First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Many great mods available for 4-runner and better for overlanding. Quiet on road.... but can't take the top off. I think they look great and you can fix the sluggishness with re-gear (needed with bigger tires) and sprint booster for pedal lag. Resell is crazy on these, so you can always buy a Bronco later after the dust settles and you know the reliability.

4runner1.jpg

4runner2.jpg
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I disagree.

This just popped up on my youtube feed today, and I have to say, I agree with the guy posting. Never had rust on any of my vehicles just from sitting, brand new and not being through a North East winter with salt and water spread all over the bottom for 4 months.

After running through trails, scraping and slamming against rocks??? Yes, I'd say yes, expect that.

Brand new, 50 K vehicle, off the factory line? Unacceptable. Especially as low that the frame, drive shaft, etc sit below the body on this vehicle, it's going to stick out like a turd in a punch bowl, IF this is what's happening on the Bronco assembly.

This looks like it's been dragged and salted for 3 years.
Wow !!

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

6 dogs, 3 kids, unknown number of wives...

Is it too late to look at the Ford Expedition Max XLT?

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2012 Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice, congrats. I've got 2,000 miles on my Pro 4Runner (also Lunar Rock) and am loving everything about it except the MPG. I thought about a Bronco too, but I didn't have an early reservation and needed a new vehicle before sometime in 2022. The Bronco is intriguing for sure, but I think the TRD Pro looks way better. I'm looking forward to seeing Broncos on the road, and I hope they're awesome, but I've got no regrets whatsoever about the 4Runner.

I'd probably be bummed with MPG too but my 2012 Caravan isn't doing the best either. This tank I'm at 14.8 (all city/stop and go driving) so that particular issue was a wash to me. And I too am looking forward to seeing the Broncos but also the 2023 6th Gen 4 Runner (if it happens). Since I own my 2021 outright (and I've prepped my wife), I may just decide in a few years to trade for either of those. However, if I really like this one I may just mod it for overlanding a bit and be done.

Sponsored
OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2012 Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
6 dogs, 3 kids, unknown number of wives...

Is it too late to look at the Ford Expedition Max XLT?
HAHA - 1 wife as it is illegal in my area to have more than 1 :)

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HAHA - 1 wife as it is illegal in my area to have more than 1 :)
If it were not illegal, you might need a couple of Expeditions?

I kid I kid. Congrats on your new truck.

Nvalli1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Tomorrow I finalize either my Bronco order or my 2021 Lunar Gray TRD Pro purchase (being built now w/delivery end of April). I've spent way too much time learning all the off-roading/overlanding lifestyle in the last year. To be quite honest, I am torn. A few thousand less for TRD PRO vs. my intended Badlands/Lux/Sasquatch build. Toyota is "old" but bulletproof and has incredible re-sale value.

Intended use is simple, go off beaten path, get my kids involved, and I tend to push limits. Rock crawling? Not likely, but then again, if the opportunity comes... My oldest son already want to "get lost" and go fishing, camping, etc.

So here's my dilemma: Ford ... I've loved the Bronco style since it was first put out there, the styling is phenomenal in my opinion and color choices are great as all but black appeal to me. Capabilities in KOH videos seem excellent.. BUT, Ford.. delays, rust, twin turbo v6, and tons of electronics = worry me about reliability. I may also be a bit biased because my particular dealer is awful with communication and transparency.
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro: wasn't a fan of the style until I looked at it more, and more, and more. Then I found all the after-market world which is very Jeep-like. I can get the TRD Pro for about $6K less than the Badlands build I have. The 4Runner is dated, has way less options (and electronics) and I would still go 33s and a lift which is extra cash but I can to that for $400 from westcott. Is it bad that it's not a twin-turbo v6 with all the bells and whistles.. hmmm (more to go wrong?)

So, help me.. tomorrow I meet with Ford first thing in AM to do my build. Then I walk without giving them the $900 additional they want to meet with Toyota. There I will speak with sales manager who had no idea I was paying cash and wanted to talk financing options. :) I personally like the styling of the bronco better and those 35s.. and all that capability. But the 4Runner is 98% as capable and most of the driving is still on-road.

At the end of the day, I want a long-term off road vehicle that once all my kids are out of the house my wife and I can go and enjoy. .... So, I welcome any and all insight.
Easiest decision I’ve made since reserving my bronco...I’m going with the Tundra TRD Pro, in Lunar Rock of course. Delivery date of 4/20/21. Saved myself 15k from the wildtrak price, as well as getting everything I want....NO COMPROMISE FORD MOTOR COMPANY. They gave me 12k over my payoff on my 18’ Cement Grey Tundra TRD off road. Sneak peek below

34C14DAA-4F0C-4CB9-B6BF-34C149D69A14.jpeg

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Easiest decision I’ve made since reserving my bronco...I’m going with the Tundra TRD Pro, in Lunar Rock of course. Delivery date of 4/20/21. Saved myself 15k from the wildtrak price, as well as getting everything I want....NO COMPROMISE FORD MOTOR COMPANY. They gave me 12k over my payoff on my 18’ Cement Grey Tundra TRD off road. Sneak peek below

34C14DAA-4F0C-4CB9-B6BF-34C149D69A14.jpeg
Looks great! Congrats. Were you always cross shopping a full size truck with a Bronco? 4Runner, sure, but a Tundra is a completely different vehicle. Or am i crazy?

Edit. Just saw you currently have an 18 tundra, so I'm guessing you already like that one and just wanted to get a newer one since you can't get the bronco with the stuff you want.

Nvalli1980

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks great! Congrats. Were you always cross shopping a full size truck with a Bronco? 4Runner, sure, but a Tundra is a completely different vehicle. Or am i crazy?

Edit. Just saw you currently have an 18 tundra, so I'm guessing you already like that one and just wanted to get a newer one since you can't get the bronco with the stuff you want.
I wanted and still want a bronco. They took away too many options, then my X-Plan pricing, and body color roof. Among the price of 63k for the wildtrak. Then interior features look like vomit, so I went with the last V8 Toyota will make, already have offers of 65k for a truck I haven’t even purchased yet. So it makes the bronco not so limited anymore. To answer your question, yes it’s totally different but has the same....well similar off road features for my skill level.

Edit: Lunar Rock TRD Pro (Tundra, 4 Runner, Tacoma, Sequoia) are currently so limited thy it makes the Bronco appear to be just another Ford Escape. Google it or call a Toyota dealership near you and ask them. They usually laugh and say good luck finding one. I found mine in MI and I live in FL. Paying MSRP, no ADM and they gave me free 12k towards the purchase, it’s a no brainer.

Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you drive the 4runner? They look polished inside I guess but you can tell driving them that underneath it's a very old vehicle. I mean it rocks forward and back stopping at traffic lights longer than homer's fat gut. If I was paying that kind of money for a new vehicle I wouldn't settle for old school design and suspension.

Edit: Why not just not order either until you can see the bronco in person? The backlog will go down quick.
The 4runner and it's assembly line brother the Lexus GX are both amazing vehicles, but they are a dozen years old. They are really tired and as mentioned, the technology is old. When they overhaul that chassis and both models, it will be lights out. Until then it is like owning a wrangler... is that a 2021 or a 2014?

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tomorrow I finalize either my Bronco order or my 2021 Lunar Gray TRD Pro purchase (being built now w/delivery end of April). I've spent way too much time learning all the off-roading/overlanding lifestyle in the last year. To be quite honest, I am torn. A few thousand less for TRD PRO vs. my intended Badlands/Lux/Sasquatch build. Toyota is "old" but bulletproof and has incredible re-sale value.

Intended use is simple, go off beaten path, get my kids involved, and I tend to push limits. Rock crawling? Not likely, but then again, if the opportunity comes... My oldest son already want to "get lost" and go fishing, camping, etc.

So here's my dilemma: Ford ... I've loved the Bronco style since it was first put out there, the styling is phenomenal in my opinion and color choices are great as all but black appeal to me. Capabilities in KOH videos seem excellent.. BUT, Ford.. delays, rust, twin turbo v6, and tons of electronics = worry me about reliability. I may also be a bit biased because my particular dealer is awful with communication and transparency.
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro: wasn't a fan of the style until I looked at it more, and more, and more. Then I found all the after-market world which is very Jeep-like. I can get the TRD Pro for about $6K less than the Badlands build I have. The 4Runner is dated, has way less options (and electronics) and I would still go 33s and a lift which is extra cash but I can to that for $400 from westcott. Is it bad that it's not a twin-turbo v6 with all the bells and whistles.. hmmm (more to go wrong?)

So, help me.. tomorrow I meet with Ford first thing in AM to do my build. Then I walk without giving them the $900 additional they want to meet with Toyota. There I will speak with sales manager who had no idea I was paying cash and wanted to talk financing options. :) I personally like the styling of the bronco better and those 35s.. and all that capability. But the 4Runner is 98% as capable and most of the driving is still on-road.

At the end of the day, I want a long-term off road vehicle that once all my kids are out of the house my wife and I can go and enjoy. .... So, I welcome any and all insight.
10 speed transmission makes a big difference. I could not stand the slow shifting on the 4Runner I drove. That is actually what made me cross it off the list.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted and still want a bronco. They took away too many options, then my X-Plan pricing, and body color roof. Among the price of 63k for the wildtrak. Then interior features look like vomit, so I went with the last V8 Toyota will make, already have offers of 65k for a truck I haven’t even purchased yet. So it makes the bronco not so limited anymore. To answer your question, yes it’s totally different but has the same....well similar off road features for my skill level.

Edit: Lunar Rock TRD Pro (Tundra, 4 Runner, Tacoma, Sequoia) are currently so limited thy it makes the Bronco appear to be just another Ford Escape. Google it or call a Toyota dealership near you and ask them. They usually laugh and say good luck finding one. I found mine in MI and I live in FL. Paying MSRP, no ADM and they gave me free 12k towards the purchase, it’s a no brainer.
My Wildtrak is a lot less than $63k. :LOL:

Paying MSRP is a no brainer? Okay. You do you.

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love Tacos and 4Runners, I've always liked them from back in 2000 with the PreRunners.

BUT there are so many new modern Tacomas/4Runners that have been overlanded out, I'll be glad to be at least a little different for the time being.

The Toyota is definitely the "smarter" choice.
Sponsored