Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do what? The tie rod is completely straight. The tie rod end is a cast part and it can have a bend in it, but the tie rod can't. If it does, there is something wrong and they need to be replaced.
I'm saying the S shaped bend cast into the TRE could be off center just a bit, which definitely would cause a side load in the middle of of the assembly and make it weaker that if it was perfectly dead center.

The absolute center of the balls radius could be incorrect from the OEM and this would cause a weakness .

hoss 2.52~2.jpg

hoss 2.53~2.jpg
Sponsored

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm saying the S shaped bend cast into the TRE could be off center just a bit, which definitely would cause a side load in the middle of of the assembly and make it weaker that if it was perfectly dead center.

The absolute center of the balls radius could be incorrect from the OEM and this would cause a weakness .

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] hoss 2.53~2

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] hoss 2.53~2
The hand drawn yellow line is off a little on bottom picture. The “Tie rod” has no side load on it as long as the line through it is straight to the center of the axis of ball in the tie rod end. The tie rod end could be S shaped. Now if we are saying the casing of the tie rod end isn’t strong enough and is deforming, which is then creating an off axis pushing/pulling load on tie rod, then that might be true. I’m thinking that might be the actual issue and if so, we will see a recall one day with Ford replacing tie rods and tie rod ends.

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I picked up spares today. Warranty or not I don’t want to be stranded in the remote places I like to venture. Hopefully Murphy’s Law holds, now that I’ve got them I won’t need them…or something like that.
Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] 4A9330F5-3B21-4365-9FBB-73039F4B05CC
Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] 965AD601-8B86-4A1B-843F-8AD1591613A7

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I picked up spares today. Warranty or not I don’t want to be stranded in the remote places I like to venture. Hopefully Murphy’s Law holds, now that I’ve got them I won’t need them…or something like that.
Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] 965AD601-8B86-4A1B-843F-8AD1591613A7
nice! Where did you order them from and how much were they?

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

nice! Where did you order them from and how much were they?
Local dealership, paid way to much but probably because a “kit”. Not sure, and don’t really care. $113ea (USD).

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So why the boot? Thought it transfered over to the new rod?

Is that just so you can rip the old one off instead of being carefull or something?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So why the boot? Thought it transfered over to the new rod?

Is that just so you can rip the old one off instead of being carefull or something?
You can also purchase the inner tie rod separately, but the large factory clamp is not re-usable, and including the boot and clamps in the kit only adds about $6…

Tie Rod-Inner - Ford (MB3Z-3280-B)

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] CCDC013B-7E5C-46E7-928A-FF2B68750496

Last edited:

Sponsored

Suke996

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition (Reservation)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Showed this to a metallurgist. The lines running parallel mean it was an up/down bend that caused the failure.

Wondering if a limiting strap is needed on these when put on shop lifts? In full droop, the tie rod is probably being stressed and failed due to the threaded side being so thin of a part to begin with.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

but the large factory clamp is not re-usable,
Not technically but I've reused them several times by being very gentle during removal and fixing the tabs with needlenose. So if you don't have a new one it's worth a shot.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The hand drawn yellow line is off a little on bottom picture. The “Tie rod” has no side load on it as long as the line through it is straight to the center of the axis of ball in the tie rod end. The tie rod end could be S shaped. Now if we are saying the casing of the tie rod end isn’t strong enough and is deforming, which is then creating an off axis pushing/pulling load on tie rod, then that might be true. I’m thinking that might be the actual issue and if so, we will see a recall one day with Ford replacing tie rods and tie rod ends.
Yeah, but we really don't know that the center is TRUE....we hope it is. once I rip the old weak 12 mm ones off I'm going to put them in a clamp and or press and see if they deformed or break when pressure is applied end to end ....

CheekyOldMan

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the only reason we care about the beefier Ford tie rods so that we don't have to use aftermarket? Because I'd think the aftermarket tie rods would be a hell of a lot better, and we know they fit.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the only reason we care about the beefier Ford tie rods so that we don't have to use aftermarket? Because I'd think the aftermarket tie rods would be a hell of a lot better, and we know they fit.
Aftermarket is all fine and well, I'm just not willing to put heims on a daily driver. Give us beefy traditional ball and socket TREs and I'm a buyer.
Sponsored