if they do this across other models. Probably see more mass adoption when they do a refresh in a couple of years or at least offer it as an option.
Well said. I am one of those people you mentioned that intend on going with 38s or even 40s just as soon as the Ford Performance HD rack and HD tie rods are installed.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Y'all act like the Bronco is the only off road vehicle to ever break a tie rod. :rolleyes:
Naw the isuzus all used a nearly identical design and tie rod size as the Bronco,and those broke often enough for folks to build the first tie rod sleeves many yrs ago. Then came the HD tie rods with bigger international Tie Rods ends and HD tie rod shafts. This is old news for most off-roaders, but for the newbies stepping up from a scoobaroos and escapes, well it's a bit new to most of them.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How does the new steering rack prevent the part that pops out under pressure on the original from popping out?

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How does the new steering rack prevent the part that pops out under pressure on the original from popping out?
According to Ford it's 32% stronger....we'll see.

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
UPDATE: Replaced under warranty. All good now!! Thank you to huntersville ford!!

Well what I thought would never happened happened.

I just got my babe back from getting the recalls done on it and literally not even an hour after having it back I was turning around in my driveway and the tie rod snapped :). I’m completely stock with 33s!

I thought tie rods were only snapping on off roading conditions but I guess not! This sucks

FD7E7E17-FE95-4FA0-843C-05B2A2256472.jpeg

16A3ED21-4B53-4465-AC7F-FAEE98F0FD02.jpeg

More info/answer:

as I said earlier I’m being completely truthful. No curb smacking has happened unless someone stole it in the dead of night and took it for a joy ride. The dealership idea might be correct though, they did do an inspection so maybe they lifted it up and something happened? I’m not sure but I am sure that I’m telling the truth.

I get where you’re coming from though with being suspicious (people always tell major stories and leave out key details) but I promise I’m telling you everything that I’ve done!!
By the look of it that
UPDATE: Replaced under warranty. All good now!! Thank you to huntersville ford!!

Well what I thought would never happened happened.

I just got my babe back from getting the recalls done on it and literally not even an hour after having it back I was turning around in my driveway and the tie rod snapped :). I’m completely stock with 33s!

I thought tie rods were only snapping on off roading conditions but I guess not! This sucks

FD7E7E17-FE95-4FA0-843C-05B2A2256472.jpeg

16A3ED21-4B53-4465-AC7F-FAEE98F0FD02.jpeg

More info/answer:

as I said earlier I’m being completely truthful. No curb smacking has happened unless someone stole it in the dead of night and took it for a joy ride. The dealership idea might be correct though, they did do an inspection so maybe they lifted it up and something happened? I’m not sure but I am sure that I’m telling the truth.

I get where you’re coming from though with being suspicious (people always tell major stories and leave out key details) but I promise I’m telling you everything that I’ve done!!
Look at the photo, not saying you did it but that tie rod experienced major stress at some point. That rod is 3/4" solid steel. I get it that Jeep recirculating ball may be stronger, but no way would I give up the vastly superior steering and handling of IFS.

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HOSS 2.5? I'll just call it that because this won't involve a rack.

Finally got the inners and outers I believe are HOSS 3.0, aka " ADRENALIN PACKAGE, WITH ROUGH ROAD SUSPENSION". Inners are NB3Z-3280-C outers are NB3Z-3A130-B (RH) and NB3Z-3A130-C (LH). The inners didn't come with a jamb nut which apparently is only serviced with the rack.

Moral of the story, Phil might be getting HOSS 2.5 TREs on his BL when it comes in at the end of the month. As far as I can tell, taper and threads on the outer joints are the same and the inner that screws into the rack is the same thread as the stock ones.

Stock outer on the bottom
hoss 2.51.jpg

hoss 2.52.jpg

Stock assembly on top.
hoss 2.53.jpg
Thanks for posting this. It appears from the pics the threaded part of the Ford Performance TRE is thicker, but you're saying that its not? The threaded portion appears to be the weak point on these, but the newer ones appear to thread in further, so who knows. I'm guessing they're made from the same general material. I'll probably installed these at some point (as will others) just for the piece of mind. Probably cheaper than the BroncBuster braces.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

By the look of it that

Look at the photo, not saying you did it but that tie rod experienced major stress at some point. That rod is 3/4" solid steel. I get it that Jeep recirculating ball may be stronger, but no way would I give up the vastly superior steering and handling of IFS.
I agree that it looks like that but the only problem is that I have no idea what I’ve done that could put that much stress on it. But yes it definitely was stressed somehow

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

By the look of it that

3/4 is a big exaggeration. Try 12 mm instead. That's less than a half inch.

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually they are built with a small bend in them for tire/wheel clearance. This does put a weak potentially bendable area right near the middle or weakest area. Also if there is any bind under extension the tie rod will always bend away from the load or angle it's put in with a load. Because they are angled downward they bend upward ( in the center) ... common sense .
Do what? The tie rod is completely straight. The tie rod end is a cast part and it can have a bend in it, but the tie rod can't. If it does, there is something wrong and they need to be replaced.
Sponsored