Brandt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All modern vehicles are equipped with TPMS systems. These can be super useful at alerting the driver about under or over-inflated tires. However, TPMS can also be an annoyance as tire PSI often changes with temperature. Here on the front range in Colorado days are warm and nights are cold resulting in regular TPMS warnings. My Subaru Forester doesn't have a reset button meaning when pressure is adjusted, I need to drive for 20-25 minutes before the system recallibrates. Im one of those who hate warning lights in the instrument panel.

This leads me to my question as to how modern off-road vehicles and the Bronco will handle TPMS? Like most I will lower my PSI when driving off-road which would automatically trigger TPMS in most vehicles. Do Jeep wranglers or other trucks have a TPMS override? Will I need to get used to seeing the TPMS light anytime I drive off-road? Do we know anything about how Broncos will deal with this?

If this has been addressed elsewhere I happy to be redirected.
Sponsored

N2AK

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1st gen 4runner, 1990 Toyota xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good question, I’m curious to hear what other chime in to say. I haven’t used an off-road vehicle with TPMS so I can’t help you with that. I’m with you that I don’t like seeing warning lights on the instrument cluster, sure hope there is an option to reset

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In all of the nanny systems this one is the worst.

My TPMS sensor goes off all winter. Either because I have winter tires with no sensors in, or, I have tires with sensors that are set off by temperature changes. In my old vehicle it would ding and flash constantly. Every time you start and then periodically.

It was always a nightmare getting the sensors to work when you swapped tires.

Get rid of the damn things. I'll check my own pressure. If you're to dumb and lazy to do it yourself that's on you and your wallet when you need new tires.

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In my experience, Ford TPMS works pretty well. Never had an issue, even with changing temps. The tires on my vehicles regularly flucuate between 33-37PSI and you can have this info permanently displayed in the gauge cluster area if you choose. You won't get a TPMS warning unless there's a significant change. For example, a double-digit drop. If you have the tires aired down on a trail for example, you'll get an alert every time you turn the vehicle on but you can dismiss the alert. Yes, the tire pressure light will be on but who cares? You'll know why it's on.

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jeep can use an AEV procal $100 to move TPMS warning threshold level down. Or even turn it completely off. On Jeep once it lights up it doesn’t bother you anymore and will still display each tire psi. Instant read out and no need to drive x miles to turn off old alarm.

Reactions: MJJ

Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All modern vehicles are equipped with TPMS systems. These can be super useful at alerting the driver about under or over-inflated tires. However, TPMS can also be an annoyance as tire PSI often changes with temperature. Here on the front range in Colorado days are warm and nights are cold resulting in regular TPMS warnings. My Subaru Forester doesn't have a reset button meaning when pressure is adjusted, I need to drive for 20-25 minutes before the system recallibrates. Im one of those who hate warning lights in the instrument panel.

This leads me to my question as to how modern off-road vehicles and the Bronco will handle TPMS? Like most I will lower my PSI when driving off-road which would automatically trigger TPMS in most vehicles. Do Jeep wranglers or other trucks have a TPMS override? Will I need to get used to seeing the TPMS light anytime I drive off-road? Do we know anything about how Broncos will deal with this?

If this has been addressed elsewhere I happy to be redirected.
If they're the same as the Ranger you will just get a warning light on the dash and a notification from the FordPass app. I usually air down to 18 lbs and that is what happens with mine.

As far as recalibrating I just had a tire patched and it recalibrated within a couple miles. Even when airing back up I can instantly see the psi results on the dash.

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a Focus RS, and the TPMSes worked quite well. I had two sets of wheels/tires (winter and summer) with sensors in each set and I didn't need to recode the car upon wheel swaps. Just needed to drive the car a few miles with the new set.

I had a leak in one after a cop waved me thru a not-so-well-cleaned car accident scene and a screw punctured my tire. TPMS went off after about a minute of leaking and gave me enough notice to get off the road before it went completely flat.

I can't speak to the off-road aspect, but I am happy with the Ford sensors and alarm system. They do what they are supposed to do.

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
What about having a 2nd set of wheels and tires with no sensors? How annoying is the light going to be?

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What about having a 2nd set of wheels and tires with no sensors? How annoying is the light going to be?
As long as you don't mind seeing this displayed and it doesn't beep I'm guessing not to annoying? It would drive me crazy with my OCD though.

Ford Bronco Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) TPMS Light

Sponsored

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ford did it right the TPMS threshold will change with GOAT mode selection. Some poor software programmer dude is probably getting the hey you in the next couple of minutes.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As long as you don't mind seeing this displayed and it doesn't beep I'm guessing not to annoying? It would drive me crazy with my OCD though.

Ford Bronco Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) TPMS Light
I get that light and a mssg that scrolls across my display in the King Ranch F-150 I have now . It is annoying as I have to press reset every time I start the truck to see my normal information .
My wifes Mercedes displays each wheel and allows you to set your own pressure range but it use to give mssgs constantly until we put nitrogen in the tires . It's been fine ever since . Nitrogen is not really a good option for off road if you air down often .

OP
OP
mr. snuffleupagus

mr. snuffleupagus

Badlands
First Name
Brandt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If Ford did it right the TPMS threshold will change with GOAT mode selection. Some poor software programmer dude is probably getting the hey you in the next couple of minutes.
Lets hope Ford is listening or they already thought of this!

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

yeah but then some yahoo Bronco owner will leave it in that mode and think its good to drive around with low air pressure until the tire comes off the wheel.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I love the way Mazda does it... no expensive sensors in the wheels, no extra charges when you have your tires replaces.. they simply use the ABS sensors to identify when 1 tire(s) is not spinning the same as the others.

If ford did this, airing down would not be an issue since all tires would still be spinning the same...AND it makes things simpler and cheaper for the consumer....
Oh wait... I just answered my own question >:)
Sponsored