First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bend in the rod seems to indicate the rod was pulled up, not down. This is opposite from what a tie down bend would look like. However, a bend would shorten the effective length of the tie-rod, causing a toe in condition for that wheel. If the toe was reset to factory specs, the rod would have been rotated to make the adjustment which could account for what appears to be an upward bend. Was someone too dumb to realize the rod shouldn't be bent? OR maybe trying to cover up their f--- up?

Just throwing that out there...
I understand what you are saying. However, pushing up on one end of the link might bend it the same way as pushing down on the other end of the link.

Reading everyone’s opinions, my conclusion (perhaps completely wrong) is that the bend was most likely caused by tie-downs.

It would be interesting to find out how these vehicles are getting secured in the rail cars. Rail cars are notorious for getting “humped” and the forces on the cargo are significant. “Industry” is responsible for securely loading cargo into the railroad’s cars.

Inspect your tie rods upon delivery. Pretty sure the OP will not get a warranty claim.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I said it's possible the Bronco was tied down (to the trailer) using the tierod (as the chassis connection point) where the tie-down strap (i.e. apparatus) was hooked to. Which direction the sheer force was applied to is unknown (i.e. straight down or some other vector forward or rearward). Keep in mind the inner tierod (the part that snapped) freely rotates in the ball socket at the connection to the steering rack so it could have moved once the shaft snapped. As the tierod moves in or out as it steers the wheel it has an angle of deflection, which is a rotational force. That force on the tirerod could spin the inner tierod to the position you see in the pic once the shaft snaps.
It can only spin at the rack end during use. The knuckle end is locked down. It could have been rotated during an alignment done after the bend however.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

the grass (it’s more like clover ground cover) was wet and the cover on the ground is really thin and delicate and sometimes it gets all chewed up just from me riding my bike through. Usually when I turn in place in the alley way the grass gets destroyed and looks like that!
The Ford apologists are really getting ridiculous, now one must defend themselves for driving a Bronco on grass. :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will not be ordering a $3,000 rack or even braces.

I do think having a spare set on the shelf is cheap insurance though

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

shouldn't the green line on the arm and the nut line up? they are off! was somebody messin with it before hand?

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If they tied it down then the bend would be up... not down like in the pic....
As I corrected my original opinion of the bend direction,look at the paint marks on the rubber boot and in your mind rotate the inner half of the tie rod. The bend is horizontal and I think there was contact between the nut and the strut, which would initiate the horizontal bending stress.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

shouldn't the green line on the arm and the nut line up? they are off! was somebody messin with it before hand?
Yes, that's the reason for the mark. Nut became loose at some point. (Conjecture) high point of nut came in contact with lower strut whereas the flat side of nut would have had 1/64" clearance

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

JB-Weld will fix that right up.

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well what I thought would never happened happened.

I just got my babe back from getting the recalls done on it and literally not even an hour after having it back I was turning around in my driveway and the tie rod snapped :). I’m completely stock with 33s!

I thought tie rods were only snapping on off roading conditions but I guess not! This sucks

FD7E7E17-FE95-4FA0-843C-05B2A2256472.jpeg

16A3ED21-4B53-4465-AC7F-FAEE98F0FD02.jpeg

More info/answer:

as I said earlier I’m being completely truthful. No curb smacking has happened unless someone stole it in the dead of night and took it for a joy ride. The dealership idea might be correct though, they did do an inspection so maybe they lifted it up and something happened? I’m not sure but I am sure that I’m telling the truth.

I get where you’re coming from though with being suspicious (people always tell major stories and leave out key details) but I promise I’m telling you everything that I’ve done!!
well the babe is back home!!! Huge thanks to huntersville ford in Charlotte and an even bigger thanks to @bltfrdtgh who is the best service manager ever :)

anyone in the Charlotte area should go to huntersville, 100/10 experience!!

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] CF8C95A5-C066-41D1-808C-D8EE62F9CCF6

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] 16E0232E-2468-45A9-8FDF-6B35101291D5

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] 15363CCD-24B4-4E44-97A7-385200794A7B

Thank you for all the input everyone!!

Everyone on this forum is amazing and I’ve realized just how nice y’all are!! First thing I’m doing is ordering some braces. :ROFLMAO:

Fingers crossed this was just a wrong place wrong time scenario and I still am in love with my bronco!!

y’all are the best forum ever and if anyone is in the Charlotte area I hope to see you at cars and coffee tomorrow!!

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

well the babe is back home!!! Huge thanks to huntersville ford in Charlotte and an even bigger thanks to @bltfrdtgh who is the best service manager ever :)

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] 15363CCD-24B4-4E44-97A7-385200794A7B

Everyone on this forum is amazing and I’ve realized just how nice y’all are!! First thing I’m doing is ordering some braces. :ROFLMAO:

Fingers crossed this was just a wrong place wrong time scenario and I still am in love with my bronco!!

y’all are the best forum ever and if anyone is in the Charlotte area I hope to see you at cars and coffee tomorrow!!
Great News that they didn't deny its a warranty claim. Did the hint at the cause or factory defect?

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow they had one in stock? I would have had to wait at least a week. Was it covered?

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great News that they didn't deny its a warranty claim. Did the hint at the cause or factory defect?
nope this is a new dealer ship I went to instead of the one I got the recalls done at where maybe the messed up TRE happened! But I didn’t really get to talk with anyone since the vehicle was already there and all I had to do was pick it up

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CF8C95A5-C066-41D1-808C-D8EE62F9CCF6.jpeg

16E0232E-2468-45A9-8FDF-6B35101291D5.jpeg

15363CCD-24B4-4E44-97A7-385200794A7B.jpeg

nope this is a new dealer ship I went to instead of the one I got the recalls done at where maybe the messed up TRE happened! But I didn’t really get to talk with anyone since the vehicle was already there and all I had to do was pick it up
Congratulations! 🍸🎈🎉🥳🍾🥂🍺🍷🍹🥃🎆🔥

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup, excellent! I would hope Ford wanted the part returned to them for a failure analysis.