Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

if Toyota improved the style of the 4runner TRD so that it wasn't so ugly, would anyone even look at Ford?
Totally agree. Not sure why people like the current gen 4Runner so much. Even in the trd trim, it looks well, like a turd. Reliable yes. Ugly? Hell yes.
Sponsored

broncojimmy

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Didn't we have this earlier today?
Haha, yes, that was me. Debating Big Bend vs TRD Off-Road. Although I have a week before I have to pull trigger on converting my reservation into an order :)

broncoSJ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can't take the roof off the TRD Pro and if you want 35s, you will need major mods to the suspension (there goes the few thousand in savings). Buy American. Bronco all day.

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2012 Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just off hand, you seem like someone who heavily prioritizes reliability. I love the Bronco but as with any first model year car, there will be some “quirks”. I am fully expecting there to be some issues here and there because of all that is new on this vehicle. I doubt/hope there won’t be anything major, but definitely some software bugs and things like that.

If you feel that you cannot accept that type of stuff, I’d go TRD.
yes, this is part of the concern but with the 1st year Telluride I bought my wife, I had zero worries and it has been phenomenal.

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Haha, yes, that was me. Debating Big Bend vs TRD Off-Road. Although I have a week before I have to pull trigger on converting my reservation into an order :)
Which way are you leaning? No roof rack on squatch and less towing are a question mark for me as well. After speaking with my wife last night she’s got me going the less reasonable/more fun Bronco route.

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You mentioned Ford's twin turbo v6 like it's a bad thing. Hasn't that been a great motor for Ford??

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Put off your decision until 2022. Drive a showroom model first. This is a 50k decision. Waiting may be in your best interest

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Brand New styling or Old and out-dated? Which do you want?
‘16 is out dated? In that case the ‘11 ranger is ancient. And the Bronco is retro styled sooo....

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Didn't read the whole thread but how old are the kids? Do you really want to give up this coming summer while waiting for the Bronco if one is about to go off to college, hit the age where dad suddenly sucks, whatever? If it's about family fun get the Toyota now, you won't get killed $-wise owning it for a few years, then get a Bronco. Hell drive the Toyota for 4-5 years and give it to one of the kids when you get a Bronco.

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Didn't read the whole thread but how old are the kids? Do you really want to give up this coming summer while waiting for the Bronco if one is about to go off to college, hit the age where dad suddenly sucks, whatever? If it's about family fun get the Toyota now, you won't get killed $-wise owning it for a few years, then get a Bronco. Hell drive the Toyota for 4-5 years and give it to one of the kids when you get a Bronco.
This is where I am leaning as I head out to dealerships now. I can always trade in the 4Runner in a year or two and know I have decent value in it. Either way I am buying outright. Kids range from 6yr old twins to 27yr old (and 2yr old grand daughter). 6 kids and 2 dogs. It’ll mostly be my wife, 13 yr old son, and twins doing the outings as my older daughters can’t stand camping, hiking, etc.

Sponsored
OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Put off your decision until 2022. Drive a showroom model first. This is a 50k decision. Waiting may be in your best interest
I debated that option but I really want something to take out and about this year. Minivan is dated and if I buy outright I still have the option to change it later. Yes, I’ll lose a bit on trade but not too much considering both should hold their value well.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’ll mostly be my wife, 13 yr old son, and twins doing the outings as my older daughters can’t stand camping, hiking, etc.
Just based on this I'd do Toyota. You've got a relatively short window before 13 turns into 16 and has no time for you, then whichever choice you get will be used to get twins to and from sports, music lessons, whatever. Best of luck hoping they are both into the same thing to save you some headaches!

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You mentioned Ford's twin turbo v6 like it's a bad thing. Hasn't that been a great motor for Ford??
I wasn’t commenting on engine quality, just the additional mechanical components and electronics of the entire package. The “simple” Toyota has what would seem to be less that can go wrong.

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry, didn’t see your thread. At least I’m not the only one...

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m hearing The new Ford F-150 is rusting away underneath . Ford dealerships saying it’s ok and shoeing customers away smh .
https://www.cars.com/articles/see-the-rust-under-our-brand-new-2021-ford-f-150-432957/

You're seeing drama made up for drama's sake. The axle is bare cast iron. It develops some surface rust, then will maintain that finish for the next 40+ years. It is not a safety, quality, or longevity concern.

The frames aren't rusting through, the cabs aren't rusting apart, it's just cast iron developing its own protective layer.

Should Ford have coated the axle for vanity's sake? Maybe, but only to appease people looking to start and propagate internet drama.
Sponsored