First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve always been a fanatic about squeaks and rattles, and my new 2 door is making it clear to me, this is a whole new project. Incredible a new vehicle can come built with so much wind noise and lack of soundproofing. Kudos for taking yours apart and fixing what should have been done at the factory.

I’m just doing the rear cargo area, the floor and plastic side panels, behind subwoofer, basically anything I can stick the dynamat to, lol. How hard was it to just take apart the rear floor and plastic side panels? I hear that those white weird dome looking clips can break. Did you have any problems? Use any special tool, or have any advice? Thanks so much!
Sponsored

OP
OP
jlatigo

jlatigo

Wildtrak
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Bronco, 14 Raptor, 22 Raptor, 22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’ve always been a fanatic about squeaks and rattles, and my new 2 door is making it clear to me, this is a whole new project. Incredible a new vehicle can come built with so much wind noise and lack of soundproofing. Kudos for taking yours apart and fixing what should have been done at the factory.

I’m just doing the rear cargo area, the floor and plastic side panels, behind subwoofer, basically anything I can stick the dynamat to, lol. How hard was it to just take apart the rear floor and plastic side panels? I hear that those white weird dome looking clips can break. Did you have any problems? Use any special tool, or have any advice? Thanks so much!
It was very easy to take it all apart, it probably took me about an hour for the entire car to be made bare. Some of the clips are 2 piece clips and look broken but they snap back together easily. In my opinion it's a good solo weekend project to do the entire truck, or a quick Saturday project if just the rear is done.

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It was very easy to take it all apart, it probably took me about an hour for the entire car to be made bare. Some of the clips are 2 piece clips and look broken but they snap back together easily. In my opinion it's a good solo weekend project to do the entire truck, or a quick Saturday project if just the rear is done.
Great! I have some dynamat already, will order some more and some of the foam pad you recommended also. Coming from a ‘17 X5, I’m spoiled by a super powerful in-line 6 with the performance tune, and a very quiet interior.

The Bronco isn’t as powerful, nor as quiet for sure, but I’m working on it 😁. After the soundproofing project I’ll give it the Ford Performance calibration tune.

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i used killmat and then the Siless over that, they serve two different purposes and work best when used together. Dynamat is a great name brand product and killmat is the more "generic" version that's been around for a long time with very similar specs to the name brand. without doing the doors i have used right at 50 sqr feet of each product, the doors should take another 12-15 sqr feet at most.
Sorry if these are dumb questions and too many of them, but I went through the full thread and just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right (first time ever adding sound deadening to a car).

Is the general process to first apply the kilmat everywhere and then add the siless foam on top? Was there any situation where you added one but not the others?

For example, I saw in your door thread, you added siless foam to the plastic cover/trim. Was there kilmat underneath that? I also saw that you only added felt on some of the plastic trim (like around the sub enclosure) due to weight of the material.

In general, I guess what I am asking is are there guidelines for where to add certain materials and when?

Lastly, does the added thickness of placing the kilmat + siless foam on the floor cause any issues when adding the flooring back? I have the rubberized floor and heard that it can tear somewhat easily if you're not careful.

OP
OP
jlatigo

jlatigo

Wildtrak
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
QUOTE="soupcansam, post: 1794608, member: 43426"]
Sorry if these are dumb questions and too many of them, but I went through the full thread and just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right (first time ever adding sound deadening to a car).

Is the general process to first apply the kilmat everywhere and then add the siless foam on top? Was there any situation where you added one but not the others?

adding the siless over all the places you added the kilmat is best, stay an inch or so away from the edges to make sure it's not too thick so the carpet lays correctly at the edges.

For example, I saw in your door thread, you added siless foam to the plastic cover/trim. Was there kilmat underneath that? I also saw that you only added felt on some of the plastic trim (like around the sub enclosure) due to weight of the material.

I didn't add killmat to the plastic since i feel it would not be worth is, the siless will keep any resonance down by. I also added the fuzzy fleece tape to all places the mounting clips clip into to further prevent rattles and squeaks. The felt is great at absorbing sounds and is light weight, and just a little extra to keep road noise out.

In general, I guess what I am asking is are there guidelines for where to add certain materials and when?

Add the killmat to anything that's metal, one layer over most of the floor is good, big or long parts that sound like a tin can when you rap a knuckle over it can benifit from two layers as long as you make sure they carpet won't be affected ( areas close to the edges). The siless is a good decoupling membrane to keep noises on the other side oh where placed( mass loaded vinyl is way better, but heavy, thick, hard to mold, and way more expensive) The felt underlayment is good at absorbing some of what gets passed the other layers.

It won't be soundproof, as there as way more places the sound gets in like the roof, and windows, but it does make a difference in the amount of noise. as well as how solid the vehicle feels.

Lastly, does the added thickness of placing the kilmat + siless foam on the floor cause any issues when adding the flooring back? I have the rubberized floor and heard that it can tear somewhat easily if you're not careful.

I can't speak on the rubber floor matt, but a good rule is to avoid putting anything more than the killmat within an inch or two from the edges to make sure the flooring lays right under the trim pieces.

Sponsored

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

adding the siless over all the places you added the kilmat is best, stay an inch or so away from the edges to make sure it's not too thick so the carpet lays correctly at the edges.

I didn't add killmat to the plastic since i feel it would not be worth is, the siless will keep any resonance down by. I also added the fuzzy fleece tape to all places the mounting clips clip into to further prevent rattles and squeaks. The felt is great at absorbing sounds and is light weight, and just a little extra to keep road noise out.

Add the killmat to anything that's metal, one layer over most of the floor is good, big or long parts that sound like a tin can when you rap a knuckle over it can benifit from two layers as long as you make sure they carpet won't be affected ( areas close to the edges). The siless is a good decoupling membrane to keep noises on the other side oh where placed( mass loaded vinyl is way better, but heavy, thick, hard to mold, and way more expensive) The felt underlayment is good at absorbing some of what gets passed the other layers.

It won't be soundproof, as there as way more places the sound gets in like the roof, and windows, but it does make a difference in the amount of noise. as well as how solid the vehicle feels.

I can't speak on the rubber floor matt, but a good rule is to avoid putting anything more than the killmat within an inch or two from the edges to make sure the flooring lays right under the trim pieces.
Thanks for answering all my questions, I really appreciate it!

real3d

Badlands
First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last update... added some weatherstripping on the hardtop, it knocked out the wind noise coming from the b pillar. Adding rhe roof rack brought a lot of noise back lol

inbound1354857122472943028.jpg

inbound5799972757427545389.jpg

inbound5538873661247351389.jpg
Do you mind sharing a link to the specific weather strip that you used?

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I want to tackle this project myself for my 4-door OBX. Part of my issue are noises from the engine bay. Mostly injector noise from the drivers side, and an odd resonating noise from the passenger side (only occasionally). So I wanted to start with putting the butyl and foam in the foot well areas that aren't covered. I see the passenger side has some kind of padding though.

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230517_114137

I believe i can cover most of the metal here with no issues.

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230517_114223

I just have to remove this loose molded padding and I can slap some butle and foam under the passenger side as well. Hopefully that will stop the resonating noise I hear occasionally.

Any thoughts on these 2 areas?

Thanks!

OP
OP
jlatigo

jlatigo

Wildtrak
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I want to tackle this project myself for my 4-door OBX. Part of my issue are noises from the engine bay. Mostly injector noise from the drivers side, and an odd resonating noise from the passenger side (only occasionally). So I wanted to start with putting the butyl and foam in the foot well areas that aren't covered. I see the passenger side has some kind of padding though.

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230517_114223

I believe i can cover most of the metal here with no issues.

I just have to remove this loose molded padding and I can slap some butle and foam under the passenger side as well. Hopefully that will stop the resonating noise I hear occasionally.

Any thoughts on these 2 areas?

Thanks!
a
adding material to these bare areas should help, please post up your results!

Sponsored

HulkBronc88

Big Bend
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wanted to post my first attempt at this. Keep in kind I've never tried sound deadening before. I took it slow and tried not to damage anything or cover up things that might be important. I started with the drivers side footwell. I was trying to reduce engine noise coming into the cabin but I don't think it worked haha. I will try to add materials behind the center console and also the passengers side to see if covering everything helps. So here are some photos of the drivers side. It started out well, but man its really difficult to get pieces up under the dash and behind the pedals etc. I can see why no one does it haha.

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230606_114127

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230606_114134

Next I added Siless PE foam. It started out well, but once I got to the tight spaces, it become quite difficult. The backing is incredibly sticky and it basically adheres the second it touches anything. So it doesn't look that great, but you can't see it unless you crawl under the dash.

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230606_121235

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230606_124306

Later in the day I was able to do the drivers side door. Now that I can definitely tell a big difference. The door feels really solid, and most likely blocks a lot of noise. As an FYI my driver side doors where replaced. 85/yo slammed into me 2 weeks after purchase. I noticed the transparent plastic cover is missing from the inner door. I put both materials on the inside and outside of the door. I might even put some foam on the backside of the door panel.

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230606_181749
Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230606_185946
Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230606_193901
Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230606_200959
Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230606_202920

Not bad for my first time doing this. As you can see not everything looks perfect etc, but nothing important is obstructed and everything fits bat perfectly. I'm really looking forward to doing the other 3 doors, and eventually the entire floor and rear cargo area!

Moribach

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I wanted to post my first attempt at this. Keep in kind I've never tried sound deadening before. I took it slow and tried not to damage anything or cover up things that might be important. I started with the drivers side footwell. I was trying to reduce engine noise coming into the cabin but I don't think it worked haha. I will try to add materials behind the center console and also the passengers side to see if covering everything helps. So here are some photos of the drivers side. It started out well, but man its really difficult to get pieces up under the dash and behind the pedals etc. I can see why no one does it haha.

Ford Bronco Time to lower the road noise / NVH sound level - my DIY sound deadening material install project 20230606_202920

Next I added Siless PE foam. It started out well, but once I got to the tight spaces, it become quite difficult. The backing is incredibly sticky and it basically adheres the second it touches anything. So it doesn't look that great, but you can't see it unless you crawl under the dash.

Later in the day I was able to do the drivers side door. Now that I can definitely tell a big difference. The door feels really solid, and most likely blocks a lot of noise. As an FYI my driver side doors where replaced. 85/yo slammed into me 2 weeks after purchase. I noticed the transparent plastic cover is missing from the inner door. I put both materials on the inside and outside of the door. I might even put some foam on the backside of the door panel.

Not bad for my first time doing this. As you can see not everything looks perfect etc, but nothing important is obstructed and everything fits bat perfectly. I'm really looking forward to doing the other 3 doors, and eventually the entire floor and rear cargo area!
Damn. Yes, awesome job for a first time!

soupcansam

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I finally got around to doing this and had one quick question about the felt. How did you attach it to the trim panels? Would double sided 3M tape work? Or, did you need to use a glue of some kind?

OP
OP
jlatigo

jlatigo

Wildtrak
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I finally got around to doing this and had one quick question about the felt. How did you attach it to the trim panels? Would double sided 3M tape work? Or, did you need to use a glue of some kind?
I used 3m spray adhesive