Rick U

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious why the owners manual says only install chain on the following size tires:
275/70 r 16 and 275/75 r 17?
Sponsored

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Curious why the owners manual says only install chain on the following size tires:
275/70 r 16 and 275/75 r 17?
If you saw the front clearance with stock offset, you would understand!
Ford Bronco Tire chains purchases begun IMG_9647

Rick U

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That picture says it all. Did you happen to check the back?

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was in Big Bear, CA once and they had a mandatory chain up. Alternatively, I think if you had tires with that snowflake symbol you were exempt, but everyone else needed to put on chains. Think other areas have the same deal if conditions warrant it.
Yep, been there & learned that lesson the hard way. Just after high school we beat a storm going up to Big Bear without chains. Then when it was time to go home & nothing was going down the mountain without chains. Everyone in town was selling them & they were priced accordingly :sneaky:

It was still cheaper than staying the night. That's just one of those sadder but wiser lessons ;)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Curious, When I was doing the paperwork for my Bronco, I had to sign a document that stated I would only use cables and not chains.

Being in California, it's rare that you actually have to chain up a 4x4 with snow tires, however by law you're required to have snow traction with you regardless.

Spending over $200 to buy Cables just to meet the "must carry" rule is stupid.

I need the cheapest 315/70/R17 "legal snow traction device" I can find...any suggestions?

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious, When I was doing the paperwork for my Bronco, I had to sign a document that stated I would only use cables and not chains.

Being in California, it's rare that you actually have to chain up a 4x4 with snow tires, however by law you're required to have snow traction with you regardless.

Spending over $200 to buy Cables just to meet the "must carry" rule is stupid.

I need the cheapest 315/70/R17 "legal snow traction device" I can find...any suggestions?
Well, if you drive in deep snow at times, chains might just get you un-stuck, if you're unable to winch-out for whatever reason; $200 ain't so bad then.

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Since we have time on our hands.....
I have not had any experience with chains since high school in the '80s on a pinto no less.
I have thick skin so go ahead with the jokes. With the chains I could go on any unclear roads in my rural town with no issues (no offroading). So if you have time educate me on chains, cables, other options and the pros and cons. The best places to shop for them. and what is a V-bar. Thanks in advance for the info.

I am in KS but have family in CO and spend a lot of time there too. I hate how the shady spots on the passes ice up. Really wakes you up.
i worked on many Pinto's in HS auto shop. You could actually tune the heck out of them. Fun little cheap cars at the time.

I went with SCC Cable chains for my Braptor (37's), Will try and dry fit them soon, but the cables are made for limited clearance so it should work fine. Amazon sells them and has a size chart. Around 150.00 for the size for 37's.

Last edited:

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

i worked on many Pinto's in HS auto shop. You could actually tune the heck out of them. Fun little cheap cars at the time.

I went with SCC Cable chains for my Braptor (37's), Will try and dry fit them soon, but the cables are made for limited clearance so it should work fine. Amazon sells them and has a size chart. Around 150.00 for the size for 37's.
Really ..I can seem to find anything for under $200+. I did find some off shoot website that had ladder cables for $160.

Amazon $230 for 315/70/17
Security Chain Company SZ486 Super Z8 8mm Commercial and Light Truck Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2 https://a.co/d/3ATmRt9

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Really ..I can seem to find anything for under $200+. I did find some off shoot website that had ladder cables for $160.

Amazon $230 for 315/70/17
Security Chain Company SZ486 Super Z8 8mm Commercial and Light Truck Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2 https://a.co/d/3ATmRt9
I paid 173.00 last week on amazon. Now they show up as $241.00 when I just looked. Strange, must be all the recent snow Amazon decided to gouge people.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Strange that Ford recommends chains only on back, except for Sasquatch where it recommends none. Appears to be plenty of room on back tires.

Reactions: Cat

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I paid 173.00 last week on amazon. Now they show up as $241.00 when I just looked. Strange, must be all the recent snow Amazon decided to gouge people.

Ah that would explain it. Bad enough we got Bronco tax, now we have winter tax!