Sponsored

Tire Pressure Issue: Maximum PSI on door frame sticker higher than tire's manufacturer specs

LLL

Badlands
First Name
Lyndon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 21 Badlands 4 dr with sasquatch. Today I had it at Discount Tire for my second flat repair and the Discount Tire employee noticed something interesting. He asked me what pressure I run my tires at?
I run mine around 36 PSI.
He points out that the tire states the MAX pressure is 35 PSI.
The door frame sticker states the recommended pressure is 39 PSI.

Seems Ford is recommending a tire pressure greater than the max inflation pressure set by GoodYear for these tires.

The tire does have a disclaimer that 10 PSI over the max can be used when loaded, but my guess is that this should not be done all of the time.

Should I be running my tires at or below 35 PSI and not at the for recommended 39 PSI?

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg
Sponsored

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’d put 35. Like tire says

Reactions: LLL
OP
OP
LLL

LLL

Badlands
First Name
Lyndon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d put 35. Like tire says
I completely agree, I'll be running 35.
I just struggle to understand how ford can suggest a tire pressure over the max pressure recommended for the tire they use for the vehicle.

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You always default to the tire's numbers when the vehicle numbers exceeds them.

There are non-oem tires that have the max psi above 39psi...you then go with the 39psi that the vehicle has on the tag.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just struggle to understand how ford can suggest a tire pressure over the max pressure recommended for the tire they use for the vehicle.
Only thing I can guess it that the 39 psi is for a load range E tire. Not the C range it shows as the size

Sponsored

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They aren't. Read the tire again. It's a max load rating, not max pressure.

OP
OP
LLL

LLL

Badlands
First Name
Lyndon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You always default to the tire's numbers when the vehicle numbers exceeds them.

There are non-oem tires that have the max psi above 39psi...you then go with the 39psi that the vehicle has on the tag.
Agree, Again though, how does Ford put a sticker on the car recommending a pressure higher than what they tire they chose for the vehicle is?

My guess is that this sticker is for the not sasquatch tire, but still, it wouldn't be hard to put a different sticker on.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

35 PSI is the maximum tire pressure under the maximum tire load.

The tire is not under maximum load (2535 lbs).

Under stock configuration it is 1635 lbs maximum per front tire and 1535 lbs maximum per rear tire.

Last edited:

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It’s 4 psi over can‘t see that being a major problem. Tires fluctuate anyways from cold to hot 3-4 psi. I would follow the manufacturers guidelines which equates to handling and fuel economy.

Toffen

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 21 Badlands 4 dr with sasquatch. Today I had it at Discount Tire for my second flat repair and the Discount Tire employee noticed something interesting. He asked me what pressure I run my tires at?
I run mine around 36 PSI.
He points out that the tire states the MAX pressure is 35 PSI.
The door frame sticker states the recommended pressure is 39 PSI.

Seems Ford is recommending a tire pressure greater than the max inflation pressure set by GoodYear for these tires.

The tire does have a disclaimer that 10 PSI over the max can be used when loaded, but my guess is that this should not be done all of the time.

Should I be running my tires at or below 35 PSI and not at the for recommended 39 PSI?

Ford Bronco Tire Pressure Issue: Maximum PSI on door frame sticker higher than tire's manufacturer specs IMG_0911

Ford Bronco Tire Pressure Issue: Maximum PSI on door frame sticker higher than tire's manufacturer specs IMG_0911

Coming from a Jeep JKU with 34” BFG KM2s and hearing all the hype about how much better the Bronco’s ride was supposed to be, I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed…
my 4 door Sas Badlands rode horribly with the recommended 39 psi!
I could feel every pebble and expansion joint with a sharp jolt.
I have been running 35psi and it is a little better. (I think I’ll try 32 next to see if it improves)
My guess is that Ford recommends 39psi to try to eke out a little better fuel economy numbers…

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They aren't. Read the tire again. It's a max load rating, not max pressure.
This

35 PSI is the maximum tire pressure under the maximum tire load.

The tire is not under maximum load (2535 lbs).

EDIT: Under stock configuration it is 1635 lbs maximum per front tire and 1535 lbs maximum per rear tires.
And this.

The fact that the tech at Discount Tire can't make this distinction is troublesome. I suggest the OP finds a new tire shop. And somewhere between 32psi - 36psi is usually the sweet spot for 33's and 35's. As someone else mentioned, 39psi is meant to eek out the best mpg performance numbers, not the most comfortable ride.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I read it as the max tire pressure under max load conditions. So if you max out the load capacity on the tire; then you should run 35psi. But even for a tire that seams a really low max tire pressure. Most tires are around 50-60psi MAX. I'll stay at 40psi.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the max load is calculated using 35 PSIg inflation pressures. The tire quite clearly states you can go 10 PSI over that. 35PSIg is not the maximum pressure the tires can take, it is just where they calculated the rated maximum load. Like saying an engine makes its most power at 5100RPM, doesn't mean that is the redline.

45PSIg is the max pressure permitted per that sidewall info.
Sponsored