Sponsored

To Sasquatch or not to Sasquatch, lots of Cons!

dck82

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That is amazing news. It's an all-terrain? Sold me in sasquatch if true
I didn’t know this either. I’m sold. Basquatch all the way. For under 40k, I’ll smile all the way to the bank.
Sponsored

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with many of your points. I will probably end up getting the Badlands with the 33" A/T's for many of the reasons you listed above. But I did want to clarify one of your points..

"5) Beadlock rims require maintainance - Beadlocks need to have bolts tightened and adjusted regularly. Tire swapping and maintenance will be difficult as many places won't be comfortable doing this work. I'm not big on maintaining things, so this is a pain for me.

Ford sells you "Beadlock capable" rims. Essentially, when you received these wheels from the factory, they are exactly like normal wheels. However, if you desire to, you can purchases beadlock rings from Ford. To make the beadlock capable wheels perform like beadlocks, you remove a fascia ring around the wheels, you unseat the tire bead, install the beadlock rings and clamp down on the tire bead.

Just wanted to clarify this. Ford is not allowed to sell you fully beadlock wheels from the factory (per DoT rules). They sell beadlock capable wheels on the Raptor and Bronco to give people an option without needing to fully install all new wheels. There are a few videos on youtube to get you an idea how the conversion works.
I've been doing a little digging on the bead lock capable wheels and since you seem informed i've got a question. What is the point of having the bead lock capable wheels if you can't legally drive them to your wheeling destination? How do people who regularly rock crawl install their bead locks? Do they do it at the trail head or do they just drive with the bead locks clamped on and not worry about DOT regulations? I'm just looking at it from the liability side of things in the I don't want to install bead locks and then have an insurance company refuse to cover me if something happens with driving with non DOT approved wheels. Thanks for your input!

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You can get the first four things on the list if you order a Badlands trim. And you get the upgraded suspension. I know the 4.7 gears are only if you stick with the manual transmission, but you can get those things without the Sasquatch package. The bump stops/extra .5 inch of height for clearance is easily done later if you want it, although I think it's debatable if it's needed.

Add 35 inch tires after you wear out your 33's and you've got a Sasquatch package without sasquatching it from the factory, and you get the manual transmission if that's your jam. :)
All true. Some of us have bad knees and can't take mashing on a clutch repeatedly, though. :(

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Well said, tires can be replaced at any good tire shop, finding a good off road shop to swap out gears install lockers suspension is a whole different matter
Yep. There are certain things I'm willing to do on my own, certain things I'm willing to have done at a shop, and certain things I'd rather have done at the factory. Gearing is a thing I'd rather have done at the factory.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are plenty of replacements for displacement! And the displacement difference between 2.3 and 2.7 ltr is only about 25 cubic inches. (140 and 165, respectively)

Full disclosure: I say this as somebody owning a FE 390 bored out to about 430 cubic inches. 8 mpg (with a tail wind) on 91 octane never tasted so good!

And 8 MPG's don't mean a damn thing when you stomp that skinny pedal on the right. Along with the sweet sound of a big block Ford.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Am I willing to sacrifice a few dollars a month extra for gas and a few dollars every couple of years for tires to get the Squatch look??
You betcha!?

Is it noisy?
Sasquatchs are not known to be squeaky quiet creatures?.

They go boldly and look awesome standing in the Target parking lot amongst the little quiet little red riding hoods?
Sadly in reality that's where many of these Sasquatches will spend their time. A buddy of mine bought a fully loaded Rubicon three years ago and has never really taken it offroad. It's like a play acting vehicle for grownups. Very expensive play acting. I said if he doesn't take that rig off-road and put at least one ding in the body or skidplate having some adventure, I'm stopping by with a hammer to add some dents! :)

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is vehicle that's one can take off the roof and doors, it really wasn't meant to be quite, one can grab a garden hose and just go to town on the interior, vehicles like this as well as more so for the Wrangler; don't buy this for comfort this isn't that great of commuter as it's ment to go through Moab and go through the Rubicon trail. My best comparison can be you wouldn't take a F1 car to the grocery store?

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
People drive with them. No one is going to pull you over and ask if your wheels are DOT approved.

Btw most tire shops are not going to touch your beadlock wheels. There is a raptor owner on you tube who has a video showing you how to mount a beadlock wheel. I will post it here when I find it.

I've been doing a little digging on the bead lock capable wheels and since you seem informed i've got a question. What is the point of having the bead lock capable wheels if you can't legally drive them to your wheeling destination? How do people who regularly rock crawl install their bead locks? Do they do it at the trail head or do they just drive with the bead locks clamped on and not worry about DOT regulations? I'm just looking at it from the liability side of things in the I don't want to install bead locks and then have an insurance company refuse to cover me if something happens with driving with non DOT approved wheels. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They tow if it's extreme build or they just drive it, I have never heard of someone getting pulled over for driving with beadlocks, I more worried about all the other technically illegal stuff I have... Utah doesn't allow a lot(light bars at all, no tire past the fender at all, no exhaust modification/replacement and many more) now that fake beadlocks and beadlock capable wheels are kinda everywhere no cop will ever pull you over

Sponsored

steevenk

Black Diamond
First Name
kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '14 Subaru Forester XT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Squatch comes with more than just the 35" tires. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that 35" tires might be the least important part of the Sasquatch package, even though they're the most visible thing. Squatch also comes with:

1. Dana 210 front suspension.
2. Front locker.
3. Rear locker.
4. 4.7:1 final drive ratio.
5. Slight lift over stock (half inch or so, I think, the rest of the clearance difference is tires).
6. High clearance fender flares.

If I could get the first 4 things from the factory without the Sasquatch package, I might never worry about the other two and 35" tires.

But looking at the comparison PDF from ford, the only way to get locking diffs on the Base trim is with Sasquatch, which means upgrading to Big Bend or higher.

Big Bend can get the rear locker as an option, but can't get front without Squatch, which means stepping up even farther.

Black Diamond comes standard with the rear locker, but still can't get the front locker without Sasquatch.

In fact, the only way to get a front locker without Sasquatch is to go Badlands or higher.

How important is a front locker, really? Not at all until you need it, I'm sure. The question then becomes "how hard is it to add after the fact?" If it's a bolt-on part that any idiot can install, it might be worth waiting on. If it requires more knowhow than reading simple directions and turning a wrench, I'd rather have it done at the factory and have a warranty on it than paying some local mechanic to do it and hope they back their work.

Oh, and there's one more thing included in the Sasquatch package that you can't get without Sasquatch until you get to the Badlands or higher: The Bilstein Position Sensitive Dampers. I'm not sure that's actually a big deal, but it is another thing you get in addition to the 35s.
I feel the same way. My current build in my mind is 4dr Base with Sas and 2.7L. This would be for everything you mentioned so I will find someone local to swap wheels and tire so I can come down to 33”.

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Goodyear territory that comes with the Sasquatch package is NOT a MT tire. I am not sure why ford used MT but Goodyear said MT stands for max traction on this tire.
Just checked the Tire Rack website and 315/70R17 MT/Rs are Kevlar reinforced and $341 each.

The Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar® (MT/R - Maximum Traction/Reinforced) is Goodyear's Off-Road Maximum Traction tire developed for light truck driving enthusiasts who take off-road traction seriously. The Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar is designed to increase tire toughness when it conquers mud, crawls over rocks and explores trails.

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco is going to stun folks because of how great it is but, it’s also going to surprise a bunch of people who think it is going to drive like a RAV4, CRV, Explorer, or Lexus RX.
So true, people will like the looks but it's no crossover and for good reason it won't drive like one. People might hate that Ford made the Bronco Sport, that it might water down the Bronco name. The Bronco Sport will be great for those people that would look at a RAV4 or Escape or CR-V etc.

Jeraeyguy84

Outer Banks
First Name
Ter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge charger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
33s for me. Thank you!! I was going back and forth on what size I wanted.
Sponsored