BroncoActual

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ford did it right the TPMS threshold will change with GOAT mode selection. Some poor software programmer dude is probably getting the hey you in the next couple of minutes.
Lets hope Ford is listening or they already thought of this!
My 2018 Raptor does not change TPMS threshold with GOAT mode selection. When I offroad, it just chimes once on start-up and shows the yellow icon on the dash, but that's it...not too intrusive.

In normal every day, door jamb lists 38psi; I typically run 36F 32R. On these colder mornings, it'll dip down to 34/30 and I still don't get warnings
Sponsored

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2018 Raptor does not change TPMS threshold with GOAT mode selection. When I offroad, it just chimes once on start-up and shows the yellow icon on the dash, but that's it...not too intrusive.

In normal every day, door jamb lists 38psi; I typically run 36F 32R. On these colder mornings, it'll dip down to 34/30 and I still don't get warnings
Good to know. I got 3 Fords an 07, 13, and a 20. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever had one go off on start up that wasnā€™t there when I shut down. Usually 5-10 minutes out of the drive way and at about 28PSI. The 2020 might thankfully I havenā€™t had to deal with that.... Looking for wood

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

the factory threshold is 10psi

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love that the screenshot shows the TPMS light turned on.

As others have said, there's a pressure setpoint in the software. If a tire goes below that pressure, it turns on the light. The pressure setpoint isn't necessarily the door jamb number.

The pressure setpoint can be changed with ForScan.

I have TPMS sensors on all of my summer and winter wheels. Programming a new set is easy with the Ford tool, or if you're cheap you can get knockoff programmers for like $12.

I love the way Mazda does it... no expensive sensors in the wheels, no extra charges when you have your tires replaces.. they simply use the ABS sensors to identify when 1 tire(s) is not spinning the same as the others.

If ford did this, airing down would not be an issue since all tires would still be spinning the same...AND it makes things simpler and cheaper for the consumer....
Oh wait... I just answered my own question >:)
Indirect TPMS systems are very limited in usefulness. Mazda has gone back and forth between direct and indirect for some models. Because, as you note, they only point out a difference, they can't help you when all of your tires are low due to climate or temperature changes. They also take much longer to respond to pressure changes, as the pressure is derived from wheel speed and they have to account for error in that reading.

The big Firestone/Ford Explorer debacle happened in part due to running tires underinflated heating up the tires too much and causing breakdown. An indirect system would not see this problem where a direct TPMS system would.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Nice, do you know if is it like a change of 10 over a certain period of time or 10 from the door sticker?
door sticker determines starting point, with Forscan you can change the threshold number so hopefully with the Bronco fi they dont control with a goat mode, set it larger so you could air down to x psi and not have the dummy light come on.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

True about the Mazdas... so question about the Ford.... can't you just lower the pressures down to your lowest number, and press some sort of "Set" button to lock in that pressure? Then pump them back up?

It's been a awhile but I think that is what I used to do on my Toyota.

DesertChip

Badlands
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Q5, 2017 GTI, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As long as you don't mind seeing this displayed and it doesn't beep I'm guessing not to annoying? It would drive me crazy with my OCD though.

TPMS Light.jpg
A little black tape over the indicator will make it go away!

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
True about the Mazdas... so question about the Ford.... can't you just lower the pressures down to your lowest number, and press some sort of "Set" button to lock in that pressure? Then pump them back up?

It's been a awhile but I think that is what I used to do on my Toyota.
No set button. You can use Forscan and an OBD device to change the minimum pressure in the computer.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No set button. You can use Forscan and an OBD device to change the minimum pressure in the computer.
Gotcha... crazy talk. Every car I've had (obviously not Fords) that had TPMS, regardless of how they went about it, had a Set\Reset button on it.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've made the psi adjustments on both my f150 & wife's grand cherokee so the sensors are not triggered when I air down.
Sponsored