Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Happy birthday btw. Mine was a few days ago too. High five ✋

Yeah I saw Nickp’s detective skills ?

As for the bar I’m still not sure how thats going to work. Will it help a lift of get in the way and what exactly is it doing other then making things a little more stable?
that is called the panhard or track bar. it is what provides the side to side location of the axle. there are two trailing arms that provide front to back, and of course the coil springs the up to down location. leaf springs didn't need one, they can provide location in all three. basically it is a 3 link suspension.

however as the axle cycles, it will move in different directions than just up and down. for this setup, if the axle cycles up (hits a bump), it will move slightly back, and towards the passenger side. if it goes down, it will do the opposite. the front to back motion is desirable, the side to side not so much, but the only way to prevent that is to go to a triangulated 4-link, or a different type of 3 link that is very similiar to the triangulated 4 link.

As for lifts, all these jacked up F-250s you see since 2003 have this same setup in the front. You preferably need to lower the panhard/track as well to reduce the power steer. honestly though I won't be surprised if many of the aftermarket lift kits of at least 4" have an option to change to the more prefferable type of 3-link or even triang 4-links if there is room.
Sponsored

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

that is called the panhard or track bar. it is what provides the side to side location of the axle. there are two trailing arms that provide front to back, and of course the coil springs the up to down location. leaf springs didn't need one, they can provide location in all three. basically it is a 3 link suspension.

however as the axle cycles, it will move in different directions than just up and down. for this setup, if the axle cycles up (hits a bump), it will move slightly back, and towards the passenger side. if it goes down, it will do the opposite. the front to back motion is desirable, the side to side not so much, but the only way to prevent that is to go to a triangulated 4-link, or a different type of 3 link that is very similiar to the triangulated 4 link.

As for lifts, all these jacked up F-250s you see since 2003 have this same setup in the front. You preferably need to lower the panhard/track as well to reduce the power steer. honestly though I won't be surprised if many of the aftermarket lift kits of at least 4" have an option to change to the more prefferable type of 3-link or even triang 4-links if there is room.
Thanks, that explains it well. I guess I’m not used to seeing one that long and that low. Or maybe I’m just over analyzing these days. God I can’t wait to see it in action.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, that explains it well. I guess I’m not used to seeing one that long and that low. Or maybe I’m just over analyzing these days. God I can’t wait to see it in action.
here is a decent article.

note that that top picture is a horribly setup design.
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/0804st-rear-suspension-design/

at least for offroad applications, or any application capable of putting down some power, but it looks to be on a chevy, so it can neither off road or apply power, so I guess it is sufficient.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll add, on SFA with the panhard/track, you HAVE to lower the panhard bar the same amount that you lower the steering cross over. otherwise you get very bad bump steer. On my 250 there is about a 2" different in height over a 10" drop, so very slight, but evident, and that bump steer is pretty bad, it makes a big difference. I am at least used to it enough that I know how much bump steer I'll get when I approach a bump or dip at speed and can properly correct for it.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll add, on SFA with the panhard/track, you HAVE to lower the panhard bar the same amount that you lower the steering cross over. otherwise you get very bad bump steer. On my 250 there is about a 2" different in height over a 10" drop, so very slight, but evident, and that bump steer is pretty bad, it makes a big difference. I am at least used to it enough that I know how much bump steer I'll get when I approach a bump or dip at speed and can properly correct for it.
So on a stock set up like this this is fairly ideal.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
for my reference to the modern SFA 250s, and similiar to our TTB trucks as well, are the radius arms, while these behave much like a 3-link, technically they aren't 3-link suspensions because the raius arms mount at two points on the axle (above and below). these are more akin to ladder bar suspensions, and have a host of issues for high travel and high lift applications, largely dealing with driveshaft angles and picot center, but that's alot more in depth.

I am not sure EXACTLY what suspension the Bronco has in it, because it does look like trailing arms, and while you CAN use the panhard as the true third link, where it also provides rotational stability (keep the axle from rolling), many times it isn't, and a truck would use a 3-link PLUS a panhard/track bar, which is technically a 4-link but isn't really called that. I have not seen a picture yet that shows an upper three link, and if it is there there are a couple of ways it could be setup, that could be good or bad or just ok, especially when it comes to lift and articulation. I am pretty sure it DOES NOT have a wishbone 3rd link, because then you would not need the pandhard, so if it has one it is a simple link, and knowing OEMs, it is probably mounted too low on the axle for 35"+ tires

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So on a stock set up like this this is fairly ideal.
no. it is acceptable. nowhere near ideal. Ideal would be a wishbone 3-link or triangulated 4-link, with a parallel 4-link with panhard/track slightly below those.

it is possible we are getting a parallel 4-link here with a panhard/track, I have not seen evidence against it, other than the length of the lower links being typically too short for that setup, but it is possible, and that would be absolutely amazing for a stock vehicle.

bsb78

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
@laj.tuxmek said (in another thread I believe) something to the effect...... that those who want a drop down tailgate would be taken care of, but it didn't come across to me that there would be a Dual Hinge Setup.

Well.... I personally want a Drop Down Tailgate and the Spare Tire carrier to be Body or Frame Mounted. Yes I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW what some of you will say....... But...but...but... you'll have to swing the spare tire out of the way to open the tailgate!!!!! Booo Hoo!!!!! That's not a big deal to me. All of the prior Bronco's with the rear tire carrier were body mounted. Also, there's the nostalgia of riding on the tailgate during my youth. For those of you who have never ridden on the tailgate, you'll never know. It's the BEST RIDING SPOT PERIOD!

So, I'm hoping that if the 2021 Bronco doesn't atleast have a Dual Hinged Tailgate, maybe the 2022 Bronco will, as I'm not settling for some afterthought jump seat or slideout to set on.

Oh... I forgot to add..... A Swinging Gate SCREAMS WRANGLER!!!!!!! :p
Y’all will be excited to see what Ford has up their sleeve in a few days. just gotta hang in there for a few more days.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

We are less than a week away from the reveal and the more I see, the more fascinated I get... It appears this thing will be much more modular/customizable than any of us anticipated. ie, tailgate option AND swing gate option.
The hopeful wish is a combination dual-action tailgate/swing gate, like the Honda Ridgeline, not one or the other.

BroAD

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sooooo... is the cyber orange close to a caterpillar yellow? I’m not a fan Of cyber orange from the early pics but these Pics seem closer to caterpillar yellow which I like.
To be honest, I think it looks like NYC Taxi Cab Yellow... maybe that was intentional so the Bronco can double as a signaling panel when we get lost in back country.

Sponsored

BroAD

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@laj.tuxmek said (in another thread I believe) something to the effect...... that those who want a drop down tailgate would be taken care of, but it didn't come across to me that there would be a Dual Hinge Setup.

Well.... I personally want a Drop Down Tailgate and the Spare Tire carrier to be Body or Frame Mounted. Yes I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW what some of you will say....... But...but...but... you'll have to swing the spare tire out of the way to open the tailgate!!!!! Booo Hoo!!!!! That's not a big deal to me. All of the prior Bronco's with the rear tire carrier were body mounted. Also, there's the nostalgia of riding on the tailgate during my youth. For those of you who have never ridden on the tailgate, you'll never know. It's the BEST RIDING SPOT PERIOD!

So, I'm hoping that if the 2021 Bronco doesn't atleast have a Dual Hinged Tailgate, maybe the 2022 Bronco will, as I'm not settling for some afterthought jump seat or slideout to set on.

Oh... I forgot to add..... A Swinging Gate SCREAMS WRANGLER!!!!!!! :p
Maybe what @laj.tuxmek was referring when he said we’d be taken care of was referring to the Bronco truck that’s in the horizon?

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
To be honest, I think it looks like NYC Taxi Cab Yellow... maybe that was intentional so the Bronco can double as a signaling panel when we get lost in back country.
Man, with a white roof and white steelies and dog dish hubcaps...This orange is gonna look like FIRE.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
here the panhard is parallel, which is great news, that other pic it wasn't, but it was moving and I guess could've been taken during some suspension droop.