Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord/CX-5/A5 Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The weak point then moves to the steering rack -- which is a lot more $$$ to replace. -- so maybe go with this sleeve and Bronc Buster's rack fix. ( You're still in for $400 - but you get both ). I'm not sure where the failure point is after reinforcing the rack. Probably some 5K$ part...

OP
OP

BigGarnet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The weak point then moves to the steering rack -- which is a lot more $$$ to replace. -- so maybe go with this sleeve and Bronc Buster's rack fix. ( You're still in for $400 - but you get both ). I'm not sure where the failure point is after reinforcing the rack. Probably some 5K$ part...
It seems the racks are only breaking when the truck is lifted more than 3ā€. Have you seen a stock or equivalent Bronco with 35s break a rack?

The lift changes the angle and allows for that failure. Most of the broken rack reports were also the guy selling the rack fix bushing for a crazy priceā€¦so Iā€™m not sure how bad it really is.

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It seems the racks are only breaking when the truck is lifted more than 3ā€. Have you seen a stock or equivalent Bronco with 35s break a rack?

The lift changes the angle and allows for that failure. Most of the broken rack reports were also the guy selling the rack fix bushing for a crazy priceā€¦so Iā€™m not sure how bad it really is.
This. Thereā€™s a consensus on this forum that the rack is weak. The only one Iā€™ve seen fail is a guy on 40s driving like a maniac, intentionally trying to break the rack. I mean, I could break all kinds of shit if I was trying to.

jxc

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord/CX-5/A5 Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not - Bronc Buster is the only one I've heard of.

Sponsored

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I bought the ones from JKS, same company....they are nicely made. Not sure if they will provide same reinforcement as broncbuster. Don't have my truck yet...supposed to be in transit. When I get I am going to install these, and the bronc buster internal sleeve. If you watch his video, he shows how it fails. It's internal lateral movement in the rack, the sleeve eliminates it. Anyone who is going to off road these trucks should invest in these fixes. Compared to new rack....

wyobronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond 2 DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just purchased this and the broncbuster bushing. Ill be running 37s on an icon lift. I think it will work well, and its a good solution as a first step. Big thing about a rig like this is now when to stop what you are doing. Stay out of those full bind situations. Ill be installing it all over the next week then heading to Moab, so Ill let ya know!

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This. Thereā€™s a consensus on this forum that the rack is weak. The only one Iā€™ve seen fail is a guy on 40s driving like a maniac, intentionally trying to break the rack. I mean, I could break all kinds of shit if I was trying to.
Amen. I could run mine into a bridge embankment at 75mph claiming Iā€™m looking for ā€˜weak points.ā€™ Garbage content.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just purchased this and the broncbuster bushing. Ill be running 37s on an icon lift. I think it will work well, and its a good solution as a first step. Big thing about a rig like this is now when to stop what you are doing. Stay out of those full bind situations. Ill be installing it all over the next week then heading to Moab, so Ill let ya know!
Not to go off topic...well sort of, but I'm looking at the icon suspension as well. Which stage are you going with? I plan to overbuild so stage 8 might be in Buddy's future. But their system just makes more sense to me than Fox and King as I research.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am on stock 33s and this looks like a good upgrade to me. I have only seen one other rack break on video, but it was a stock SQ model and relatively light wheeling, crossing up on a log feature at an off-road park I think. I look forward to some ride reports!

Sponsored

wyobronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond 2 DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not to go off topic...well sort of, but I'm looking at the icon suspension as well. Which stage are you going with? I plan to overbuild so stage 8 might be in Buddy's future. But their system just makes more sense to me than Fox and King as I research.
Im just going with their spacer kit right now. Things are way too new to jump into a bunch of coilovers and whatnot for me. I have a feeling down the road when Im done using this as a daily driver I might rip it all apart and go 1-tons.

After talking with Dusty, the spacer kit should do really well and MOST of it, and let me decide down the road what I want to change.

OP
OP

BigGarnet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am on stock 33s and this looks like a good upgrade to me. I have only seen one other rack break on video, but it was a stock SQ model and relatively light wheeling, crossing up on a log feature at an off-road park I think. I look forward to some ride reports!
You sure that one was the steering rack? I thought that was just tie rod breakages as well.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You sure that one was the steering rack? I thought that was just tie rod breakages as well.
Sorry, yes, tie rod, not rack. Seems pretty clear the rack issue is related to lift and steering angle. I have no lift plans, but adding some strength to the tie rod sounds like a reasonable upgrade for my use.

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

i did the icon 3 and planned on running 37s too

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

rack issue is at full drupe (extended more if lifted) it darn near pulls splines completely out, that is what the rack insert fix prevents from Bronco Buster. The OEM tie rods are are pretty light as a fuse, I think you would be ok putting a bit stiffer ones in, just dont go hardcore, that will just move the failure elsewhere.
Sponsored