Sponsored

To Sasquatch or not to Sasquatch, lots of Cons!

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Am I willing to sacrifice a few dollars a month extra for gas and a few dollars every couple of years for tires to get the Squatch look??
You betcha!?

Is it noisy?
Sasquatchs are not known to be squeaky quiet creatures?.

They go boldly and look awesome standing in the Target parking lot amongst the little quiet little red riding hoods?
Sponsored

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Squatch comes with more than just the 35" tires. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that 35" tires might be the least important part of the Sasquatch package, even though they're the most visible thing. Squatch also comes with:

1. Dana 210 front suspension.
2. Front locker.
3. Rear locker.
4. 4.7:1 final drive ratio.
5. Slight lift over stock (half inch or so, I think, the rest of the clearance difference is tires).
6. High clearance fender flares.

If I could get the first 4 things from the factory without the Sasquatch package, I might never worry about the other two and 35" tires.

But looking at the comparison PDF from ford, the only way to get locking diffs on the Base trim is with Sasquatch, which means upgrading to Big Bend or higher.

Big Bend can get the rear locker as an option, but can't get front without Squatch, which means stepping up even farther.

Black Diamond comes standard with the rear locker, but still can't get the front locker without Sasquatch.

In fact, the only way to get a front locker without Sasquatch is to go Badlands or higher.

How important is a front locker, really? Not at all until you need it, I'm sure. The question then becomes "how hard is it to add after the fact?" If it's a bolt-on part that any idiot can install, it might be worth waiting on. If it requires more knowhow than reading simple directions and turning a wrench, I'd rather have it done at the factory and have a warranty on it than paying some local mechanic to do it and hope they back their work.

Oh, and there's one more thing included in the Sasquatch package that you can't get without Sasquatch until you get to the Badlands or higher: The Bilstein Position Sensitive Dampers. I'm not sure that's actually a big deal, but it is another thing you get in addition to the 35s.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I DD my truck and jeep (both w/ 35" MT tires) at highway speeds of 65-75mph for my commute of 27 miles each way to work.
-In my truck (w/ 6" lift) with the windows close, I can barely hear them (they have 40k miles on them), truck rides like a Cadillac and the radio volume is not even close to being maxed out. I didn't re-gear and the 3.5EB flat out hauls a** even up the mountain passes without skipping a beat.
-In my jeep, yes the tires are louder due to sitting much closer to the tires (they have 10k miles on them), open exposed aftermarket fenders & soft top. Even driving it with the doors off and safari top on, traveling at 65-75mph to/from work, I have the radio on, close to 85% volume and the tires don't bother me one bit.

My wife will be getting a 4dr Badsquatch and she's fully aware of the ride on 35" tires. Her KO2 tires have just become loud (45k miles on them) in her grand Cherokee and I strongly feel they're louder than my MT on my truck.

Yes the 35" tires/wheels are heavier but in some cases and it varies by brands as well, going from 33" to 35" even switching to aftermarket wheels, the change can be minimal if done right. For example, when I was looking at going from stock jeep wheels and 33" tires to 37" tires and aftermarket wheels, the larger tires and new wheels came in at a 15lb combined weight increase per corner and that was going from 33" to 37".

Sponsored

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Squatch comes with more than just the 35" tires. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that 35" tires might be the least important part of the Sasquatch package, even though they're the most visible thing. Squatch also comes with:

2. Front locker.
3. Rear locker.
5. Slight lift over stock (half inch or so, I think, the rest of the clearance difference is tires).

If I could get the first 4 things from the factory without the Sasquatch package, I might never worry about the other two and 35" tires.

But looking at the comparison PDF from ford, the only way to get locking diffs on the Base trim is with Sasquatch, which means upgrading to Big Bend or higher.

Big Bend can get the rear locker as an option, but can't get front without Squatch, which means stepping up even farther.

Black Diamond comes standard with the rear locker, but still can't get the front locker without Sasquatch.

In fact, the only way to get a front locker without Sasquatch is to go Badlands or higher.

How important is a front locker, really? Not at all until you need it, I'm sure. The question then becomes "how hard is it to add after the fact?" If it's a bolt-on part that any idiot can install, it might be worth waiting on. If it requires more knowhow than reading simple directions and turning a wrench, I'd rather have it done at the factory and have a warranty on it than paying some local mechanic to do it and hope they back their work.

Oh, and there's one more thing included in the Sasquatch package that you can't get without Sasquatch until you get to the Badlands or higher: The Bilstein Position Sensitive Dampers. I'm not sure that's actually a big deal, but it is another thing you get in addition to the 35s.
You can get the first four things on the list if you order a Badlands trim. And you get the upgraded suspension. I know the 4.7 gears are only if you stick with the manual transmission, but you can get those things without the Sasquatch package. The bump stops/extra .5 inch of height for clearance is easily done later if you want it, although I think it's debatable if it's needed.

Add 35 inch tires after you wear out your 33's and you've got a Sasquatch package without sasquatching it from the factory, and you get the manual transmission if that's your jam. :)

GeneralBoisvert

Badlands
First Name
Sheik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are all clear that the "baby" Sasquash mentioned is a stock Badlands right? It comes with the 210/220s Axles, 33s K02s, lockers, etc.

WhatsKraken

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There seems to be several good points made regarding pros and cons to consider, but my main concern is how the drive will be with 35s on streets and highway. I'm buying the Bronco for off-roading like many others, I'm not looking for a luxury ride, but I will do more driving on road, than off, unfortunately. I'm also new to off-roading, so everything I've learned is second hand from blogs, articles etc. I'm between Badlands 33s or upgrading to squatch. I'd love to get more opinions on those who drive or have driven on 35" muds and if indeed they typically do worse in the snow, rain, and really shouldn't be driven on the road...

Last edited:

BadSquatch21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover and Porsches; '22 Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Being that I want a Badlands Sasquatch manual, if they don't offer it, the $2500 saved easily will pay for the aftermarket beadlocks with 35's and the factory extended flares after selling the 33" tire/wheel takeoffs. If I still want/need a slight lift I'm sure aftermarket will take care of it ASAP.

Sponsored

RAB123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RUBICON , 1980 BLAZER , OWNED LIKE 4 OF THE ORIGINAL BRONCOS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
all good points , I think it will be a good choice no matter which version you choose , I'm pretty sure today I'm down for the base plus the sasq , I'm not much for all the creature comforts and I think I know how to drive and don't need the software driving it for me . If I kne the 3.o or a V-8 tubo was next door I would wait the extra year , but its all a gamble in where and how it's going to evolve .

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You mean there is no replacement for displacement
There are plenty of replacements for displacement! And the displacement difference between 2.3 and 2.7 ltr is only about 25 cubic inches. (140 and 165, respectively)

Full disclosure: I say this as somebody owning a FE 390 bored out to about 430 cubic inches. 8 mpg (with a tail wind) on 91 octane never tasted so good!

Streetfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Goodyear territory that comes with the Sasquatch package is NOT a MT tire. I am not sure why ford used MT but Goodyear said MT stands for max traction on this tire.
That is amazing news. It's an all-terrain? Sold me in sasquatch if true

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m heavily leaning 2.3 manual so no squatch unless they decide to offer it but I will likely do aftermarket lift, tires wheels assuming the 4.46 gears will be adequate

ndumlao72

Base
First Name
Nestor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma & 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base

2. Front locker.
3. Rear locker.

Well said, tires can be replaced at any good tire shop, finding a good off road shop to swap out gears install lockers suspension is a whole different matter
Sponsored