First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So I have never gone anywhere I think I might get stuck, as it doesnt sound that great to me. So my Wrangler Sport has done the job just fine now and my F150 in the past.

Watching a bunch of videos, comparing Traction control, to lockers. Lockers in general, got through the obstacle better or faster, to could where the others couldnt. That being said, most of the videos I found most applicable to me, were with fairly conservative tires.

Question, given the Big Bend and the Black Diamond, both stock as they are, which would be more capable. Black Diamond with the stock tires, or Big Bend with a very aggressive tire used only for some more difficult trails?

Pretty open and vague question, but comes down to do tires make more difference than lockers in a more NW slippery time trail situation?
Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A locker will let you do some amazing things in a controlled fashion. Lock it up!

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Both. Depending on what you are going to do and what your conditions are. Judgment we all make according to our individual circumstances. Go with what you anticipate your needs are and what they will be, same as the rest of us...

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I have never gone anywhere I think I might get stuck, as it doesnt sound that great to me. So my Wrangler Sport has done the job just fine now and my F150 in the past.

Watching a bunch of videos, comparing Traction control, to lockers. Lockers in general, got through the obstacle better or faster, to could where the others couldnt. That being said, most of the videos I found most applicable to me, were with fairly conservative tires.

Question, given the Big Bend and the Black Diamond, both stock as they are, which would be more capable. Black Diamond with the stock tires, or Big Bend with a very aggressive tire used only for some more difficult trails?

Pretty open and vague question, but comes down to do tires make more difference than lockers in a more NW slippery time trail situation?
Black Diamond for sure! You can get the rear locker as a Big Bend option, but we're assuming you don't here.

When your wheels are spinning on a slippery surface there won't be much your tire tread can do about it. Engage the rear locker so both rear wheels have equal power and you'll be on your way. The General Grabbers on the BD are plenty aggressive and with the locker will crush a Big Bend with super mud terrains and no locker.

The rear locker is the best bang for the buck ($800-ish) piece of off road kit you can get. No one should buy a Big Bend without it!

Last edited:

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The locker is great to have, but you're in Vancouver, so if you're going to be driving in PNW rain and snow you wont use the locker as often, well maybe. Look at videos of rigs with lockers in your conditions. Lockers are great, but there are times and places where they're not. It's probably better to have tires than a locker if your need is commuting in rain or running in the snow. Lockers can be known as low-side finders in snow. There are times open diffs might spin one tire but the other provides lateral stability. A selectable locker is nice, but knowing when to use it is important.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Tough question you must be an FAA examiner!
Both they work together awsomely ,at least have a rear locker that will get you most places easily.

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m only here to say hello neighbor! Camas here!

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You’ve already gotten some good replies. The rear locker is optional on BB and standard on BD. It shouldn’t be a question of whether to get it on the BB - do it. Then you’re just deciding which trim has the other features or options you’re after.

Maybe think along these lines - you can easily replace tires, and eventually will need to do so regardless. Adding a locker later is much more difficult and more expensive.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Locker is the way to go for real 4wd trails.

Big tires look nice at the mall.

Lol really both help on the trail but lockers make a bigger difference.

Sponsored

Jwall

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

37” MT’s get me through 90% of everything i come across. Lockers make it “point and shoot” on the other 10% too. It’s pretty crazy to struggle on something, flip a switch, then crawl right up.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Like some others said, it depends on the situation.
In thick mud, a locker won't help if you are on street tires. But throw on some super swampers with open difs, you can go a lot further. Add the locker and it's even better.
Back in the 1990's I went with a buddy of mine on a off road trip to the Berkshires with a local jeep club in is F&R locked Ranger pick up clad with super swampers. There was another Ranger, open difs with brand new 33" BFG Mud Terrains (old style). We were behind him most of the time and we were just amazed how good he did with brand new mud tires and no lockers.

OP
OP

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for all the replies. Probably the cheapest insurance I could get. My wife keeps telling me to quit screwing around and get the Bad Boy as she calls it. I am rather drawn to the BD with steelies though.

Likely I will only take it on the Washington overland trail, some of my old hunting haunts, and a trip to Moab (but no trails where I would bang stuff up, I just am too cheap for that. lol)

CarbonBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota $runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
id dont know if you guys are into R/C 's i personally play with R/C's with my son some Traxxas TRx4's to be exact. these R/C's have the capablity to lock and unlock the diferentials. locking these R/C diffs makes a world of difference when crawling with them or getting out of tight spots. i would apply this to real life as well. lockers now and dont look back.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

In a situation where all your tires are on the ground (mud, snow) tires or chains are probably most important. In the rocks where one or more tires may be airborne (due to lack of articulation) a locker is probably more important, Neither will help much if your hung up on an obstacle due to lack of ground clearance, really my only complaint the Bronco...damn, just talked myself back into the Sasquatch!
Sponsored