Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
  • Banned
Anyone else with a MIC 1.0 thinking about the long road? Like, maybe not even going in for the new one? Is it even possible to keep your MIC 1.0 and still get the replacement?

Decades later, a true classic 2021 Bronco might be one with the MIC 1.0, despite its flaws, just because it’s so early and even more rare because it still has the original MIC 1.0.

I know most people will jump at the new top, which makes sense and I get it, but I’m thinking long-term. Anyone else?
Sponsored

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yea hello? Keep that. Automatic collectors item. Keep all the recall notices too so you have the documentation that it’s an 1.0 top.
Interesting idea. I asked my dealer if I might be able to keep my existing top as a backup and still get the replacement, and he said no. Ford will require you to turn in the old one if you want to get the new one. The reason being, the whole point is to get the poor quality ones off the street, which makes sense.

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well it would depends on where you live. I know some states require you to have recalls completed prior to renewing your registration but I don’t know if that applies to all recalls or just safety and emissions. I believe this is a customer satisfaction recall. Also for warranty work for requires us( technicians) to return the replaced part to our parts department and they have to hold onto the part until Ford notify parts that they want it back or it can destroyed. Now given what I would assume to be the astronomical cost of shipping a hardtop back to ford, I highly doubt the will want it back and also I highly doubt the parts departments will want it sitting and taking up room. Best suggestion I can offer is stop in your dealer and talk to the parts manager.

Sponsored

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was thinking take off the MIC 1.0 at home and go collect the 2.0. Keep the spare parts if they fit. I know MFs that have a cache of F-body t-tops & rear hatch glass, and sell them for their weight in gold.

In a few years someone needs a driver front roof panel, and bam someone just scored a viable replacement.

Bronco Finder

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150 , Broncos 76, 75, 72, 72, 68, 67, 66
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As a classic bronco restorer , I can tell you that just because the top came with your bronco its not going to make it worth any more, after time most guys go topless or even soft top ,besides that after 45 years or so most original tops are rusted out, who know how long the MIC tops will even hold out.
I can put a top off a 72 and put it on a 76 and the only thing anyone cares about is what condition it is in and dose it leak.

OP
OP
Blue's B6G

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
  • Banned
As a classic bronco restorer , I can tell you that just because the top came with your bronco its not going to make it worth any more, after time most guys go topless or even soft top ,besides that after 45 years or so most original tops are rusted out, who know how long the MIC tops will even hold out.
I can put a top off a 72 and put it on a 76 and the only thing anyone cares about is what condition it is in and dose it leak.
Thanks! Just what I was looking for. I’m obviously not keeping it in classic condition, but there’s still something that tells me there might be value down the road in keeping this thing as stock as possible.

OP
OP
Blue's B6G

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
  • Banned
I never get my recalls fixed. Makes all my vehicles worth SO much more
I’m never selling this Bronco, so...

And I’m much more interested in the classic value of the 2021 Bronco down the road than changing it.

Last edited:

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting idea. I asked my dealer if I might be able to keep my existing top as a backup and still get the replacement, and he said no. Ford will require you to turn in the old one if you want to get the new one. The reason being, the whole point is to get the poor quality ones off the street, which makes sense.
Ford doesn't want to see them end up on Craigslist being sold to unsuspecting buyers.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If it was allowed I would want to keep one for hacking up. Like putting porthole windows in or doing storage solutions in place of the side windows. Making a hard shell with soft side windows, or cutting drilling and reinforcing till you end up with some capable of hauling lumber. Thats what I did with various tops on old CJs.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
First of all MIC tops are plastic so they ain’t gonna rust out. 2nd. As a car enthusiast I can absolutely tell you that 2021 ford bronco will be a historic era of time for cars and it will absolutely be worth more because we will all tell our grandkids about this and MIC 1.0 will be a historic representation of this time. Has nothing to do with restoration.
for example. Look at my profile pic. Youthink someone that has a Baja bronco without the original rubberized steering wheel is going to be worth more or less than one with out.

Packman

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang Pace Car
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Anyone else with a MIC 1.0 thinking about the long road? Like, maybe not even going in for the new one? Is it even possible to keep your MIC 1.0 and still get the replacement?

Decades later, a true classic 2021 Bronco might be one with the MIC 1.0, despite its flaws, just because it’s so early and even more rare because it still has the original MIC 1.0.

I know most people will jump at the new top, which makes sense and I get it, but I’m thinking long-term. Anyone else?
If you are happy with your MIC 1.0, you could make a little $$ selling your 2.0 to someone who ordered the soft-top to speed up their order.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm pretty sure nobody is going to drive away with a 2.0 without leaving their 1.0 behind, no exceptions. Why would Ford allow that? Somebody could try to sell it off as a 2.0, as they look the same, all kinds of negative things could happen, not one good one. They'll toss them into recycling (I hope) and try to forget about this ordeal.
Sponsored